1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Xbox 360 and RRoD.

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by mr.nintendo, Oct 26, 2009.

1. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

No, you should lay it flat. Don't stand it up. There are air vents on both sides, and on the top. If you stand it up right, you will be blocking the vents on the side.

I keep mine on a wire game rack on the top of my desk, laying flat. Plenty of air flow around it.

2. airdash123

airdash123 Well-Known Member

There we go, flat like ass on my wood thingy ;) As long its not in a cabinet its fine right ?

3. equitypetey

equitypetey Well-Known Member

;D not very observant are we?

4. airdash123

I read that before but somehow my brain thought it was shit so it just threw it away :p I've been searching on google that what way should i put it and some people say lay it/stand it.. I'll just go with standing up since they built the pad on the bottom,.. I just think that they don't build that pad just to make it cooler.

5. equitypetey

well take it from someone that has opened a fair few 360's that the main place for air to get in is on that bottom, if you stand it up you basically lose it and airflow is minimal from else where.

if anyone says stand it they are a fool.

[​IMG]

take a look at it for your self, the main place that the air flow is not blocked is that bottom edge (the one it stands up on).
    if you stand it up it is basically like putting it in a cabinet and is more likely to heat up.

so as said to help not cook your 360 lay it down, it also helps to remove the mesh at the back, plastic and metal one (helps the air get out and helps fan noise) but obviously this is only an option for consoles with no warranty.

on a side note i can stand mine up but then most people don't have a pc case fan mounted on the side

6. airdash123

All right bro, i trusted you... I better not get RRoD

7. equitypetey

;D it won't stop you getting it just helps not to.

you can never stop 360 from dying, it's the right it has as a Microsoft product and it's destiny to do so.

8. airdash123

Lol, of course i know it will dies someday.. but i just want to keep it long as possible..

How many hours should you play your xbox a day and how long should i let it rest and play it again ?

9. equitypetey

there is no answer to that as it is dependant of many variables like where you keep your xbox, what the performance the game requires, airflow and air temperature around your xbox so on and so on.

some people have played for 6 hours a day since the 360 came out and it's still going to this day and some have played one hour a day and it die within the month.

so i quote

10. bobafett1136

bobafett1136 Well-Known Member

The only problem with the Xbox is that they have so much stuff squished into such a small space it gets hot SUPER FAST. If they had been smart enough and made the box a bit bigger there wouldn't be all those problems going on. I personally recommend getting a PS3. NO i am not a fanboy I have both consoles and my Elite died in 6 months and I've had my 60GB PS3 since launch and it works perfectly.

A trick to keep your Xbox running for longer is laying it flat on the bottom side where the white or black metal face is. and to also make there is a 5cm space of empty air around the 360 and not to keep it in a cabinet.

Boba

11. equitypetey

It's not justthat it's squashed in to a small box it's also the heat sinks suck and are poorly placed, the thermal paste they use is rubbish, the fans in them are rubbish, the air flow inside is poor and any air that does move doesn't go through the heatsinks not to mention that they made it so it can stand up which blocks the little air flow there is.

12. bobafett1136

bobafett1136 Well-Known Member

That added on to the tiny area span = XBOX PWNED.

13. videogamers0

videogamers0 Member

about a year and a half ago my xbox got the RROD but even though it wasn't under warranty they were fixing them for free (although it did take forever to get my new, working xbox...)

then about a week ago, guess what happens? Ya, another freaking red ring of death
    but since I didn't want to wait a month to continue my gaming I just did the infamous 'towel trick' and got it working for a few days. Then today the towel trick wore off so I had to do it again =\

my xbox was on it's side and on an open shelf the whole time and I've still had two RROD's so it's pretty much bound to happen. Enjoy your ticking-time-bomb if you do buy one

I've got a theory: Microsoft designed their console to die on us after 1-2 years so that anyone who voided their warranty with mod chips and stuff get screwed over!!! which is why I'm afraid to pirate 360 games =p (well that and the probably inevitable ban from xbl)