1. This forum is in read-only mode.

xp wouldn't install in sata hard drive

Discussion in 'Computers & Modding' started by killer69, Aug 2, 2009.

1. killer69

killer69 Well-Known Member

ok i went back and swap a new hard drive and try to install xp but it fail at the same spot again. the bsod says IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL and stop error 0x0000000A. what does this means?

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

312W will almost certainly not be enough. You want at least 500W these days, certainly not less than 400W, and it should be from a reputable manufacturer, such as Antec, Seasonic, Silverstone, OCZ, Corsair, Coolermaster or Thermaltake. Don't skimp on the PSU because if it blows it could take the rest of the computer with it.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL is usually hardware related. Check the RAM is good, and that all the fans are working. Make sure there isn't a buildup of dust in any heatsinks, and that theres airflow through the case.

3. killer69

i uninstalled the ram and plug it back in still same error. fans are all working. how do u tell whether there is not enough power for the pc?

4. Loonylion

either get a power meter (plugs in to the power socket and measures how much the computer draws) or get the power specs for all the components and use maths

5. killer69

i dun have a power meter....i might have to look for all the power specs. are they all gonna be on the sticker on the component?

6. Loonylion

some might be, others will be available in documentation on the internet. If its not printed in watts, try looking for the voltage (V) and current (A), as the product of these is the power in watts

Also, wattage in processors is referred to as thermal design power, or TDP.

7. ICE-X

ICE-X Well-Known Member

You can try this site to calculate the Wattage you need http://www.antec.outervision.com/
    I think that it's accurate. I'm happy this didn't happen during my first build. I hope you get it working though.

8. Loonylion

all online calculators are rough estimates. working it out yourself is much more accurate, but the most accurate method is a power meter.

9. ultra

ultra Guest

are you running dual [sli or crossfire] video cards? what video card are you running?

do you have a lower end video card?

if you have a lower end video card [that is a video card that isn't very powerful] and you are able to use it on your motherboard, then you can use that instead of using a powerful video card. this is simply to check to see if you have enough power in the system before actually going out to buy a new power supply.

the power supply, 320watts, that you have should be more then enough for running the basic or rather low end components. i have a 275watt power supply that is running a micro atx dual core amd processor computer with onboard video and running one hard drive and an optical drive.

also, if you do have a low end video card and are able to use it on your motherboard, reduce the amount of memory to 1 stick.

the low end video card should not require any additional power from the power supply [that is you don't have to connect any additional cables to the video card from the power supply].

lastly, have you installed the current win xp that is having problems with this machine on other computers and have success?

10. killer69

my video card is budget graphics card called zotac 9600GT which doesn't require a power supply to connect to it. motherboard is intel dp45sg, 2x 2gb kingston 1333mhz ddr3 ram, hitachi 500gb sata 2 hard drive and samsung dvd driver. it always stop at the same spot which is when xp is installing devices and there is 35 minutes left and when the bar is halfway. if nothing works i might try vista.

11. Loonylion

that spec sounds way too high for a 312W PSU, replace it.

12. ultra

ultra Guest

based on what he listed on the parts he's using, it's not really high end especially knowing that he never overclocked any of the components, the power supply is more then enough.

pci express video cards that don't use additional power run at about 70-80watts [my geforce 8600gt, for instance, only uses the pci express power and doesn't require additional power source from the power unit].

the processor runs at about 60-80watts.

hard drives and optical drives run about 20-30 watts

the motherboard and everything [memory] runs 80watts or less.

have you tried conneting the sata cable to a different sata port on the motherboard [that is instead of having it in port 1 on the motherboard, try port 2,3...].

i really have no idea what could be the problem. have you tried installing the windows xp on other machines? btw, is this a slipstreamed windows xp? try the vista and see what happens? if the vista installs, it could be the windows xp software.

13. Loonylion

he's using DDR3 ram, which means a pretty modern processor, those can be anything up to 150W. (that specific board supports processors as low as 35W and as high as 136W), so either way hes pushing it closer than he should with a no-name weird rating PSU.

14. killer69

well, i brought it back to the store and asked them to check for me. they called me just now and said it's fixed and told me it was a ram problem and installed a 30 day trial xp pro for me as well. any of u guys know what the ram problem might be cos the guy is reluctant to tell me and can i insert the product key of my xp pro into the xp pro that the store have installed for me or do i have to do a clean installation again?

15. Loonylion

bad ram. its not repairable other than replacing the bad stick.

16. ultra

ultra Guest

i told you your system had more then enough power to run everything.

you can use the product key of your previous windows xp pro into the current windows xp pro os that the technician installed. microsoft made windows in which you can copy as much and give as much but what mattered most was the purchase of the license. if you ever check newegg, sometimes you'll see a microsoft product for sale and has the feature for 3 licenses. this doesn't mean three cd's or whatever the item is, but rather 1 product with three license key.

the only reason to do a reinstall of the windows xp pro again is to see if there really is no more problems.

bad ram is replaceable, but the question remains if it was the memory stick or the ram slot.

17. Loonylion

there are different versions of XP, and the keys are not interchangeable.

18. killer69

yeah well inserting product key didn't work and when reinstalling my xp. guess what? same thing happened. it says 0x0000000A (0x00000010, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x8051AA58) i google this exact stop error and seems like a lot of people has the same problem when installing xp and some guy said it is due to the xp being incompatible with all the latest hardware. he suggested sp2 or higher and i think this is proven because the xp that the store installed for me is xp sp3. it couldnt be any hardware issues since i just got it checked by the store technician and he said he did hardware tests and found them to all work.

19. ultra

ultra Guest

all right, the problem was with the software, not the hardware.
    after asking all those question i asked, i found it pretty uncertain why it would be the ram. now after you tried reinstalling, it wouldn't work and found it was the software.

slipstream the windows xp with sp3 and see if that solves the problem. other wise, install vista.

lastly, sorry about the serial incompatibility.

20. killer69

yeah sp3 solve the problem thanks but i have another problem and i started a new post. plese help as well. thanks.