1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Windows 7, is it really worth it?

Discussion in 'Computers & Modding' started by diskjocki, Aug 7, 2009.

1. kingofgamemasters777

kingofgamemasters777 Well-Known Member

its worth it i have it runing now and every things fine (except i cant get media sharing working)

2. Meramex

Meramex Well-Known Member

Yeah Xp does give alot of problems. I don't know if this is beacause of XP or my computer but after using XP for a long time my computer gets slower and takes up more space everytime i use chkdsk. Re-installing XP solves the problem, but it starts again. I even re-formatted my whole hardrive and it won't still go away. Sometimes it causes skippy audio. But vista uses less power. My notebook uses Vista and it can run longer at least twice as long since i stopped using XP. But Vista takes more space.

A combination of XP and VISTA, Windows 7 could be what we are all looking for.

PS. do any of you know that google's gonna release an operating system, name after it's browser Chrome.

3. diskjocki

diskjocki Well-Known Member

Yes, I heard this about this a while ago, IMO I think it's going to be similar to Linux.

Also... I've made my decision, when I have access to a fast connection I'll download a torrent of the RTM version of Windows 7, but I'll install it on a virtual machine first just in case the serials etc. don't work.
    I probably shouldn't say much more, not really aloud to talk about warez here. :-X

4. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

no, google OS is an entirely different concept. All the applications are stored and run from google's servers, much like a thin client.

5. diskjocki

Interesting...

6. xmasterchefx

xmasterchefx Well-Known Member

So if you don't have internet, you're screwed.

7. Loonylion

yes. Also if you want to do something like cad, 3d modeling, 3d animation or video editing, you're screwed. ditto for 3d games.

8. xmasterchefx

xmasterchefx Well-Known Member

Worst. OS. Ever. IMO.

9. diskjocki

^ I second this.

10. Mikiie

Mikiie Well-Known Member

I agree, Even worse if you have a shoddy net connection.

11. kingofgamemasters777

google os is a FAIL that's just stupid for it to lack such basic things. and the fact that you would forever be tied to the net. they should have stopped at the web browser. i also bet they will be looking and owning every thing you do.

12. timmy1991

timmy1991 Well-Known Member

Google video games, movies, childrens toys, clothing lines.... it's the rise of the google empire!

yes, the Google OS will most likely be an epic fail

13. Loonylion

it's not that it lacks them, its that internet connections are incapable of transferring the huge volumes of data involved in a reasonable timeframe.

14. kingofgamemasters777

ether way its still not going to happen. i bet it will also put a dent in you bandwidth allowance too if you have that. or if you have mobile internet

15. ricky_

ricky_ Well-Known Member

what. what about an os that dynamically loads data it needs from the internet, and caches it locally?

16. kingofgamemasters777

but loony just said if you dont have any connection to the internet you can't get your apps.

17. Meramex

Meramex Well-Known Member

You guys have the worlds most popular search engine and a decent Internet browser. Why go looking for trouble. I think we all know what happened to Netscape when they started messing with Microsoft.

18. Loonylion

things were different back then. Microsoft were able to take out netscape by bundling IE with windows, you had to pay for netscape.

19. kingofgamemasters777

now to get back on topic, how do you enable the xp virtualization in 7?

20. CrashmanX

CrashmanX Well-Known Member

Like what do you mean? Like Run in XP mode?