1. This forum is in read-only mode.

xbox, is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by ultra, Mar 5, 2007.

?

is it worth it to purchase a first generation xbox [not 360].

1. yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. no

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. get 360 instead

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. get ps3 instead

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ps2 = xbox in terms of games

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ultra

ultra Guest

i've suddenly have an interest in the first generation of xbox. i don't know where this interest came from. but i'm unsure if it's worth the cost. i know it's fully dead because microsoft has killed like 2 years ago. but in terms of it's games, do they have a good collection of game [not fps based games]. btw, i don't really care about the emulators it can play on it because you can always connect your computer to the tv and play it from there with far superior power then the xbox.

i don't see any good games when i go to the game store. most of there library are corrupted with sports and fps or online rpgs. btw, do the online rpgs require online like the pc world or are they like phantasy star where it's a matter of rather you want to or not. i don't really care much for sports other then racing games. i'm basically looking for something unique that the system has to offer that the gamecube and the ps2 cannot, other then emulation capability.

2. Prototype

Prototype Well-Known Member

I mean it all depends, the Xbox generation is coming up with good and killer games but in terms so does the PS 2 and PS3 also the Xbox 360 as well, you see they are all un even, most games you want are in a diff console, so it all depends. I have the first genration Xbox, I like it because it has some prety cool games, such as First shooter games, Destructive games and mission games. some racing but Im not that into racing. If your into sports then it has a whole mess of sports games, other then the fact that the xbox does have equal capabilities as the pc does, most games are made or are alike to the pc gaming world., I think thats what microsoft wanted you peeps to get too....the fact that they made a console similar to a PC with games that are similar to a PC. other then the fact that you can play emulators on it, Im not sure what else it can offer you, other then that it comes with its own hard drive a big hard drive if you ask me, you can also change the DVD drive to a DVD burner or a CD drive. you can pretty much ad any hard drive in it like a pc does, practically think of it this way, the Xbox is your miny PC, if your good at computer engeneering or a technician with good soldering skills, you might just be able to play your movies in there and I dont mean dvd's I mean play movies that you download of the pc, play your songs that are in data format etc etc, pretty much anything that you do in your computer you can do with your xbox, if you mod it.....other then that, thats all I can think off, as for the xbox 360, Im not too sure because Im too broke to buy 1 at this moment, but I do believe that what you can do with the first xbox, you can do a little better with the xbox 2 because of its double core high performance Processor.

The only think that I dont like bout the xbox is the online play, you have to pay just to go online with the oxbox, its ridiculous, I mean paying for the internet and then pay just to play online, thats the only thing I dont like bout it, but Im cool eith it because I have my pc to do it. thats the only thing I like bout the PS2 and 3 because you dont have to pay to play online.

3. iamlegend

iamlegend Well-Known Member

The only games its worth getting for are Shenmue 2 and Knights of the Old Republic..I think..Get a 360 instead..pure class

4. bobdrakke

bobdrakke Member

Bump
    get it moded hard or soft use xbox media centre plays and streams most media with some exceptions to high bitrate h.264.

game wise it depends what you're after I always get multi format/ player games for xbox not ps2 due to having to buy multitap to play 4player.

Car games Forza, Pgr 1 & 2, the rest are multi format

RPG KOTR, Jade Empire,

fps probaly better on PC but due to M$ you can't play unless you vista for games like halo2 and definately 3.

5. ericyang83

ericyang83 New Member

X Box in my opinion doesn't have the issues that the 360 has, such as; over heating (number one problem). With the 360 it is also harder to mod due to the fact that Microsoft saw what was capable with the X Box. As you all know Bill Gates and Microsoft likes to control their stuff.

I hate Microsoft, Linux is the shizznit!

6. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

And they are totally going to flop because with the overhead of running windows vista there arent enough resources left to run the game. It is claimed to be a gamers' OS, but in reality its the dead opposite.

7. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

On top of that there's the graphic drivers; they're a mockery no less! If I compare a more dated comp running XP to a newer comp running Vista the XP one wins; despite having slower hardware!

Vista is a joke, and a bad one at that.

8. Prototype

Prototype Well-Known Member

Yeah i would have to say that vista does suck for sure, its a wanna be version of the XP style, when my friend first got vista and installed it in hes computer, he told me it sucked, when I tried it on hes computer damn did that os really suck, not only did it not let me play games on it...but the performance was dropped drastically....and hes computer was pretty fast, faster then mine for sure.....

9. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I have been lucky enough to do a direct comparison; my dad's boss got a machine of a similar spec to my own, which had vista on it. The performance was so bad I was longing to use my old 400Mhz that they had in the workshop. as that vista machine was similar to my own (windows 2003) I knew what the performance should have been like

10. stripe

stripe Well-Known Member

you shoud go for the nintendo wii
    i think thats the best console on the market
    to bad of the ugly graphics but if they where good it sure beats all the others!

11. Seph

The graphics aren't that bad, besides. Gameplay > Graphics.
    Once gameplay has been taken care of then you can work on graphics. :)

12. MusicAddict911

MusicAddict911 Well-Known Member

I bet you haven't tried it like all of the other anti Windows Vista people. I've been using Vista on this laptop since March 2007 and I haven't had one problem with drivers; my 2 year old printer can connect, my 3 year old scanner can connect and my 1.5 year old all in one printer can connect. My video card works fine, I can play World of Warcraft and other games fine. If you compare a more dated computer running Windows XP to a newer computer running Windows Vista, the Vista one will probably win. It doesn't drain that much power. I have a semi-low end laptop --- 1.6GHz Intel dual core processor, 1GB of RAM and a 80gig hard drive and this computer works way faster, way smoother and way better than my old 1.7GHz single core processor with 512MB of RAM computer running XP Home.

13. Seph

I'd never give my opinion on the performance of a system I've never tried. Of course I've tried running Vista, my dad has Vista on his computer and I tried installing the same game on his Vista PC that I had running on XP. Even though the graphic settings were at the lowest possible on Vista and was somewhere medium on XP the XP PC out performed the Vista PC despite having slower hardware.

Sure Vista is a nice eye-candy upgrade, some of the features are nice, some are just stupid, most are a waste of CPU speed and RAM. I still stand by my opinion that XP is better than Vista.

14. Mouchette

Mouchette New Member

i've just recently purchased a used xbox, for no small chunk of change, and the only game i've found to be of any lasting worth is MORROWIND (game of the year edition).
    i recommend just buying a copy for your pc (making certain it's the game of the year edition) and putting whatever remaining cash, which would've gone for the console, towards accumulating the following 2 books: Fernando Pessoa's Book of Disquiet and Susan Blackmore's Consciousness: An Introduction.

15. MusicAddict911

Yeah, the games are a bit slower but most tasks I do are the same.

16. Seph

This wasn't only a bit, it was unplayable on Vista, went horribly slow.

17. MusicAddict911

What game was it?

18. Seph

Supreme Commander.

19. equitypetey

equitypetey Well-Known Member

not realy the only games that were any good on the xbox only where the halo's and fable which are all on pc now.
    yes you need vista for halo 2. i don't like vista personaly not cause it sucks but cause i got my pc exactly how i like it now. it only gets super bad reviews (vista sucks) buy retards who don't know much about pc's. microsoft never make anything for the user they make it for them to make money u need a very high spec for it to run fast basicly u need dual core a large ghz one and ram is the key. when u buy a pc out the shops they never give u enough ram u need 1gb just to get the thing going 2gb to run smooth and 4 to run at speed.
    xbox=microfoft=not that good
    yes the 360 looks fancy now but what people foget is it is still on dvd. ok its dvd9 but it still means the games are limited because its got about 3-4 years befor it is shadowed by everything.
    people slate the ps3 at the mo but what people forget is that the games at the mo are lacking cause game developers are spending time to develop the games xbox rushed in making good games for now but just wait in 5 years ps3 will dominate cause it runs on blu-ray's they have 25gb single 50gb duel of space to put games on which means longer game play better graphics. ok ps3 is not so great for the modding comunity but someone will crack soon.
    pc will always be the best as its always upgadeable as long as u keep up with with the new tech its all good.
    but for me ps2 will always have a place in my heart it is great u can pick one up for nothing u don't need to chip it just get swap magic and as long as u remeber to use -r's it works great. wide range of games to suit any gamer and they are still producing games for it so if ur a hardcore gamer that does not have the cash to aford a new gen or a high spec pc its the best choice and the graphics ain't faw of the new gens at the mo.

20. xHaiTeKx

xHaiTeKx Well-Known Member

Didn't Microsoft make it now so that if you go buy a PC it comes installed with Vista NO MATTER WHAT? Like it doesn't even matter what computer it is..they don't even give you the choice of XP. Um..wtf? It's like Microsoft pulling down their pants in front of you and your parents and just saying, "Look I'm an asshole!"

BTW, if this isn't true...my last statement still applies to Microsoft..one way or the other, I just have to find a valid reason, which with Microsoft I totally will.

-TeK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.