1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Why wont our society recognize alcohol as a drug? Makes me crazy!

Discussion in 'Rants' started by lampslammer, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

alcohol is perfectly legal in most countries (except in islamic countries but thats down to the religion), yet little is responsible for more violent crime against the person. Drug junkies will quite often steal to fund their habit, but in general people under the influence of alcohol cause far more havok. Innocent people can and do get killed or horrifically injured in alcohol fueled brawls and some UK hospitals actually have a permanent police presence now, in order to protect the staff and patients from drunk and aggressive patients.

Alcohol is legal because the governments make billions off of taxing it, but when you factor the costs of policing alcohol related incidents, clearing up after alcohol related incidents, and, for countries with state funded healthcare, costs of treating victims of alcohol fueled violence/rape/other incidents causing injury; how much of that tax income is actually left as profit?

2. Void

Void Well-Known Member

Loony, this is your first post that absolutely rings true of truthiness.

3. Littlekill

Littlekill Well-Known Member

I drink once every few months, my last break was nearly a year. When i get wasted i only have fun, (next day not so fun) and there is evidence to prove it floating around, slightly regrettable but whateva. Alcohol is the bestest thing ever in serious moderation.

4. will1008

will1008 Well-Known Member

I think it goes like this:
    Alcohol being ILLEGAL = Companies will shut down and economies will be affected
    = People will rebel, rallies rise (think picket signs made by drunk people)
    = Jobs will be lost. (Wine/Beer makers)

At least that's what I think it will be.
    But they say that moderate amounts of beer is healthy.
    On an unrelated note:
    When I was really young my dad told me to NOT drink alcohol in the future. I thought he meant rubbing alcohol. I thought, "What the heck? Why would I?"
    Now I understand.

5. gaynorvader

gaynorvader Well-Known Member

You could make the argument that:
    Making Heroin LEGAL = Companies will be set up and economies will be effected
    = Jobs will be created. (Drug manufacturers/growers)

Also a small amount of wine/spirits are good for you, a small amount of beer is not good for you, it just doesn't do you too much harm.

6. nu885

nu885 Well-Known Member

the first 2 pages were a good laugh,, am i the only one who remembers the "prohibition act"? they tried to ban alcohol it didnt work, it will never work, just like making the world stop smoking pot it wont happen.. alcohol has too many memories good and bad.. its been around alot longer than pot if i remember right (which i might not since i smoke a lot of pot haha) and its not going anywhere.. you got a better chance of cocaine being legalized than alcohol being considered a drug by society

7. MR4Y

MR4Y Well-Known Member

Another question would be:

Why won't our society recognize that TV as a drug? You can control people drinking and stuff, but can't control what's on TV.

8. gaynorvader

TV is not physically addictive, nor does it alter the mind or body. You can stop someone from watching TV by;
    a) Taking the TV away
    b) Taking the cable/satellite/aerial away
    c) Taking their power away
    d) Locking them in a room away from the TV

9. nu885

nu885 Well-Known Member

you can also get people off drugs by;

a) Taking the drugs away
    b) Taking the bong/pipe/needle away
    c) Taking their phone away
    d) Locking them in a room away from the drugs

so thats not really a good point in my opinion but i got a kick out of it

10. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

Because TV isn't consumed into the body and alters the body in any way.

Unless I was able to inject Television through a syringe into me, then yeah, it's a drug.

11. nu885

nu885 Well-Known Member

but you could crush your t.v up and snort it :D not like its a good idea because its not gonna get you high (i never snorted my TV before and dont plan to) but im just throwing that out there ....that you go do the same thing with a tv that you can do with some drugs

and i think in a way T.v is consumed through the body.. the eyes, brain, and mind

there were times when i wanted to finish watching a good cartoon and was late to school because of the fact i wanted to watch it.. thats semi-addiction in my opinion maybe just mental addiction..but tv isnt considered a drug because of all the different things people use it for basically like mass spreading knowledge or entertainment and other things ;)

kinda like why addict due drugs because their body/mind tells them to . my body/mind wanted to (watch/do) the (TV/drugs) and some people actually go through "withdraw" when they havent watched TV in a long time (not everybody but some) and im getting off topic here..so ill stop there

12. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

Consumed: eaten or drunk up.

I should of said injected/consumed.

13. seriaku

seriaku Well-Known Member

Coffee is a drug too...

14. Horusishtar

Horusishtar New Member

Well, being raised by parents who drank all day every day, I say that it should be illegal, but then you would have riots..and chaos would ensue... It was illegal back in the 20s and that's all people did...drink...it's human nature to want something that you can't have I guess, but we could try something to save children with alcoholic parents. I know what it's like... we hardly ever had money or food. It's the same with any drug..some just want it so bad that they don't care about their children let alone themselves. I have seen people who were alcoholics/druggies buy beer/drugs instead of food or paying the bills. No matter what...Alcohol will forever be a drug just like Cocaine, Marijuana, Meth, etc. etc.

15. dedboy

dedboy Guest

The craving for the booze is one of the worst I've first hand witnessed. I drove my neighbor(nine year alcoholic) to get his Antabuse(disulfiram) shots to keep him from drinking. Of course you vomit(sometimes extremely violently) once you take the shot, if you choose to consume alcoholic beverages. Well I drove him to the doctors, he got the shot, reached down his pants, as he had concealed a flask underneath his testicles, and drank his wild turkey 101 proof bourbon. He got out of my car on our local interstate, and vomited for twenty minutes straight, got back into my car and passed out. Once I got him home I watched over him, as he urinated himself, and defecated on himself. He did this twice a week for two years. So he's sober for the time being, but as fate tends to do, his hepatic functions are rapidly deteriorating. Meaning his liver is failing. You can't say alcohol and moderation in the same sentence, due to the fact they are almost a paradox of themselves. To quote Homer Simpson, "Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to all of life's problems."

16. gaynorvader

Um...not everyone is an alcoholic, many people are able to drink alcohol in moderation without any problems.