1. This forum is in read-only mode.

why do people hate vista

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dills2, Aug 16, 2010.

1. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

Much agreed.

I never used Vista, except for an hour or so?

That was long enough to see all of the shit that it was made out of.

2. msg2009

msg2009 Romulations sexiest member

Theres always dosbox but I hate it.
    I know it only takes a second to mount a drive but its hassle I don't want.

One other reason I dual boot is XP doesn't like blank DVD discs it recognises them as cdr and my external dvdrw as a cdrw, google tells me its not just me its because xp was made before dvdrw's were common. I don't know if theres a work around but I like to keep it simple anyway.
    I back up all my downloaded games, music, films etc onto dvd discs everyday so win7 was needed.

I'll never get rid of XP, when a newer OS comes out I will just get a new PC and have this one side by side, Im not missing out on all the old games.

I only used vista for a week at my dads and I hate it, everything takes twice as long to do, my dad even changed back to xp but now uses win7.

3. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

Question that'll eventually go into PM discussion a bit afterwards, I'm assuming.

If I do upgrade to Windows 7, what kind of files will I lose in the process. Also what's the hassle in pirating the OS (like constant piracy patch upgrades etc)?

4. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Well-Known Member

Theoretically you could lose nothing if you run the upgrade function of Win7 as opposed to a clean install. I'm forced to use the former on my laptop, and all my drivers are still intact. Best to backup anyway.

5. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

its always considered better to do a clean install though, upgrades tend to cause problems further down the line in my experience.

To people asking how something newer could be worse than before, that isn't anything new. 98SE was quite good and then ME was an absolute disaster. It was lighting fast but incredibly unstable. Likewise, in stability terms, 3.1 was good and 95 was a disaster.

6. doughboy

doughboy Guest

at times things do not install right because of overwriting and compatibility...
    you won't loose nothing, but make sure to back your files up just to be safe....
    the patching is a whole different thing, because some do not patch the os right on 7....xp and vista i believe are the only ones who are near %98 functional....
    there is no hassle in pirating the os...well if you plan on doing it yourself that is....if you download it, burn it, and install it, then install the patch...all will be good....

7. msg2009

yep my windows 7 ultimate torrent is installed and activated and updates fine.
    I just didn't put a serial number in then ran the patch thing when it rebooted

8. Usoppu

Usoppu Well-Known Member

Same here really.
    I can't see that big of a problem with it, so i won't bother upgrading until i get a new comp or something.

9. Hypr

Hypr Well-Known Member

There's always VMWare for that. I use it to run Windows 98SE as a guest OS, as well as test driving Redhat Linux.

10. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

vmware virtual hardware is limited so you can only run some XP games. Ones that require hardware 3D acceleration probably won't run (some might)

11. someirishkid

someirishkid Well-Known Member

does 7 use more or less ram than Vista?
    or, just tell me which one is faster?

12. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

i've noticed 7 to be much faster than Vista..vista just sucks..

13. someirishkid

someirishkid Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of getting an upgrade

14. msg2009

It uses the same amount of ram but is way better

15. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

I'm doing some testing on Vista in a VM, so i can accurately help my neighbors out...It sucks! 5 min black screen until done booting, ugly as hell GUI, slooooow as ever....i even allocated it 7 GB's of RAM! I will return with more results of my hatred very soon!

Post Merge: [time]1282148815[/time][/color][/size]

more info:

It takes up a whopping 7.8 GB on the HDD for just the OS!!!! I'm thinking, "WTF was Microsoft thinking when they made this?!?!". I've used custom OS's, that are less shittier, and take up a LOT less space, and are much faster! how is it possible for it to be this bad?!?!

16. yoshi2889

yoshi2889 Well-Known Member

That'll fill up the whole HDD of my grandma's PC...
    It's only 7.8 GB :p

17. doughboy

doughboy Guest

18. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

XD

19. yoshi2889

yoshi2889 Well-Known Member

Even my Micro SD card is more GB :p
    It's 7.9 GB haha

20. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

hahahaha.....laughing so hard at that! hahahahaha...