1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Who seriously pays for service?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by highpitchsolo, Jul 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Seph pays it out of his own pocket, yes. We have friends in the hosting industry who give us the best deals they can, and I also give my professional skills in maintaining servers for free.

2. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

@highpitchsolo: You really have no idea how difficult it is to run & maintain a site such as RomUlation.net unless you host a site like this yourself, heck I don't even have a clue how the admins manage all on their own. So being a member who just downloads games, it's very convinient for you to just rant about costs & stuff because you're not the one who handles the bills & fixes stuff when the site gets broken.

As for why the admins keep maintaining the site out of their own pursestrings? I really don't know too, but as far as I can tell, this seems to be more leaning towards the community who supports the site, not just for the downloads. Two years ago when the site had to comply with the cease & desist order & had to be shutdown, the community who supported the site returned when the forum was again online & for sometime there were no downloads available but still people were still visiting & interacting with everyone on the forums :D

I was like you too back then as well, just here or rather on the main site, for the games. I just started coming to these forums when it went back online, & like you I was ranting about why there were no more games.

My sentiments go with the others as for your decision to go somewhere else, but trust me, there is no other place as good as RomUlation when it comes to games & a good community. If you do find one, though I highly doubt it, I hope you enjoy their services & don't rant like this there because their staff might not be as friendly as RomUlation's if you complain like this.

3. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

I did for about the first year, but costs were lower back then, nowadays I do not upgrade unless I can afford it, safest way to run the site.

4. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Those are two things he needs to consider:

His distance to the servers, & his actual internet speeds.

Anyway, I think he's just complaining about the bandwidth limitation that's been implemented, but as everyone else pointed out, all he really needs is patience :)

5. cjdogger

cjdogger Guest

I sometimes get over 512 kb/s from RomU
    It's called good internet

6. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

He's here, he's probably one of the people that never buy anything game related and always use emulators ;)

7. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Ouch! I also use emulators, mostly for retro titles & for the GBA, but I did spend a few hundred dollars for my FamiCom cartridges back when I was a kid & Game CDs for my PSOne back in its prime years, LOL! ;D

8. highpitchsolo

highpitchsolo Active Member

I have no problem buying new game systems, it just kind of bugged me that they charge for a service that most places offer for free. I had no idea it cost so much to run this website though, so I can't complain anymore. Not many people are going to actually pay for the service, since they can easily get roms for free elsewhere, so I just think the cap is kind of pointless.

9. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

you'd be very surprised at how many people are willing to pay for our service. It's enough to keep the site running. You get what you pay for after all; our site is much better than all the others purely because of the amount of time and money we spend on it.

10. highpitchsolo

highpitchsolo Active Member

Well you obviously have a premium membership or are lying. I have Comcast and get 24Mb/s, so my connection is plenty fast enough. The only reason I get 150kb/s is because of the cap, and I usually get slightly over that, around 155 kb/s.

11. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

Do you actually download at 24 MB/s though?
    The most I have EVER gotten with Comcast is 2.5 MB/s downloading a torrent that I was seeding with one of my other computers.

I average about 700 KB/s if there are enough seeders that don't cap their upload speed at 0.01 KB/s.

I'd rather download the files here like the 700 MB images than go somewhere else, having to download .rar parts ALL day, having to come back to it every 15 minutes, or being limited like rapidshare "You have met the maximum download limit, please try again later." Here, I can just click and forget it, go make a sandwich, do something else while it goes. The less things I have to attend to, the faster it is. It doesn't have to wait for my input to download the next part. Then dealing with corrupted parts is another pain in the ass, especially trying to figure out which one it is out of 13 or so parts. Most of the time it just says it has encountered an error, not "part 6, 8 and 9 are totally !@#$ed, please redownload that."

12. Born2killx

Born2killx Well-Known Member

insanecrazy07, highpitchsolo said 24 Mbps. That would me 3 MB/s.

Mb = megabit (Mbps)
    MB = megabyte (MB/s)
    8 bits = 1 byte

13. insanecrazy07

Didn't see the lowercase b, it's 4 AM here. I just saw two characters an M and a B with a /s, usually that means the large B. Otherwise it's p format with Mbps.

14. Born2killx

Born2killx Well-Known Member

Yeah, he kind of mixed the two formats together.

15. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Well-Known Member

Hey, in my defense I've never said you were greedy. I meant that I'm on tenuous enough ground already after that debacle to link to places that release ROMs on Rapidshare (rules against warez sites, etc). If I had enough disposable income I'd probably buy a premium membership; I have no problems at all with the technical setup here and appreciate the effort.

16. insanecrazy07

I also saw the lowercase b for kb/s, which I assumed was KB/s since he said 150, which is the download limit.

So by similarity, his Mb/s was interpreted as MB/s.

About the 8 bits in a byte...I find it insulting that I have to take an IT class at my college to fill a gen ed. I specifically remember that question being asked when my friend took it last year. lol

17. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

This is getting entirely out of hand, if CJ gets 512 kiloBYTES from RomU then his software suck because it's either A) Lying to him or B) Horrible at counting the rate of incoming packets. If he gets 512 kiloBITS only, well then OWNED. Now locked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.