1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Whos getting a DSi? post you y/n and your thoughts here!!!

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by fgghjjkll, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Sonica

Sonica Well-Known Member

I might consider it. At the moment, what they need to woo me over is some more games, preferably good RPG(s) for an RPG nut I am.

Though, if there's a good, decent way of playing GBA games...

2. dewie68

dewie68 Active Member

yea and if they're gonna lock your DSi with those freaking automatic updates if you use a flashcart? then thats just dumb right there. That means no R4 or flashcarts or if you do have one then no internets. NO WAY. also (2) .3 megapixel cameras? they can do better than that. waste of money if you have lite or eve phat.

3. DiscostewSM

DiscostewSM Member

From what I've heard, it has better audio, wifi, up from 4MB to 16MB main RAM (not including the 256MB flash memory), the two cameras, and possibly a faster CPU. Haven't heard anything regarding the video hardware though.

While I'd like a DSi, I'm gonna wait until there is more news concerning the ability to run homebrew on it (under the DSi mode, not normal DS mode), because I spend most of my DS time programming for it. As for the SD slot, if allowed, I could see developers making games that come with a non-writable SD card that hold extra data. Maybe then we could see games like FF7 and other multi-disc PSX games ported over (since the only real non-duplicate data on each disc are movies).

I doubt that GBA games could be played on it from of an SD card or even from being loaded into main RAM. The speed of the DS's main RAM is greatly reduced if data is not read sequentially, and because GBA code can be executed right off the cartridge, the SD slot just could not handle that data transfer back and forth.

4. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

CPU is no different, and to my knowledge none of the other specs are any different (with the exception of wifi).

5. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Of course the RAM is separate. And yes it would not be fast enough to load a GBA binary unless used in a DS mode, which would be run off the different hardware. Main CPU is clocked at 133MHz, so yes more powerful. I don't know about the specific video hardware limitations (obviously), so maybe a possibility to use different sprite sizes or more than 128 sprites for each graphics engine? Eh, probably not. All you have to do is wait for a GBAtek for the DSi, then you can look at the system information yourself.

6. diegoo_duudee

diegoo_duudee Member

im keepin my dsl but defo getn a dsi

ur gonne miss out guys kuz these "dsi specific" games could be another metroid ;]

and yes i do agree its a scammy rip off but we all make money out of someone

7. Nintendude92

Nintendude92 Well-Known Member

I already pre-ordered mine in full. I don't use my Slot2 for anything. New menu and downloadable store is sexy.

Then I just get ak2i for all my storage needs.

8. Abbafan1972

Abbafan1972 Well-Known Member

We have 2 DS lites here and I plan on keeping them. Got a 3rd one on order for my youngest daughters birthday (Turquoise). Wanted to get one before stocks run out and they get replaced by the DSi.

I know some shops here in the UK are offering £75 trade-in on your DS Lite as an incentive to buy the DSi.

9. Krusha

Krusha Well-Known Member

No Flash carts = No DS2WIN = No sale!

fin.

10. Troublesome222

Troublesome222 Well-Known Member

I'll stick with my DS lite. I can just use a .7 megapixel camera for photo takings.

11. ppphhhooo

ppphhhooo Member

I still have the original DS lol I probably won't get the DSi because it too expensive.
    I will probably get a DS Lite when it drop down to about $60 ~ $80

12. silarry80

silarry80 Well-Known Member

If dsi is region locked to play dsi specific games, can it play all ds games from any region just like ds/dsl??

13. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I believe so.

14. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

15. Rhith

Rhith Well-Known Member

DSi store only allows you to download files from the region your system originated from and you use the language of that region as well. That is it. I can play the Japanese downloads fine, I can get them fine, I can surf US internet pages, I have an AK2i that WORKS so I can play all my games and my US and J DS cards work in it.

Juuuuust to clear things up.

16. gameaddict137

gameaddict137 New Member

I dont think the DSi has anything new to offer, just smaller and a backlight :/ no backwards compatibility and if its region locked waste of money, DS lite works just fine, and I only got mine 2 months ago :D

17. sasquatch

sasquatch Well-Known Member

not gonna get one straight away, have to wait every time I go out and get a new nintendo whatever on release day a deal comes out a month later and its like half price, and comes packaged with two games so yeah I will see what the games are like and then make a decision, plus in Australia a world wide release means we mite get it in like six months or so.

18. Troublesome222

Troublesome222 Well-Known Member

I could prolly' get one after it cheapens up... a lot.

19. diskjocki

diskjocki Well-Known Member

Bleh screw that, it can go rape some ass for all I care. It's a piece of crap that can't play my GBA games OR my roms :|

20. Mahouko

Mahouko Member

I'm probably gonna wait awhile my DS is still doing great atm. and i'm not sure if i'll like it all that more so, gonna wait till my brother get's his one then test it out and i'll see