1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Windows 7, is it really worth it?

Discussion in 'Computers & Modding' started by diskjocki, Aug 7, 2009.

1. mikeac

mikeac Well-Known Member

It's not freely available anymore.
    Unless you torrent it. That's illegal.
    And IDC if Microsoft pounds on my door.
    I'm a kid. I have no money in a bank.
    Or cash. My little brother has all the
    cash (don't ask). He didn't do it. So
    they can't take it from him.
    And they can't sue my parents.
    They have also done no offense.
    Plus, Craigslist is the safest way to go,
    can't really get caught...
    And I was actually gonna give
    it to my friend.That's also illegal.

No one would buy it anyways, like you pointed out.

ALSO:
    And also Roms are illegal too.
    The only way roms are illegal is if you dump them yourself.
    Even then, Nintendo will still wanna kill you.
    And hundred's of thousands of people are downloading roms anyways.

And there's more.
    Limewire. Bittorrent. There are tons of illegal sharing products.
    Even Microsoft has a sharing folder you can activate with Messenger.
    They are the one of most downloaded software worldwide.
    Sharing Music, Movies, and copyrighted Files are illegal most of the time,
    and everyone's doing it. Everyone here is breaking the law.

So Nintendo and Sony and Sega should be pounding on the door, right?

Nope. Not at all.

You may have gotten complaint e-mails, but have you succumbed to them?

No.

So let's get back to Windows 7, shall we?

Windows 7 is much easier to use.
    Sorta like an amped and advanced XP.
    I will not be surprised if someone develops
    a PSP portal honoring it's awesomeness.

I wonder how Blazebyte.org PSP devs will
    do with windows 7.

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Microsoft have a rather different attitude to most companies. They bankrupted someone who legally registered the hotmail domain name after they let it expire. They could just have asked him for it, maybe paid him the $5 it cost him to register it, but no, they ruined his life by suing him and taking all his money.

Your being a kid would make no difference, they would go after your parents, who although they haven't committed an offence, they are legally responsible for your actions while you are a minor.

Giving the release candidate to a friend is not actually illegal, as it can be installed on up to 5 computers, it is also still available (even if microsoft have taken the download offline, its easy enough to find and I believe they are still giving out keys for it. Remember, it will deactivate itself next june, so microsoft aren't losing anything by giving out the keys).

Roms etc are illegal, but Nintendo et al prefer to go after the suppliers rather than the people who download them. We do indeed get complaint emails, and we remove access to the files they complain about. So yes, we do actually do as we are asked by the copyright holders.

Music, on the other hand, you don't even have to download it to get hit with a lawsuit from the RIAA.

3. mikeac

mikeac Well-Known Member

Holy crap. Microsoft is not cool.

And wait... why doesn't Nintendo complain about ALL of their dumped games?
    That's major stupid right there.

And WTF is up with the RIAA? That's not cool either.
    My friends download a whole buncha music using LimeWire, and they don't
    get in trouble... I don't see why the music franchises arrest or sue everyone.
    I mean, they lose money everyday when people share music. But I can see that
    they majorly fine LimeWire users, so that may cancel that out.

Apple is the only reasonable one. An example: you buy an iPod Touch. They
    let you have it, and you can do whatever with it. Jailbreaking it isn't illegal.
    If you mess up you iPod, it's your own fault, they don't know how to fix it for you.
    The only way that is illegal is getting software that downloads illegal stuff.

Sometimes I wonder...

And giving Windows 7 to a friend is legal, I know, because I typed illegal
    too many times in that post :p.

BACK TO WINDOWS 7... again...

Does anyone know any good W7 themes for Vista?

4. Loonylion

W7 and vista look more or less the same...

5. rupok93

rupok93 Member

It seems to me that too many people are posting without knowing what they are talking about. Do research first please and then answer. Microsoft focused on advertising certain parts of windows 7 that they fixed from vista yet I still see posts talking about them and its clear that those people didn't read enough.

I am using windows 7 right now and it is the best OS I ever used. It has the looks of vista and performance and stability of Os X and Linux (I used both of them btw). Its worth it if you have the specs to run it well but not for your 3 year old PC running windows XP or lower that you never upgraded.

6. Putty321

Putty321 New Member

Wait... You just found out microsoft is not cool? Microsoft has been on the top of the not-cool list for years... Or maybe I just know too many people with a mac.
    Even my friends, who mainly consist of xbox 360 fanboys, know that Microsoft = Shit.

