1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Wikileaks: For Public good or National Security concern?

Discussion in 'Debates' started by damanali, Dec 6, 2010.

1. dino340

dino340 Well-Known Member

2. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    c-c-c-c-c-combo breaker

3. tehuber1337

tehuber1337 Well-Known Member

Just FYI

4. dino340

So anyways, Wikileaks is actually really helpful, I mean the US Gov't shouldn't have anything to hide, especially since one of the cornerstones of the constitution, is it? states that transparency of the government is essential, and Wikileaks is making that transparency possible

5. Hypr

Hypr Well-Known Member

Yet Wikileaks redlines certain details of the secret/classified information that are deemed unsafe to be released to the public.

As for Bradley Manning (the soldier who leaked the classified documents), sure, releasing the footage of the helicopter in Iraq was justified to a degree. However, when he started getting carried away and releasing secret documents at will for his own delusional reasons, he became more of a liability to the United States, in which he should stand trial in the military tribunal.

6. CloudBoii12

CloudBoii12 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure a terrorist is just a person who seeks to inflict harm (whether it be mental or physical) upon others for a reason that they find to be justified. Then again, I guess the definition of a word based upon fear and intimidation is rather subjective, wouldn't you say?

7. msg2009

msg2009 Romulations sexiest member

Do you really believe everything the government does should be available to the public?

8. dino340

Yeah, it's a major part of transparency, that way the general populace can keep track of what's going on, and it's important in a democracy.

9. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Well-Known Member

Not everything, but certainly far more that is currently available.

10. msg2009

The US would have no stealth planes or advanced military technology because everyone else would have it too, so whats the point? People would know what the abrams armour was made of so could find a way to penetrate it more easily.
    Some secrets are good and the public have no reason to know them.

11. CloudBoii12

CloudBoii12 Well-Known Member

Yes, we pay them to take care of our country, we should at least be told how it's being done.
    If not everything, then most things. The amount of information our governments withhold from us is astoundingly discerning.

12. dino340

There's a difference there though, like military secrets that are a matter of national security, I'm talking about knowing stuff like if the prisoners in Guantanamo Bay are being tortured or not, and who the order is coming from.

13. msg2009

But where will wikileaks stop? Those secrets I described above could find their way to wikileaks.
    Just by been what it is, wikileaks is a huge threat to national security.

14. tehuber1337

You can't judge something on what it could do. Didn't we establish this already when discussing capital punishment?

15. Suiseiseki

Pretty sure that they do have a thing called common sense. It might be unknown to most of the forum users here judging by their inane bullshit, but I'm fairly sure the schematics/details of advanced military tech are both highly secure and highly relevant to the present. Afghani troop movements from 2008 and diplomatic messages aren't relevant because HEY, we're not in 2008 and although politicians would have you believe stuff like this is a big deal it really isn't.

They have people checking to see if individuals or groups will be harmed by the publishing. Truly sensitive details are redacted. I honestly don't see what you're packing a big hissy fit over, to be honest. Just another bullshit argument fuelled by bullshit fear, fed to you by bullshit people who've realised they might not be able to do whatever the fuck they'd like anymore.

16. msg2009

Then why not let terrorists wander free? Hey we cant judge them on what they could do.
    When it comes to national security you always have to think of what could happen because its too late otherwise, and there wouldn't actually be any security.

17. tehuber1337

That's a terrible comparison and you know it. Hell, I'm ashamed on your behalf for even trying to pass that one.

18. Suiseiseki

That's why you jail someone for what they have done.

You've done MMA, you could quite capably kill me. I can use most of the common pistol-type weapons to a bloody good degree of accuracy, so I could quite capably kill you. By your stupid logic we should both be in jail.

tl;dr read my fucking posts and your questions should be answered.

19. msg2009

There is nothing wrong with it, its an excellent example of why wikileaks is a threat.

Those are not cases of national security.

20. Suiseiseki

Let me put it simply, once again for the people who will read this and think like msg is thinking right now.

Wikileaks doesn't just publish anything. If it's srs bsns, relevant to current world events (say they received a document containing exact details troop deployments in Iraq dated yesterday) it's not going to get published. Why? Because it could endanger lives.

What you idiots need to get through your goddamn heads is that nothing that has been released so far has been as massive a deal as you've been told it is. Sure, there are interesting gems among them (like revealing that American diplomats lie through their teeth when saying they aren't used for intelligence gathering purposes) but really it's just interesting reading for people like me who like to know what's being swept under the rug.

msg. They are not going to release shit that will endanger any specific lives. They're not going to release the super secret schematics of the US Navy's prototype railgun system. It may seem a foreign concept to you but they actually know what they are doing over at Wikileaks.