1. This forum is in read-only mode.

zelda series is in trouble

Discussion in 'Gaming Lounge' started by ultra, Dec 4, 2009.

1. ultra

ultra Guest

http://www.nintendodsi.com/iwataasks/vol10_page5.html

zelda a puzzle game? i thought it was a fantasy adventure game.
    if you look at zelda 1,2,3 and ocarina of time, to the zelda series today, they are very different.

2. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

Actually every Zelda is kind of different. The first Zelda had a large large focus on exploration, akin to Metroid.
    The second Zelda, obviously, was a side scroller with exploration.

Link to the Past was the same as the first one but had towns (like Zelda 2) and two worlds.

Ocarina of Time obviously, was 3D, besides that, not much was new besides items and stuff.

Majora's Mask had the three day system.

Wind Waker had the graphics and the whole setting of Hyrule, along with boats.

And Twilight Princess had the Wolf segments.

Link's Awakening wasn't too different, but Oracles of Seasons and Ages where different with the Seasons and time features. Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks are different in it's control scheme.

They mention nothing of Zelda being only and solely a puzzle game, if you go into dungeons and stuff, there's puzzles in the dungeon to progress through the dungeon. I don't know where you got to your conclusion ultra and I've only read the last section of this, they only talk about the puzzles in the dungeon. I haven't played Spirit Tracks yet, but the puzzles are supposed to be harder than most Zelda games.

Deciphering some of the maps on Phantom Hourglass were damn cool though. I remember figuring out the one where you had to close the DS.

3. spire208

spire208 Well-Known Member

Hey you forgot The Minish Cap.
    And Zelda still is still a fantasy adventure game they just added the puzzles I dont think thats to bad.

4. icky99

icky99 Member

Every Zelda game has its own flavor, seems like spirit tracks will do something that most zelda games havent, and thats throw more puzzles at the player, that might not be bad

i originally dismissed Phantom Hourglass, untill i got a DS flash card and played it, its actually a great game!, the touch screen helps with solving puzzles, so maybe Spirit tracks will do it better.

5. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

Puzzles were always in Zelda games. Always, even OoT was puzzle heavy. Oracle of ages was extremely puzzle heavy.

Oh yeah, Minish Cap, whatever. I didn't like that one much anyways. :\

I forgot Four Swords, it's obvious what it brough new to the table when it comes to Zelda games.

Although the formula for Zelda games are the same, they're different enough.

Oracle Of Ages has the most puzzles in any Zelda game to date, I don't know if Spirit Tracks is different though.

6. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

All zelda games have puzzles in them-infact it's 70% puzzles to me.

Not that my math is appaling :(

Anyway...I like spirit tracks a fair bit, nothing wrong with making people think is there?

7. SoulSin

SoulSin Well-Known Member

enjoyed every line of that interview.

I am feeling anxious now... wanna play the game >_<

8. ultra

ultra Guest

you have to ask yourself, how the hell does trains fit in zelda?

there was a part in the interview where when they thought of trains in a zelda game, some of the people were a bit skeptical. it tells you that there is a certain perception of what a zelda game is and they may have ignored it.

is it puzzles or exploration?

when i saw spirit tracks for ds during e3 2009, i was really baffled! trains in zelda?!
    i think something is wrong. whoever is in charge is doing a bad job at it.

9. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

They had steamboats in Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass. The tech is there for trains. I don't see how it doesn't fit. Also Spirit Tracks is getting good reviews.

I'm glad they ignore what people want. Twilight Princess is what people wanted, an OoT clone (seriously, it felt like Oot), and ultimately, it wasn't that great.

It's both puzzles and exploration.

Ultra, you're not being consistent at all. You praise the Wii for having motion control, a new concept, yet you can't grasp that there's a minuscule change in Zelda because there's trains.

10. timbizcut

timbizcut Well-Known Member

Ultra, why do I have to ask myself how trains fit in Zelda? I play Zelda for a certain flavour which Spirit Tracks seems to have in droves. So Hyrule has an organized mass transit system. How does this translate into people doing wrong by the franchise. I'm not sure when Spirit Tracks takes place. Maybe it has been a few decades since we last left Hyrule and things have progressed?

Ultra in your opinion, what was the last 'true' Zelda game. (PS, fro the record my favorite Zelda games are Majoras Mask and (shock! horror) and Twilight Princess.

11. olliebot

olliebot Well-Known Member

Exactly this. I personally think they should make a steampunk zelda game. That would please me very much, and it seems the zelda series is starting to turn that way.

12. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

Spirit Tracks takes place a bit after Phantom Hourglass, I think.

13. spire208

spire208 Well-Known Member

100 years after Phantom Hourglass

14. Luga

Luga Well-Known Member

This new Zelda game, Spirit Tracks seems to have puzzles that are less "gimmicky" than Phantom Hourglass. (Like the one where you needed to close your DS! WTF!?!)

15. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

I thought it was awesome. It's like one of the riddles from Professor Layton except more literal.

16. robolink

robolink Well-Known Member

Have you...Ever played A Zelda game? like..Ever? =.=

Zelda is a perfect fusion of elements as diverse as exploration, collection, puzzle salving, combat, and storytelling.

Also I am playing Spirit Tracks as we talk, Its still Zelda. Actually it has a lot of nostalgic feeling to it. Zelda is not JUST a puzzle game. Zelda is perfect.

17. yeh I figured that one out but I had the old DS, without the 'standby' kind of feature when you shut the ds, so I got to the end, figured out i needed a NDS lite, bought one of them and started again.

18. abiyo

abiyo Well-Known Member

the zelda gameS have to many puzzles to solve! the first time i played zelda when i was 9 years old! i feel like crying..(doesn't find the way)it bothers me until i found GBA!

19. timbizcut

timbizcut Well-Known Member

abiyo, your are starting to rival ultra in the league of incomprehensible posts! Perhaps you and he could have a contest to see which of you can write the most nonsensical post ever! (Or is that what you 2 are already up too?)

20. N3o3k7

N3o3k7 Well-Known Member

I agree with most people hear every Zelda game has puzzles you need to solve but that doesn't means there isn't any exploring to do i just recently finished spirit tracks and it toke me 35+ hours to complete because i wanted to explore each area and find the heart containers and the item upgrades and anything else there was to do in the game (not gonna spoil anything for people those 2 things i think people expect to do in a Zelda game)

and in my personal opinion this game is the best portable Zelda game its fun to play has a great story and really good gameplay and something else that helps a game a great musical score, the only game i like more than this is twilight princess (although i don't hate any Zelda game i just find these 2 the most enjoyable to play)