1. This forum is in read-only mode.

windows 7. worth it or not?

Discussion in 'Computers & Modding' started by super_pastafari32, Feb 23, 2010.

1. king_leo

king_leo Well-Known Member

id go for XP (i still hate it and like linux more) it does all you need and why waist time getting windows 7 the most gayest thing ever (i have seen it on my sisters laptop and i like linux on my computer more really)

2. msg2009

msg2009 Romulations sexiest member

my pc isnt the fastest would tiny be better?
    pentium 4 3ghz HT
    2gb ram
    1.25 TB
    geforce 8600gt 256mb(it goes up to 1024mb on can you run it!)

ive got tiny installed already but got win 7 ultimate as well, obviously i dont want it if theres no point and its slowing down my pc.
    what will i miss out on with just tiny?

3. theunderling

theunderling Well-Known Member

After using W7 RC I thought it was great,but after trying to install W7 Ultimate and my Laptop refusing it,Id say waste of cash.Its funny how the RC worked on XP dual boot before,but the Ultimate stoppped my dual booting with the missing HAL.DLL error and my TalkTalk router disc says I havent got an OS installed.So since I cannot connect to the net,its useless.
    TF I never actually paid for W7 Ultimate....

4. deanalexander

deanalexander Well-Known Member

No point in getting tiny, just go for the full version.
    My specs are really bad compared to yours and Windows 7 ran just fine.

5. stirgo1212

stirgo1212 Well-Known Member

Windows ME was meant to be something 'special' for the new millennium. But of course; it wasent

6. slasherx2

slasherx2 New Member

Woo first post by me!

I totally agree with the above, linux is best, but if you want Windows, then XP should do the job nice and quickly.

7. theunderling

Id like to edit my previous findings about W7.I used W7RC without any problems basically,and luckily I spotted a facility it has(in W7 Ultimate) to run a program designed for a older version of Windows.So I set up my router on Vista drivers and everything works perfect now.

Plus I didnt pay for Ultimate either

8. garychencool

garychencool Well-Known Member

Yes it is totally worth it if you have Vista. If you have Vista on any PC, go get windows 7. We all know Vista sucks. I went to Best Buy some other day during Christmas Break and when a game laggged (on a HP), I was able to open Task Manager and close the game without any more laging! On a Vista HP PC, I played the same game, the PC had the same model number/specs, it just had an OS difference, I played the game, made it lag the same way in the previous PC and well, it lagged some more. It took 2 minutes until task manager opened and another 30 seconds or so to close the game. Therefore, Windows 7 OVERALL is worth it. But if you have Xp, it's a big hassle becauase you have to back up all of your stuff. You cannot install Windows 7 on a XP PC without nuking the Hard dRive (clean install). I don't know why Microsoft did that but some XP to Win7 useres got pissed off a bit because of that!

I know that my PC will not support Vista or Windows 7!
    Specs:
    AMD Athlon 1800+ 1.53GHz (relesed in 2002)
    256MB of DDR RAM
    40GB HDD
    64MB NVIDIA GeForce 4 440 MX

I've ranted about this PC like a lot.

But I know my mom's laptop can handle Windows 7. But Vista still lags on it.
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.6GHz 64-bit
    4GB RAM
    320GB HHD
    256mb NVIDIA something for the laptop
    a huge ass screen: 18.4-inches! It was $1500 and it's almost a year old! (11 months) and I didn;t game on it, or use it extensively yet! Back then, Core 2 Quad was the hype in laptops. Now, it's Core i3, i5, and i7 rocking the processor industry!

I might get a new PC with better specs and Windows 7 in June, or July, or September, or Christmas, or later on...
    I'll keep you guys posted!

9. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

The OS architecture is entirely different, they have nothing in common whatsoever.

Either way, you should ALWAYS reformat when changng OS, upgrades cause more problems than they're worth.

10. theunderling

Not correct.I have a folder called "windows old" since I installed W7 Ultimate on the same drive as XP is on.It moves the xp files to that folder and I can access files from it.

Mind you,Im not sure what will run,as I tried it with MBAM(fail) and Rains MMS(ran).

11. deanalexander

Loony is correct. I had a ton of problems upgrading through XP and not at boot.
    I couldn't access my windows.old folder nor delete it then at that point, I couldn't access the .ISO
    Could of been easier just to do a Linux liveCD and get it but I just downgraded to Windows XP until I finally re-downloaded Windows 7 again.

12. theunderling

My fault,I was meaning Gary is incorrect.He said you can only install w7 "by nuking the hd" or by "clean install".

And it says on install that you cannot "upgrade" from xp to w7 anyhow.

13. deanalexander

Upgrading is meaning all your files get moved to the right places, programs/games moved and installed, etc.
    So no, you can't really upgrade from XP.

14. MR4Y

MR4Y Well-Known Member

Not much reliable. The only thing that Microsoft improved(apart from a few tweaks) since Vista is how much space the OS takes from your HD. XP takes 2/3Gb, Vista takes 5/6Gb and 7 takes 12/15Gb.

15. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Actually 7 is a hell of a lot better than vista, I know because I tested both. 7 is much faster, and uses a lot less resources. It's also a lot more compatible.

16. MR4Y

MR4Y Well-Known Member

Is not that compatible, since you can't run 7 on most of the onboard video chipsets(with decent speed), using only 1 Gb of ram and some other things. You can even run xp on a Pentium 75, with only 32 Mb of RAM, 4 Mb videocard, 2Gb HD. I tried it and it works, even tough takes 3 hours to install and almost 2 minutes to boot.

17. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

I just assumed 7 needs alot more power to run, thankfully my laptop has enough balls to run 7...I couldn't stand vista.

What I find funny is my mates trying to install xp on this very machine, only to blue screen every time, I TOLD THEM 7 AND THEY GIVE ME XP WTF!

18. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

Your computer specs should try to match the same generation of computers that your OS is from.
    Why would you want to run Windows 7 on a computer with Win95/8-era hardware? You'd gain nothing even if it didn't have heavier requirements.

19. deanalexander

Nah. Vista needs the most.
    It runs fine on my old piece of crap ;D

20. msg2009

msg2009 Romulations sexiest member

thats similar to my pc except i got p4 3ghz and 32 bit and 7 runs perfect so it wont lag on that