1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Why flash carts are legal?

Discussion in 'Non-Emulation Help' started by Mein, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Mein

Mein Well-Known Member

While the Roms are illegal.
    I know that Roms are illegal if you don't have the original copy, but why flash carts that support Rom are legal?

Sorry, i don't know where i should post. Since this board seem perfect.

2. ggrroohh

ggrroohh Well-Known Member

I'm not good at explaining so think of it like this.
    A plastic bag isn't illegal while a plastic bag filled with drugs is certainly illegal.
    It depends on what's inside.

3. theunderling

theunderling Well-Known Member

There was a thread a couple of weeks ago saying they were "illegal".It was something to do with Nintendo saying something about "exporting" the carts.

4. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Preety much the right answer if your in australia.

In a busy shopping centre, I saw a mobile phone stall with an r4i gold for sale...

(NO this isn't one of those dodgy asian-type stalls ethier as this had mostly aussie staff who actually had a clue-and I'm half asian so I'm guilty myself XD)

Anyway, she explained as long as there isn't any roms on it, it can be sold, as it can also do movies and music, which they can load for you.

Then again downloading music and movies can also be illegal..hrm.

Anyway, it's legal to buy those, but if they already have roms like I seen some market stalls have...best read carefully especially if there is police around XD

The roms from here are towards the "black" list of the downloads, however companies like EA and THQ know we exist because they send letter's every now and then, just asking for whatever game is hosted to be taken down.

RomUlation complies, they stay, for good as nintendo is too busy stopping the card exporters XD

5. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

flashcarts are legal no matter what nintendo say. Its what people do with them that is illegal. Exactly the same as with torrents.

6. iluvgtavcs

iluvgtavcs Guest

It's true. Downloading something you don't have is considered "stealing" money from the producers/developers of whatsoever software you have downloaded. (This includes: Videos, MP3/songs, games, pictures of top secret/copyrighted stuff.) The flashcarts themselves are okay to have! It's just that, I don't have the money to support the producers/developers. I'm not poor, I'm just not wanting to spend the money... DX

7. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Trying to save money in other words ;)

I understand, before I went into romming I spent $200 every 2 weeks on games-and my brother of 13yrs was forced to play games that aren't suited for him (he's adapt though-he's good at resident evil 4 now).

It's saved me money-most of what he likes is shovel ware that I'd hate to buy...mostly EA and THQ based games...

Though those companies would love to find me :(

And emulators, those are legal, just not what most people use on them...

Here is something, if you dump/copy your owns games that is legal.

CHipped ps2+personally copied game to preserve it=legal

DS+acekard+game you actually own that you dumped=legal

My brother prefer's this to swapping carts all the time.

8. theunderling

Games must be different from movies then.As your "not allowed" to copy them or broadcast them publically.I personally think that the uploader is the one who is crossing the line,as its him who has agreed to the terms by purchasing the item.Bit in the UK,they are trying to collar both uploader and downloader......

I have never seen anything stating that if you buy a game/movie etc,you are allowed to copy it as a backup.

9. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

It is a fundamental right that you are allowed to make a single backup copy of any software you own. Some license agreements may allow you to make more than one copy, but any clause that says you are not allowed to make any backup copies would be struck out if challenged in the courts.

10. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

they are legal, but i still tell my siblings not to talk about them to anyone on account of how we use ours. (mainly me :p )

they are well trained. only 3 leaks in 2 years!! XD
    no one important though.

i make a backup of every game that i have, or if i can't, then i just download it.

11. Mein

Mein Well-Known Member

Well, my reasons to use flash cart and Rom are because In my lace there aren't many (maybe any) original copies and a Credit card is too risky.

12. lotm

lotm New Member

the actual card isnt ilegal but the roms are, just like the plastic bag thing its what you have in the flash cart :p

13. ProtomanZX

ProtomanZX Well-Known Member

I for one, and Glad places like this exist, though i don't download many games, i use my CycloDS for programming and 3 party things, and I'm just fine with that. (though a NDS ROM or 2 once in a while can't hurt, can it?)

14. dragneon007

dragneon007 Well-Known Member

Funny thing is I was against roms and piracy, till i started seeing all thoes Pokemon Wifi battles on youtube... while they all looked crystal clear... all my battles looked crappy since I was using a normal HD camera, but then I said to someone on youtube" how do you record like that?" after that one thing lead to another, and here I am now talking about it lol and I slowly been gettings games i would have baught or rented I felt ashamed for some killer app games but just like killing... Your very first, is always the hardest :D

15. klaimore

klaimore Well-Known Member

It's depended on how the user uses the flashcart. For music, possible from CDs or Videos from DVD can all be placed onto your computer and on your flashcart. Doing this, Ipods, Portable DVD players, expensive stuff can be done all in one go with a flashcart, and not wasting $500+ on things that only have one purpose.
    But one thing, how come the Original R4 team was sued? Flashcarts are legal....aren't they?

16. Apollooo

Apollooo Well-Known Member

so in my lifetime, i have stolen more than $ 100.000 from Movies, games and musics Companies...
    Pirated Movies :500+
    average movies price $20
    i stole from them 20 x 500
    =more tnan $10.000

pirated cds music + downloading free musics= 1000+
    average price $20
    i have stolen 20x 1000= 20.000+

Video games from SNES one era until i have Cbox 360 including handhelds and PC( roms, free games and more)= uncountable....maybe 10.000+
    average price= $30-$60
    so i have stolen 30 x 10000 - 60 x 10000= around $300.000-$600.000

that's not even my part time job's salary for a lifetime.....
    but i don't feel any guilt... lol

and it's will be keep increasing in more enormous amount each year....

17. klaimore

klaimore Well-Known Member

Nintendo and other game companies actually have about a few thousand people buying it, so they're still rich.

18. Apollooo

all those amount included, homebrew games, Short movies, games soundtracks, and other hellotsa things

19. theunderling

LOL,you thieving b*stard

20. Apollooo

at least i made my parents proud by not spending too much money on these