1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Windows 7, is it really worth it?

Discussion in 'Computers & Modding' started by diskjocki, Aug 7, 2009.

1. kingofgamemasters777

kingofgamemasters777 Well-Known Member

i dont know i just heard that it is suppose to emulate xp

2. asdzxc123789

asdzxc123789 Well-Known Member

I'll wait for about 3 months then get rid of Vista.
    God I hate it...

3. diskjocki

diskjocki Well-Known Member

In Vista you right click on the file, click properties, then click on the compatibility tab & check the "Run in compatibility mode for:" then select the one you want e.g windows 95 or XP.

4. kingofgamemasters777

oh it still uses that, i though it would be something different

5. blackboarder77

blackboarder77 Active Member

Get XP, dude I'm telling you, my sister bought a comp, 1 gig of RAM and a 2.4 ghz, and Vista whored that thing. When I got her to go to XP it ran BEAUTIFULLY.

6. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

We're discussing windows 7, not vista. Two completely different animals.

7. damanali

damanali Well-Known Member

What are the Windows 7 promises? Do it promise low ram usage than xp and vista? Compatibility issues fixed like if it runs on xp below, it will also run in Windows 7? New programs with low ram usage but is more useful?

Well, if it promise me those things, i might switch to it, but if i see again those security warnings that irritates me in Vista, Back to XP.

8. kingofgamemasters777

there's a lot less security warnings. it seams to run less ram than vista but not quite as low as xp. on my system with no extra programs running it uses about 800MB of ram(out of 4gigs).

9. xmasterchefx

xmasterchefx Well-Known Member

That's pretty awesome, I think, to run 800/4000. It's a good rate, I think when idle. A lot better than the retarded vista.

10. damanali

its still a lot cause most pc/laptop when sold as a set has only like 1gig or less, but when he told there are less of those security warnings, then i'll try it as soon as i get a copy.

11. Loonylion

UAC is still there, but it is a lot less intrusive. It can now be set to different levels rather than just 'on' or 'off'. One thing that impressed me about W7 is you no longer need IE to use windows update, its now built into control panel.

12. xmasterchefx

xmasterchefx Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's really great that you can just use Control Panel now. IE is unbearable. I'm also a hypocrite. Sometimes.

And Damanali, the ratio 800/4000 can be divided to 200/1000, for 1GB RAM. I think that's pretty good, I guess.

13. damanali

oh, i thought it was like 800 no matter the size of the ram. i never thought it will get divided like that.

we have an order of new pc's in our school, i'll try it on a computer..hehehe

14. citadelofdemons

citadelofdemons New Member

15. damanali

state your reason.

by the way, does anybody gets those problems with usb gadgets like its not compatible with vista, the same with windows 7?

or all the gadgets compatible with xp are compatible with windows 7?

16. Blade5406

Blade5406 Well-Known Member

No, update your drivers.

17. Omniferious

Omniferious New Member

Frankly, I like Windows 7. It's functionality is more or less in between that of XP and Vista. (XP>7>Vista)

Overall Windows 7 is to Vista as
    Leopard is to Snow Leopard.

Overall improvements from the previous version, but not enough to be extremely different from each other. If Mac's Keybard layout was the same as a PC, and had that top start menu thing (whatever THAT is) the same, or similar, to Windows, then I would be typing this on a Mac, not a PC.

I will say that for $29.99, Windows 7 Home Premium is a better buy than Windows Vista Home Premium.

18. Croassassin

Croassassin Well-Known Member

well i find win 7 64bit great better then my xp even though i didnt like vista but umm if u already got xp then might aswell use it rather then buying 7 but i think 7 is worth it

19. mikeac

mikeac Well-Known Member

Yeah it is.
    Especially on 64 bit systems.
    Fast, lightweight, looks nice, and easier to use.
    129.99 Dollars BTW...

AND hopefully, I don't have to update all my drivers.
    Pain in the butt.

Thank god I'm getting it for free.
    The RC was awesome, BTW.
    I still have it, and I will probably sell it.

20. Loonylion

selling the release candiate is illegal and will have microsoft lawyers hammering on your door. Plus no-one with any sense would buy it because a) its freely available and b) it will stop working next june.