1. This forum is in read-only mode.

windows 7. worth it or not?

Discussion in 'Computers & Modding' started by super_pastafari32, Feb 23, 2010.

1. MR4Y

MR4Y Well-Known Member

Personally, I'm not the kind of guy that follows OS trends. That was exactly what happened with Vista: many people bought the hype and found out needing to buy almost a new computer for specs to match. Just because it's a 21st century OS doesn't mean it has to be resource hungry. You can pretty much run(with a few tweaks in some cases) any recent linux distro on any given pc. The problem here it's that windows is only getting bigger and hungrier, not better. And on what you should run on which pc:

"If it isn't broken, don't try to fix it."

2. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

Yet there is still no reason to run Windows 7 on a PC with hardware from 1998.

3. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Normally I wouldn't care about an os, as long as it runs...but vista is CRAP compared to XP!!!

But 7 shown me it was way better on my set up, and since I couldn't go back to XP (laptop was vista from start up) I chose 7.

Best choice EVAR!

4. jordo2k1

jordo2k1 New Member

i think people are stuck in the knowledge that windows vista was so bad and windows 7 followed suit.
    i am a pc engineer from the uk and have had plenty of debates and discussions over xp,vista and now 7.
    one thing i will stress straight away is that windows 7 is not i repeat not just a revamped windows vista!
    it is without a doubt a recoded piece of kit from the ground up using peices of projects that worked well in vista (yes it did have it plus points for alot of people).

you will notice weather u install ultimate,basic or tiny etc is that the system spec to run windows 7 is not alot compared to other engines.
    the second thing i will stress is that with the inteligent proccess startup/execution engine you have a clean workable system in virtualy every instance of the day weather u have been gaming all night, coding variables in borland or using photoshop for 10 hrs.

im a keen world of warcraft gamer in my spare time and like to multi task while gaming, windows 7 for gaming has been a huge success and in my own experiance the multi tasking has been second to none.

this isnt a review so i wont go into detail but behind the lush touches of the ui and the quick shortcuts and depth of system managbility there is a gorgeous engine keeping everything ticking over at an awfully fast pace.

weather you have a qaud core processor or old time p4 give this windows 7 1 month on your machine and play with it.

you wont be disapointed and if you are then maybe what your after in an operating system just isnt possible today,for me windows 7 has set a huge line for microsoft to follow.
    if they follow it then the future of windows is finaly looking up again.

5. stirgo1212

stirgo1212 Well-Known Member

BTW Windows 7 Ultimate is pretty darn good. Better than Vista by miles. It comes very close to WinXP

6. PuffyChain

PuffyChain Well-Known Member

I agree. My friend also said like that...

7. theunderling

theunderling Well-Known Member

Did people on here not try W7RC to compare it to XP/Vista.Whether they introduced RC to get people addicted or out of the goodness of their hearts,I dont know.I only upgraded from XP so I can play chess titans

8. MR4Y

MR4Y Well-Known Member

On my "thing" I don't run 7 for two main issues:

-Is not that good for both DAW programs I use. And there's no windows 7 drivers for my audio interface. XP Mode is a shame. A virtual machine running XP. Is this the best Microsoft can do?

-I have limited HD space, so loosing 12/15 Gb just for the OS would mean a lot for me.

9. theunderling

theunderling Well-Known Member

A recovery backup that works in conjunction with a recovery disc takes up about another 25gb also.

10. ultra

ultra Guest

this is according to the end product of the user, what this means is that it's not simply that windows 7 is new and is it worth it but rather what the user intends to do with the product. windows is a platform and it's value is based on what the user intends to do with it.

this is why many people aren't really so concerned with windows vista and windows 7. the only ones who are buying these things are either corporations or businesses [such as computer makers, dell]

if you look at the society as a whole, no one really needs to upgrade to vista or windows 7 as most are using their computers for surfing the net or net related interest. what windows xp offers is more then adequate for majority of the population in terms of using windows for the internet.

if you look in the sphere of pc gaming, dx 10 and dx 11 is available for windows vista and windows 7, but most pc games are made compatible with dx 9, and most people aren't really concerned about the latest dx. even worse is you have companies that make games like torchlight and it is not so much focused on dx 10 or dx11 and a lot of people are having fun playing these games.

