1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Why wont our society recognize alcohol as a drug? Makes me crazy!

Discussion in 'Rants' started by lampslammer, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Rod182

Rod182 Well-Known Member

Because the culture of beer and alcohol is already deep-encrusted as something common in our society. Do you have ANY idea how much economical, financial and social stir would happen and how many people would lose their jobs if such a thing was to be banned? Making it illegal would have a big impact on people and change a whole lot of things, making it a burden no government would want to carry around. I understand what you're saying, but caring about the well-being of the population is, unfortunately, a secondary point next to this one. (in the government's eyes, I mean)

I would completely support a cigarette prohibition, though. I know, there's also a giant power revolving about the tobacco industry and making it illegal would also generate heavy repercussion and stuff, but its means as a socializing feature are nowhere near close to alcohol, making it a lone-activity streess reliever more than anything else. It would change more of the people's own costumes, rather than society costumes as a whole.

(Random note: if I was american, today would be the first day I could drink legally! lol)

2. Lysergic420

Lysergic420 Active Member

So you're saying you would not support a ban alcohol because people like to gather together and socialize while intoxicated,
    but you would support a ban on cigarettes because people like to smoke to relieve some stress?

Wow I completely disagree with you there. Who do I harm if I relieve my stress by having a smoke by myself?
    Not saying your wrong or anything but I don't understand that logic at all.

Personally I dont think either will be banned (or should be) anytime soon.

3. Rod182

Rod182 Well-Known Member

It's not about the social gathering itself, but what was born from it. How many places do you know and regularly frequent that sells or even stimulate alcohol consumption, and how many stimulate tobacco consumption? From small pubs to large concerts, there are numorous places that exist and take benefit from the fact people drink, and (consequently) there are families that make a living out of it. Not that there aren't places aimed at smokers, is just that they're very fewer comparatively, given 1) it is, for the most part, a lone act and 2) most people can (and will) just buy a pack of cigarettes in the nearest convenience store.

Banning alcohol would result in a much bigger problem of social backlash, at least the way that I see it from where I live. I can't deny I'm looking at it solely from a social and economical standpoint, rather than looking the effects of one or another. Both are harmful depending on the context and consumption, even it not equally. (also, banning something doesn't exactly mean people still won't be able to get it, but rather its emphasis on everyday life will be diminished, especially for future generations. Just like illegal drugs, people would still get them when and if they wanted them.)

Also, it's not that I do or don't support an alcohol ban (even though I do drink from time to time), it's just that I think it would be something way harder to accomplish.

4. corprlfish

corprlfish Well-Known Member

Alcohol is a very social thing, banning it in pubs or clubs is madness.

5. msg2009

msg2009 Romulations sexiest member

raising the drinking age so drinkers are more responsible would seem a good compromise and something i agree with. also alcohol should not be served to anyone without showing i.d

6. corprlfish

The day my brother turned 18 he was pissed off because he went to all these different pubs and bars and only ONE asked for I.D =)

7. gaynorvader

gaynorvader Well-Known Member

You could still invite people over to your house, etc. It would just prevent all the drunk people being turned loose at ~1am to fight and drive in the streets.

8. Void

Void Well-Known Member

LET ME LAY THE LAW HERE

If alcohol and tobaccos legalizations are justified, then marijuana's are as well. If you say that marijuana is not justified for legalization, you're either saying alcohol and tobacco aren't as well (which is a reasonable argument), or that you should hang yourself because you're too worthless to realize that alcohol and nicotine are leagues more harmful and addictive than THC.

Also, wen u type ^_^ lik this *_* >.> it makes ur opinion T_T void cause you sound like a fucking moron. ._..
    You know who you are.

9. nex26

nex26 Well-Known Member

Age =/= Responsibility. It doesn't matter what you raise the age to, you will always have idiots who drink just to get drunk.

10. msg2009

but less of them
    the idiots i see fighting outside clubs are all young

11. corprlfish

So, you're fighting to have marijuana legalized? -_-
    Yes, BUT how will you meet new people? the idiots that go fight and drive are mental, they binge just so they get the satisfaction "hey, I drink more than you, so I'm tough"

Being drunk isn't the good bit (but idiots disagree) it is GETTING drunk that is truly epic, the journey, in this case, is better than the destination.
    They think they're tough. But they're not, that is true weakness, of mind and body.

12. klaimore

klaimore Well-Known Member

Alcohol should be banned. Last night, a woman was hit by her husband because he was drunk. Just because you're never in that kind of a situation before, it doesn't mean you won't be. Something has to be done.

13. msg2009

yes last night a young girl next door got beat up by her boyfriend, kept me up all night with the shouting and screaming. they drink all the time and their only 17 or 18.
    and saturday night an ambulance came because she was unconcious!
    kids shouldnt have alcohol, surely anybody can see that

14. klaimore

klaimore Well-Known Member

Well, too bad for me, it was the person who I rented my house to. The cops had to come. It wasn't a pretty sight.

15. corprlfish

I try to stay out of anything to do with police..... I get too nervous and I hate being nervous... Horrible feeling.

16. gaynorvader

Alcohol being used as a social crutch is not a good thing, what's wrong with meeting people in a coffee house or restaurant?
    Alcohol, in this case, simply magnifies what the person was already feeling, so chances are that the husband would have beat on his wife at some point anyway, though I agree that the alcohol probably increases the frequency.

17. corprlfish

It's not the same.... You can only know what it's like from experience.

18. gaynorvader

I'm not sure what you're getting at here, but I have had plenty of experience drinking at parties/in clubs/in pubs. I still prefer meeting people outside these places.

19. corprlfish

That's you, but many others love meeting at clubs, pubs and bars. What they should do is LIMIT the amount of alcohol you can consume in public, but not ban it.

20. gaynorvader

How would they accomplish this? A breathaliser at every bar?