1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Windows 8 rumoured to support 360 games

Discussion in 'PC' started by Suiseiseki, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

graphics are beside my point. You are paying money for a shit PC that can only play games. xbox 360 offers nothing a PC doesn't. It is a PC that cant do anything except games. For the same amount of money you can get a PC that can play games, surf the internet, write letters, edit photographs and do all kinds of other stuff.

Wii and PS3 and all other non-microsoft consoles before them are fundamentally different to PCs, all microsoft are doing is selling a crap and crippled PC in a fancy case and calling it a games console.

2. Yutrzenika

Yutrzenika Well-Known Member

That's... a pretty damned stupid way of thinking of it. So just because its made by microsoft that instantly makes it a PC? With that logic an iPhone is just a shitty Mac computer, and a PSP is just a shitty playstation. No, they're two different things altogether, and take into consideration that if somebody owns a 360, they probably already own a PC too. 360 is nothing like a PC, it is a game console, and it is marketed as such, PS3 and Wii and 360 all boast the same features. 360 serves the same purpose as a PS3 or a Wii, playing games.
    Like what the hell kind of logic are you using here? You're pretty much just saying that 360 is a PC just because its made by Microsoft. I bought this GAME CONSOLE because I wanted to play games and maybe watch movies, it does that, PS3 and Wii also do that, if I wanted to send email or browse the web I'd just buy a laptop. OH WAIT ALREADY HAVE ONE.

3. Loonylion

The fact that it is made by microsoft is IRRELEVANT. It is built using PC hardware. NOT specially designed for the sole purpose of being a games/multimedia machine. They have taken commodity hardware like you can buy on newegg and put it in a fancy case. They did exactly the same thing with the original xbox.

4. Jonez001

Jonez001 Well-Known Member

Without reading the rest of the topic: I think this is a bad and a good move.
    Bad because Microsoft will gain more market thingy
    Good: I can finally play some XBOX games on my pc without buying a new console (but Windows OS is as expensive as the Wii now adays)

5. Yutrzenika

Yutrzenika Well-Known Member

So... because its built using PC tech, that makes it a PC? I'm sure PS3 has some PC tech in it too. And just because it happens to have some PC tech in it, doesn't make it any less a game console.

And yeah, I agree with Jonez, they wouldn't implement that feature into their computers, if they started doing that then people would stop buying 360, meaning MSoft would lose money.

6. Loonylion

it is ALL PC hardware. the entire console. and yes, that does make it a PC. it does not 'happen to have some PC tech in it' it is 100% ENTIRELY PC hardware. Nintendo and Sony spend vast sums of money developing their own hardware for their consoles, as did Sega before they retired from the console industry. Microsoft does no such thing.

considering xbox only contributes a very small proportion of their annual income, with the vast majority being PC software sales (particularly windows), they might still do it. Especially as they've been losing sales to the likes of ubuntu and linux mint, they could see this as a means of tempting people back to windows.

7. awesomebros

awesomebros Well-Known Member

I thought the xBox was already on its death bed. I'm pretty sure this will open up a whole new world for Windows users who have been waiting to try some console exclusives such as Castle Crashers, Trials HD, N+, and etc. More users will shell out cash for xBox live.

I'm pretty sure that the, "Windows has more games" argument will return if they implement this.

8. Loonylion

N+ isn't console specific.

9. awesomebros

Oh. Do handhelds not count as consoles?

10. Loonylion

it was also on PC.

11. awesomebros

That was N.

N+ is the sexy new version.

12. Loonylion

N+ was on PC as well, it was a flash game.

13. awesomebros

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%2B
    ----
    N+ wasn't released for the PC.
    N was the flash game released before N+.

14. Void

Void Well-Known Member

I didn't read anything but the thread title but OH SHIT THAT WOULD BE NEAT.

15. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

I can't see the PC getting the full fledged Xbox games like Halo, but as you pointed out, I can TOTALLY see XBLA games coming out on PC. In fact there's a couple coming out soon like Bastion, Limbo, From Dust and a couple others. I think it'd be a great place to put these XBLA games since the PC has such a great indie community and it's a great place to sell these kind of games.

16. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Well-Known Member

oh loony, you're such a kidder.

17. Loonylion

Admittedly they're losing considerably more sales due to national/local governments in various countries switching to linux, but because that is being done on cost grounds (linux/openoffice is free, windows/MS office is far from free) microsoft don't really have a counter argument to present. So microsoft are going after the people they think they might be able to convince to switch back to paying microsoft for software, namely the end users that switched to ubuntu and think its the best thing ever.

18. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

Ha. That made me chuckle. :p

Anyways, it means that I have access to Banjo-Kazooie Nuts and Bolts finally.

19. lewis9191

lewis9191 Well-Known Member

Im talking about console gaming here. We all know you could build a better computer for half the price

20. Void

Void Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure Linux usage has remained fairly steady, even if that steadiness is a slight increase. OS X, on the other hand, is fucking skyrocketing (at least here in the states). But how much do OS X users really care about gaming? Or even Linux users for that matter? And I've never met a Linux guy that doesn't have a Windows installation.