the other is development, photos, videos, etc.... it's the same end result.

what i notice is that people are simply buying windows 7 because it's the newest thing and they have to have it. this is indicated by people saying, it's about time because windows xp is like 8 years old. if we take this context, it would be like a person having a good working car and simply decides to get rid of that working car simply because a new one is being released.

so the answer to the question, is windows 7 worth it?! the answer is no! windows xp provides a more workable function that no one really needs to upgrade. microsoft should have transitioned windows xp 32bit into 64bit.

btw, there is an article where microsoft will no longer provide internet explorer 9 for windows xp users. will this be a problem for windows xp users?! no because no other browser developer have ditched xp users like firefox and opera and it will be a big opportunity for those other developers to gain grounds on a market ditched by the owner.

11. hmfan

hmfan Well-Known Member

I myself have said that Windows XP would be my final Windows OS, quite frankly It's all a matter of what you expect to do with your computer, if you want security/peace of mind do not go with a windows OS reguardless of Microsoft's claims of stability security and what not. I admit that Microsoft is stealing their security ideas from a good source, (linux mainly) But because it is still the major OS of the world. (Windows XP is the one that has something like 65 something % of the Windows computers out there) something like about 90% of the world is windows computers.

But anyway rant going all over the place... Operating system choice is dependant on your own personal needs. do you want peace of mind that people aren't going to bother with you? or do you want program compatibility with what is available in the stores?

Linux can do everything Windows can do and still be compatible with office related tasks. So asking what OS to install is a matter of do you want to play new windows only games? or are you cool with your computer being stuck with emulators, flash games, and some very old Windows games (using WINE, think directx 8 or less) but also a very big selection of other fun games that you would never see in a store? It's really up to you.

Oh and as for windows 7? wait till at least service pack 1 before buying into it unless you get a new computer that has it preinstalled.

12. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I'm actually running it right now, theres very little wrong with it.

13. LuckyTrouble77

LuckyTrouble77 Well-Known Member

Same here. There are no issues thus far since it got completely installed a week or two ago now. It runs smoothly, is a very big upgrade from the Vista that came installed with this comp :)[ ), and it a very nice looking system. Anybody still stuck on XP because of Vista needs to upgrade to Windows 7. I have very little use so far for the Libraries system that came with it, or for the (nice) Windows Media Center since I use third party programs or otherwise for pretty much everything it offers. I'm sure I'll eventually find a solid use for both though. Word Pad is coming closer and closer to a fully functioning word processor, and I can use paint again since it mysteriously decided to stop working about 9 months before Windows 7 was installed. The computer runs faster, works better, and has worked much better since the installation.

Overall, major upgrade from Vista, and this should be what XP users were waiting for from Microsoft. If they are still thinking Windows 7 fails compared to XP, maybe it is time to look into a new OS. Honestly, I couldn't see choosing XP over even the basic Windows 7 package.

14. ultra

ultra Guest

sure there is, you're just thinking a certain way and it's blocking your view.

btw, i have windows 7 premium, i installed it one day and later reinstalled windows xp again. my laptop has windows 7 and i don't use it and when i do use it, i don't like it.

there is something wrong with windows 7 having limited settings for your resolution. maybe it's not a bother to you but it's a bother to me. then there is this restructuring in the whole arrangements of the operating system that you'll have to relearn it. it's a total waste of time trying to figure something that could be done on a prior os quickly and then having quite a puzzler for the later os.

sometimes this site goes through several changes and i become fearful because i don't know if seph made changes that are drastic or not. sometimes you go to a website and you're so accustomed to the current settings, then the site undergoes a change and then it becomes harder to find things or things are no longer there and you'll have to figure out where it is. this happens all the time on a website and it's fine because the changes are often small. but something on a software like an operating system is not small and the changes are dreadful.

think about all those people who are familiar with photoshop. imagine the company one day restructures the whole program and you'll have to relearn everything. it's not going to be fun.

