1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Wireless Routers

Discussion in 'Computers & Modding' started by SpeedSyndicate, Jan 24, 2009.

1. kanakacheek

kanakacheek Well-Known Member

My house is 2 stories and I have low signal as well, I give up trying to connect to the internet from upstairs.

2. Void

Void Well-Known Member

Wireless-N is significantly less apparent.

3. littedemon

littedemon New Member

i shall say: a sweex LW050v2

4. Miminari

Miminari Well-Known Member

"The G-router is more stable. If you have a small house i suggest a G-Router. If your house is like 2 stories and you have wirelesss connections everywhere get the N."

Complete and utter BS (personally).
    Literally, when you enter my house, you've seen almost the whole interior.
    Yet my G disconnects at least 5 times a day.

Plus, my download speed is crap. I don't have the patience for torrents due to this.

5. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

switch it to a different channel then.

6. Miminari

Miminari Well-Known Member

Yeah, but I'm not sure if it's my ISP (AT&T) or something.
    My dad has been procrastinating on getting another ISP, but since our cells are all under AT&T, I'd doubt it... >=/

7. Loonylion

if the actual wireless connection drops it's nothing to do with the ISP, it's probably interference on the wireless channel.

8. damanali

damanali Well-Known Member

i was planning to buy a wireless router, and the sales rep told me to buy a N router rather than a G cause of the walls in our house.

but if i buy an N-router will the "wall" problems disappear? and will it cover a 2 story, 100+ meter long house? from point to point?

9. Loonylion

it won't disappear, no. N uses technology that reduces signal loss through walls (in other words it transmits a stronger signal to start with). The problem still exists, N just mitigates it somewhat. I can't tell you what coverage you'd get, it depends how many walls, how thick they are and what they are made of, but a typical 100mw wireless g router will cover a 150m radius in an open field. In my parent's two story 4-bedroom house our wireless AP (802.11a/b/g) is upstairs near one corner of the house and easily covers the entire house.

10. damanali

is there a device like a connector to extend the router's signal? like for example the router covers 150meters then from that 150, i will place the device to extend to another 150 meters? like detours for the signal to avoid the walls?

11. Loonylion

You'd need another router, or a boosted aerial on the router. Some routers have a 'range extender' mode where it does exactly what you want, i.e sits on an existing wireless network and extends the signal coverage.

EDIT: seems wireless range extenders do exist, but in many cases another router would probably be cheaper if you can find one that does it.

12. damanali

ah, i thought it was like the amazing race, where there are different devices to detour the signal.

thanks!

13. ThisIsTheUsername

ThisIsTheUsername Active Member

Loonylion, (all) your posts are very informative, thank you!

14. Barathrum

Barathrum Well-Known Member

I'm sorry you have that problem. Could be the router. It's BS because you had a bad experience with it. My downloads is fine even on my laptop which is usually 3 rooms from the router and walls. Around 300 kb torrents with significant seeds and leeches. It might even be your torrent choice.

15. Loonylion

it could be a crap router, but it's most likely they're using a congested channel with a lot of noise and it's interfering with the signal.