1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Windows 7, is it really worth it?

Discussion in 'Computers & Modding' started by diskjocki, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Born2killx

Born2killx Well-Known Member

CD's are 700 MB.

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

He means the installed copy, not the CD. The installtion grows over time.

3. HellBoyX1000

HellBoyX1000 Well-Known Member

I have been using Windows 7 now for the past month (RTM Version ;) ) and I love it. It is WAY better than Vista. Speed has increased. My files doesn't take up as much space as Vista so I can now dual boot my computer with Xubuntu.

And to people worrying about drivers. If the manufacturer doesn't have a driver for Windows 7, just use Vista. Thats what I did for the PS2 EyeToy (which is my webcam).

I love the new Windows Media Player and the new MS Office 2010 aswell. (Might aswell throw this in while I'm here)

Is Windows 7 worth the upgrade?
    Hell freaking yes.

I MIGHT buy it on October 22nd. Or I might just keep the one I have *strokes chin*

4. Loonylion

Doesn't always work. SOME manufacturers (read: HP) put an OS check in their drivers.

5. UltimatePisman

UltimatePisman Well-Known Member

Windows 7?
    You proberly mean Vista with a new taskbar?

6. kingofgamemasters777

kingofgamemasters777 Well-Known Member

7 looks the same but is better and faster than vista

7. timmy1991

timmy1991 Well-Known Member

I don't know how it got to be 6GB, I used a normal install disc that came with another PC I had to install it on this one. I had formatted it and everything, but when I firt booted up windows, it was taking up 6 gigs before I had even run any updates...

but since XP is still windows most widely used OS, they might not stray from it for a while

8. aaaha7

aaaha7 New Member

windows7 is really good in my experiences... it takes me 30 seconds to boot (including the time it takes for F-secure antivirus to load after login).
    Lots of games that were incompatible with vista work with windows7 (e.g. Sim City 2000 - lol)... so I'd say that win7 compatability mode is really good.

9. equitypetey

equitypetey Well-Known Member

i've not even had a go with it but i'm thinking of doing a dual boot so i can play around with it.

the only plus side for me would be when they bring out directx 11, 10 made hardly a difference and with vista lagging the system down it was pointless but 11's meant to blow us away apparently.
    so for that reason it might be worth a shot when it's out.

10. timmy1991

timmy1991 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm sure DirectX11 will be amazing, but I'm gonna stick with my 9.0c.... mostly because My computers not strong enough to play anything that would require 10 or 11

11. i have windows 7 installed right now not the rc either the full retail version and i can say that it is amazing,its sleek,fast and runs everything that ran on vista if you decide to get it you wont regret it they have some torrents and a crack around the web somewhere use google.and all the drivers and stuff will probably be out after its officially released.

12. xmasterchefx

xmasterchefx Well-Known Member

The Windows 7 torrents online are either not full versions but not time-based, or just the time-based RC Versions. Unless some naughty ITs leaked the Ultimate RC to the world?

13. Loonylion

I have ultimate RC (I was a beta tester), but the RTM is available now. RTM is essentially what you get if you buy a computer with windows 7 preloaded (although the computer manufacturer will have played around with it a bit).

14. xmasterchefx

xmasterchefx Well-Known Member

Wait- is RTM the same as RC and still time-based?

15. Flagrama

Flagrama New Member

No. It is version that is given to PC manufacturers to put on their PCs that they sell (Dell, Gateway, HP). It is not time limited at all. wikipedia should help out here I think.

16. kingofgamemasters777

kingofgamemasters777 Well-Known Member

im surprised at how much less ram 7 takes, vista takes up nearly 2gb when theres nothing runing, but 7 only takes up like 600mb.

17. Meramex

Meramex Well-Known Member

With performance better than Vista(hopefully) and a size small as XP (again hopeful) 7 should be most definitely worth it

18. equitypetey

equitypetey Well-Known Member

I don't know if any of you have seen but someone has released a cut down version for notebooks and laptops. It was resently put up on rlslog so if you want dl links look there

19. ultra

ultra Guest

http://cnettv.cnet.com/special-report-windows-7-house-party/9742-1_53-50077452.html

20. AbstractChaos666

AbstractChaos666 Well-Known Member

In my opinion, if you are going to re format your computer or start fresh on a new one, why not use Windows 7? From what I've seen so far, it is good and definitely an improvement on Vista.

XP is getting old now; I've recently started having problems with XP Pro and I had to re format my computer with Vista Ultimate.