1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Whos getting a DSi? post you y/n and your thoughts here!!!

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by fgghjjkll, Oct 12, 2008.

1. cab9541

cab9541 Well-Known Member

the thing costs 10 bucks more than the psp and the psp has so much more. the ds is a sweet device but its cheapness is a major part of just why the ds is sweet. that and backwards compatibility with the ability to play games released in any country. also being 20 bucks less than the cheapest xbox i would say most people are crazy to drop that money on a ds with a camera

2. pyromaniac123

pyromaniac123 Member

I've had my DS Phat since they were first released in the UK and I'm never going to replace it :)

3. DragonQuester

DragonQuester Well-Known Member

damn nintendo, trying to earn money.. lol, i aint getting one, thats for sure

4. veemon147

veemon147 Member

This is one of the reasons I hate Nintendo. I bought a DS Phat shortly after the release date, and as Nintendo always has to do, they released a better version down the line. It irked me to no end, and now they're doing the same thing again.

5. Barathrum

Barathrum Well-Known Member

Region Locked means that you can't play games from other countries?

6. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

7. DragonQuester

wow that sucks... i think that DSi is pointless if you own a flashcart such as the R4.. if you dont, maybe those are the only people who'll get it...

8. Skelletonike

Skelletonike Member

I was going to import one from Japan this christmas (since I had my black dsl stolen), but I read the reviews from several sites... It's really cool, having two cams (0.3mp and another 3.0mp), being able to read mmc (dunno what kind), it's pretty awesome, but they removed teh gba slot so prolly it's impossible to use rumble paks, and it's even region locked... I ended up buying a red dsl xP

9. DragonQuester

:p lol, yeah man, DSi sucks for many reasons.. region locked, and it doesnt have a slot2 place for GBA games, which sucks even more... these are some of the reasons im not getting it

10. Rhith

Rhith Well-Known Member

It's not region locked for retail games. They have an online market place that is region locked however. ALL DS games are region free and will work. Not to mention the Acekard 2i and the EZFlash Vi are out that will run on the DSi. I just ordered a black DSi yesterday and have an Acekard 2i in the mail as well. I'm going to do a bit of a write up if I have the time once I get them.

11. anandjones

No, the DSi specific games are locked. Whether they are downloaded or no. Besides, you don't really know what he was actually meaning anyway. It is not region locked for regular DS games.

12. Barathrum

Barathrum Well-Known Member

not getting one...no more Japanese games pfft please. Sticking to my ds lite it owns

13. Thalinor

Thalinor Active Member

Posted elsewhere as well...

I have no idea why they would go and put two camera's in this thing but no GBA slot. The worst part is the low rez camera is pointing at you! I thought the point was to use it like a web cam when gaming? Why would they put a crap camera pointing at the user; to save on bandwidth? Why would I want to use a webcam that sends video that looks like its from 1992. As for the 3mp camera on the front, why would I bother to wip out my DS to take a 3mp photo? My blackberry does the same thing and unlike my DS, my cell phone is always on me. Better yet, if I really want a photo i will use the 14mp Digital SLR. This new DS is nothing more then a marketing scam.

What they should do with a new updated DS:

-Better quality parts! (stronger plastics, etc). The DS Lite feels like a cheep piece of S..T!
    -Large High resolution screen and touchscreen.
    -Better quality touch screen.
    -More Ram
    -Faster processor
    -Better speakers & noise canceling mic.
    -ONE User facing high resolution camera.
    -Unlocked for Homebrew.
    -GBA Slot
    -Mini-SD Slot
    -Built in full featured web browser, media player, file explorer, and FULL PIM! (Calendar, Contacts, Etc)
    -PDF, DOC, XLS Support.
    -IR for beaming contacts, etc.
    -Bluetooth (Headsets, speakers, etc.)
    -Faster Wi-Fi, with Full a/b/g support.

More accessories - Remember that GBA slot? How about a small keyboard that locks into the GBA slot for typing! Or it can be wireless with BT!

What they need is a "Ds Executive" model made with a Ti metal case and metal stylus (with some weight).

I could be reading this wrong but from everything in print, it sounds like you WILL be able to play DS games but the DSI games will not work for you unless you get the Japanese ones. If you ordered yours from Japan, it will be Region locked for Japan. The region lock is for DSI games, software, and other download content hosted by Nintendo. When you go to connect to this service, you will likely run into problems. From what is sounds, you may not even be able to connect as you are not in that region. (Read Below)

Source: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/dsi-software-will-be-region-locked-confirms-nintendo

Nintendo has confirmed that software specifically created for the DSi will be region-locked, with European, North American and Japanese software only working on consoles designed for their specific regions.

Previous DS and GameBoy hardware has been region-free, allowing users to purchase US or Japanese software and play it on a European handheld.

Nintendo told our sister site Eurogamer.net this afternoon that the DSi is region locked "because DSi embeds net communication functionality within itself and we are intending to provide net services specifically tailored for each region".

The company added: "Also because we are including parental control functionality for Nintendo DSi and each region has its unique age limit made by different independent bodies."

This only applies to software that is compatible exclusively with the DSi - existing DS software remains region-free. Internet browsing and photo sharing also works globally.

It's worth noting that Nintendo's statement refers to "software" rather than "games". GamesIndustry.biz is seeking further clarification from Nintendo.

A lucrative retail market currently exists catering to early adopters and consumers keen to import Japanese and US titles often released far earlier in those regions than in Europe.

14. jc_106

jc_106 Well-Known Member

Some games are made specifically for the DSi (e.g. they need the camera). Those games are region locked, that means that the game needs to be bought in the same region as the DSi was. For example, if you bought/ordered your DSi from the USA, then the DSi specific games MUST be bought/ordered from the USA. But the other games (the ones that aren't specifically made for the DSi) can play fine on the DSi.

That's region locking. :p

15. Rhith

Rhith Well-Known Member

Well I'm not really concerned with DSi specific programs as of yet.
    Hopefully you will be able to install the US firmware on the japanese released units once it's out here.
    Until then I'll just enjoy DS games on it.

[Two days until mine is supposed to be here!]

16. anandjones

jin, like I already said, the DSi specific games are locked.

17. DragonQuester

So wait, when is this going to be released again?

18. Darkaxl

Darkaxl Active Member

This

19. DragonQuester

well now i've heard they are releasing flashcarts for the DSi, which can also be good :D

20. Rhith

Rhith Well-Known Member

EZFlash Vi
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.19158
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.19159

Acekard 2i (I have this one)
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.18728

TopToy DSTTi
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.18944

R4i (Sold Out)
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.18944