1. This forum is in read-only mode.

world wide virus on april 1 2009, conficker virus

Discussion in 'General News' started by ultra, Apr 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barathrum

Barathrum Well-Known Member

APRIL FOOLS

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

conficker isn't an april fools unfortunately, it's a real trojan.

3. bhatooth

bhatooth Well-Known Member

nothing pop outs like APRIL FOOLS!!

4. Barathrum

Barathrum Well-Known Member

just do the steps microsoft says to prevent the spread.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/962007

5. Loonylion

Conficker has now become active.

6. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Oh shoot! What are the symptoms if you haphazardly got it loony?

7. Deathbreak911

Deathbreak911 Well-Known Member

It's active? What's it do? MAH PR0NZ!!! IZ IT GOENZ?!?!??!?!

8. Loonylion

little is known about what it does, as the code is heavily encrypted. It is believed to be a remote control backdoor (i.e a trojan), that potentially also contains a keylogger and/or a rootkit. When activated it randomly contacts one of the following websites to determine if an internet connection is present: AOL, MSN, CNN, Ebay or myspace, so in theory if you block all those sites it will never do anything. It is believed it will delete itself on the 3rd of May (allegedly leaving the trojan part). Signs of infection are an inability to access the microsoft website or websites of major antivirus vendors.

9. branraf

branraf Well-Known Member

Hey, i just want the reward microsoft have put out to catch this ass. I don't got conficker anyways yet.

10. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Thank God I don't have AOL, MSN & my myspace I already deleted & yeah I haven't gone to eBay & CNN for months. I can log onto Microsoft's & my Anti-Virus providers' sites whew!.

Damn thing's a rootkit, dang!

11. 1prinnydood

1prinnydood Guest

Agree with Loony, as it would seem to be currently installing a known rootkit, and opening a known backdoor, there may be more to the current payload than what is understood. Either the payload of the current update has more to it or the people involved are simply using this to fish for more info regarding removal of the worm or systems protection and response when active in any given machine.

I think, at this point, unless it grabs a new payload very fast, or the old payload has more to it than can be established it is probably only a test run. If this project is a means to comprimise computers in itself it is a failure as I don't think the makers where thinking small scale. I very much doubt this was intended as a way to sell on botnets or bank details.

If you are concerned Sophos has this free service http://www.sophos.nl/products/free-tools/conficker-removal-tool.html

12. Murderbox

Murderbox Active Member

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/breakingnews/infotech/view/20090412-198873/New-Conficker-worm-lurks

</3

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.