1. This forum is in read-only mode.

windows 7. worth it or not?

Discussion in 'Computers & Modding' started by super_pastafari32, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I run it in classic mode, of course.

2. bLATANT

bLATANT Well-Known Member

I hear the talk about version upgrades and re-learning... Can't agree more! The amount of relearning I have to do (I build windows solutionsand programmes as a career) on each version is nutty! Legacy support? B'ah! Just imagine, if you will, trying to create a program that runs the same in Win98,2000,XP,Vista and 7!!!! In short, nightmare!

FYI: My standard is to wait for Service Pack 2! :D lol

3. Chaellexe

Chaellexe Active Member

I dont think that windows 7 service pack 2 is gonna release soon
    MS send every 3 to 15 days fix updates for windows 7 and if they are gonna wait to fix those
    things than i would think that windows 7 costumers rate is gonna come down

4. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

umm no, they release fixes once a month unless its an exceptional situation. It's called 'patch tuesday' and its the second tuesday of the month.

5. omgwtfitzben

omgwtfitzben Well-Known Member

I have Windows 7, it's fantastic.

6. stirgo1212

stirgo1212 Well-Known Member

Win7 64 bit owns

7. msg2009

msg2009 Romulations sexiest member

ive been using windows 7 ultimate for a while now and its better than xp imo, i have both on partitions and hardly ever use xp anymore.
    the only problem i have is running some old games that ran on xp, the compatability doesn't seem to work properly so i use dosbox or use my xp partition

8. LuckyTrouble77

LuckyTrouble77 Well-Known Member

I haven't had any issues with games yet, but I'm not a big PC gamer. Games like Portal and Doom 3 run flawlessly at least. Recently (well, a month or two ago) upgraded the video card to an actual video card vs the on board chip set. A pretty incredible improvement (obviously). The video card is very compatible with Windows 7 at least though, not a single display issue since installing it.

9. msg2009

try championship manager 94 and zak mckracken and the alien mindbenders, if you can get them to work maybe its my pc

10. qazokm1

qazokm1 Member

Most of the new versions of windows are a rip off, and microsoft keeps stuff locked so you have to buy upgrades.
    stick to XP. or fuck microsoft and get linux or something else.

11. kuroyume_cl

kuroyume_cl New Member

I use 7 on my gaming desktop and on my netbook, and i cringe everytime i have to use XP somewhere... Aero Snap is enough to justify the upgrade imho, and that's just the tip of the iceberg

12. wsemerald

wsemerald Member

keep your XP.
    before I used XP, now Windows 7 on my new laptop,it's very slow

13. LuckyTrouble77

The operating system isn't the slow part, it is the rest of your computer. Run virus scans, spyware scans, and keep a good amount of free memory for it to function properly. You may have just gotten a bad laptop though.

14. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

I personally don't think 7 is worth it.

Though I never have used the full-version.
    It slowed down my desktop tremendously, so I went back to WinLite XP.
    I use Tiny 7 on my Netbook, which runs it fine.

15. LuckyTrouble77

My computer has been running Windows 7 for the past two or three months, and I have yet to have an issue. Although, I upgraded from Vista (got stuck with it, bad deals :/), so Windows 98 would be an upgrade from that.

16. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

I was using Tiny 7 too, and that was slowing down my Desktop. :p
    Tiny XP (my version) uses only around 155MBs of my 722MBs of ram in idle mode with all programs running at startup.

Tiny 7 was just too much.

17. msg2009

i had tiny 7 before ultimate and it was worse than xp, i dont recommend it at all

18. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

I only use it on my netbook because XP doesn't like to install on it... =\

19. timmy1991

timmy1991 Well-Known Member

well, tiny7 is only in its first or second revision, as of now...
    I'm sure eXPerience will be able to fix it up a little more as time goes on

tinyXP itself has 9 revisions

20. Kage56

Kage56 Well-Known Member

revisions?