15. LuckyTrouble77

LuckyTrouble77 Well-Known Member

It almost just sounds like your scared of change to be honest. Not wanting to change should hold no bearing on how well the OS as a whole performs. You are just trying to find problems to give yourself a reason to not like Windows 7 which although I'm trying my hardest to figure out, I just can't. Relearning an OS may not be fun, but there really isn't a whole lot to learn. Having the basic Windows 7 package, I have everything I need, it is an upgrade from what I had, and there wasn't a whole lot more to figure out except a couple new additions program wise.

Windows 7 is fine, but if you don't want to spend what would be about 10 minutes learning it, then to each their own.

16. bLATANT

bLATANT Well-Known Member

Your not kidding!! LOL, Standalone windows build on outdated (and buggy) NT (netowrk) kernal! hahahah, stability and "just about working" miles apart! LOL

Didn't read the whole thread, but my 2 penneth (as a certified Microsoft programmer).

Get Windows 7 (but avoid 64bit if you like running 32 native programmes), it is MUCH better than usual Windows candidates. But DON'T get the home versions, there good for standalones, but if you wanna do any sort of custom networking or internet tweaking, you'll come up short with Home versions. I recommend Ultimate. *

*Finances dependant of course!!

Whatever you do, dont go for Vista! In my profession Vista resides in the same group as ME (A Nice Concept but totally unusable), altohugh Vista is usable if you know enought about the Windows achetecture to reset, modify, edit and drop all the narly bits in there (disabling the UAC for local sourse apps springs to mind)

For those on a budget, Windows XP Pro, its still industry standard, and still supporrted, by MS (despite press releases stating roll off orf XP support) and by the community as a whole.

For those with no budget, or those who hate the way MS does things UBUNTU is the wqay forward! Ubuntu + Wine = Windows without $$$$$$ :)

Have to draw a point with this quote tho.... SLI linked cards do not have to process the full data themselves in duplicate, the "master" card reads the full data and routes half of it to the memory addresses of the "Slave card", each card does ~50% (load abalancing) of the processing and the full outpt is routed back out the master interface.

Pretty much by-the-by tho, in short SLI is parrallel processing tech, much like how HT and dual core processors work to the layman...

Like I say, all my 2 penneth :)
    Post Merge: [time]1269368090[/time]
    PS> Please excuse the terrible grammar and spelling on my post, its the end of the day here and I'm typing quicker than reading, call it chunky finger syndrome! :)

17. Adnan1992

Adnan1992 Well-Known Member

For the record i have
    Pentium i5 quad core @2.67ghz
    4GB DDR3 RAM
    1GB ATI Radeon 5750 HD
    1.5TB Hard Drive Space

I have XP. what are the advantages to me putting 7 on it?

18. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

That happens every time they release a new version. Photoshop users should be used to it.

19. ultra

ultra Guest

it's not change that i'm afraid of but rather the waste of time after you've learned and are accustomed to the original design. why waste your time having to relearn something over and over again when you could simply use the same structure. imagine having to understand on how to operate a new software and every upgrade requires the user to relearn everything over and over and over again. no one will like it because it's a waste of time and it will confuse people.

a good example is microsofts office 2007. my god, when we got the laptop and we used the office word program to type papers, what a big difference it was from 2000 to 2007. i would and will never recommend anyone into buying office 2007. why change the structure of the program and force people to relearn this thing. even worse, why would people bother wanting to waste time and relearn this thing when the next release will do the same over and over. you're wasting time just to use a program.

it's ridiculous and a waste.

20. hmfan

hmfan Well-Known Member

I'm glad you are able to run it and are happy with it. but my experience so far has been very foul... for me the interface just seems excessively kiddified (the stock one, not the classic mode) and dumbed down. Some of the ways that they decided to organize some of the options are more difficult they they were previously to find. why should I click 5 or so times for something that should only take 2. (FYI Minor exaggeration)

But that's not the issue really, the real issue is when you run into windows 7 locking up after exactly 4 minutes after it starts up. and this was from a fresh install. no net access set up yet. On top of that, Microsoft Reps claimed that the hardware would be supported by the software... lies lies and more lies... This is why I claim that you should wait till service pack 1 at least for them to roll out a service pack to fix at least the worst of the errors. Most early adopters get burned by buggy software and instabilities.

(FYI not trying to offend anybody here)