Well... even though i'm saying that, I still keep using windows and sometimes even defend windows from all those snobs in my family, somehow 3/4th of my family owns macs.

Also, I personally think Vista runs quite well, though I do have a uber computer, and obviously I don't use the stupid sidebar thing, it ruins your performance.

Hmmm... does anyone know where you can see the amount of RAM vista uses at certain moments? In my -Oh gods, what's it called in english, you know, the cntrl-alt-delete window- it only gives me percents...

7. mikeac

mikeac Well-Known Member

I found a good theme for vista.

Yeah... I know... it looks the same.

I just wanna trick my stupid bro to think we got seven.

I use the side bar. Only affects a little Ram...
    And if you use smartram it will tell you how much Ram you have.

AND HOW CAN YOU THINK VISTA RUNS WELL!

Did your mom drop you as a baby!

Or you have 64 bit vista, which is average.
    He's been bugging me "whenz it comin" over and over...

8. finalmario

finalmario Well-Known Member

Windows 7 is completely worth it.

Everything looks about the same as vista.But there are a few new things,along with faster loading.Vista had alot of bugs that 7 doesnt have.

But if you already have vista,you may want to keep vista for a while.

9. khizzm0

khizzm0 Member

yeah its better to keep vista and wait for the more time to fix issues on windows 7

10. ultra

ultra Guest

if you can get a bootleg of windows 7, then by all means it's worth it.

if you can't and have to pay full price for it, then by all means it is not worth it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWJdmSybY6o
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRn_AE1vNoQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XJTCiHRENU

the idea is not to say apple is better. the idea is to say that there is something missing in what microsoft is offering.

11. Tobimadara12

Tobimadara12 New Member

12. mikeac

mikeac Well-Known Member

Uh... no.

VISTA IS NOT WORTH KEEPING. There are more issues in XP than in Windows 7. Besides security issues, 7 is much better. And IDC about software not running cause I made sure all software I have is runnable and working with Windows 7. If not, it's called compatibility mode. Works for me, 90% of the time. And eventually, software that is currently being developed and improved are trying to fit under Windows 7 standards, to make sure that people download their software without hassle.

And speed tests show that the the tinyxp beast edition is so much faster than 7. rev09 is a bit slower than beast edition, and the Christmas version just sucks, impossible to figure out, at least for me. So, I'd rather have a free fast computer (TinyXP) that requires a bit more work, than a paid for decent computer that's easy to use (even though I got Windows 7 free).

13. iain555

iain555 New Member

I've been using Windows 7 since release.
    Not a single problem yet.
    All vista and xp drivers work on it.

It's also alot more compatable than vista.
    I've never had to spend ages changing compatability for all my old games (Diablo2, Command and Conquer, etc).

Sure is fast :D

14. tyrannus

tyrannus New Member

I use windows 7 of and on,it's actually quite nice especially if you have XP programs that wouldn't work in Vista,you go to the Microsoft site and download the XP mode and the little emulator,then you have working XP programs.
    I especially like the Candy Bar,it's a LOT more organized than just the plain task bar.

15. StarYoshi1

StarYoshi1 New Member

Windows 7 is a huge improvement over Vista. First of all, the minimum RAM requirement is only 1 GB, compared to Vista's 2 GB. So netbooks can run it fine. Then there's the UAC. It's still there, but you can change the settings so in bugs you less. That's everything off the top of my mind, (lol, only 2) but I'll think of more later.

16. agiller

agiller New Member

its setup just like vista so if you dont like vista you wont like 7

17. Loonylion

not true at all. Vista was mostly hated for its ridiculous resource usage and poor compatibility. Windows 7 vastly improves those problems.

18. garychencool

garychencool Well-Known Member

Lets all agree on this: It is way better than Vista!

Have u heard da news? Win8 & 9 will hav 128-bit!

19. Loonylion

Considering very little use is made of 64 bit right now and its been around since windows XP, I doubt it.

20. forneus1942

forneus1942 Well-Known Member

It seems that they indeed are working on a 128bit architecture compatibility.

http://www.osgenius.com/microsoft-reveals-more-windows-8-windows-9-details/

They might drop 32bit support for Windows 8 / Midori, so it isn't that surprising.