1. This forum is in read-only mode.

who is harder to raise: boys or girls?

Discussion in 'Debates' started by hi1116, May 7, 2010.

1. unqiueninja

unqiueninja Well-Known Member

thank you ;D

2. buchichu

buchichu Well-Known Member

The fact of the matter is, these things hardly ever happen, and when they do it's usually a media frenzy. Think about the cases of female teachers sexually assaulting their underaged students, it becomes a media sensation even though this kind of thing hardly EVER happens (probably WHY the media jumps all over it) meanwhile male teachers were being prosecuted all over the country for the same crime and it was virtually ignored.

Why don't you take a look at the majority of women in prison...you'll find the VAST majority of them in there for murder are there for killing their violent and abusive husbands. The law didn't give them the benefit of the doubt or any bias even though these women are not otherwise violent offenders and wouldn't be a threat to society, and yet they're in prison.

3. gaynorvader

gaynorvader Well-Known Member

So they say, somehow I doubt it's true in even the majority of cases, most women whom are abused don't stand up for themselves, that's why it's such a problem. The same for men. Also, where a man has been physically or mentally abused by his wife, the man does not want to bring it to light as most people won't believe him, much the way it was for women 50-100 years ago.

4. buchichu

except for that it is actually true...do some research just based on the inmates in women's prisons and why they are there. For the most part they're not there for random violent crimes, assaults, robberies or drug-related offenses (although the statistics for the aforementioned are on the rise), they're there for what I've mentioned and also there tends to be some infanticide/filicide, almost always a result of a mental or emotional instability. It seems irrational to me to even compare men and women and their tendencies for violent crime towards one another but on the other hand, ignorance in these matters is a prime reason why violence against women remains such a huge issue, even in this day and age. It is, after all, still predominantly a patriarchal society, whether one wants to believe it or not.

5. gaynorvader

All the statistics I can find lend no evidence to support your claims that all (or even most of) the women who are incarcerated for killing their husbands were in an abusive marriage. Could you please post me the link to your source?

6. markswan

markswan Well-Known Member

http://www.womeninprison.org.uk/statistics.php
    nicic.gov/pubs/1997/013768.pdf
    It certainly looks like the majority of women prisoners were abused (physically and/or sexually) before incarceration, but I can't find the statistics that shows that abusive partners are most often the people whom female murderers are imprisoned for killing.

http://www.benbest.com/lifeext/murder.html CTRL+F "RELATIONSHIP OF MURDERER TO VICTIM".
    I guess I'll be avoiding taxi cabs in Washington being driven by white guys if I ever travel back in time to the 80s :)

7. gaynorvader

Not particularly good evidence.

8. markswan

Given that the conviction rates for rape are so low, given that the rate of false accusations of rape are so low, and given the fact that the figures correlate with those of other western countries; I think I'll give the female prisoners the benefit of the doubt that they're not lying. I can't prove it though; the only thing that would prove it were if there were successful convictions of all the abusers of the prisoners that were recorded somewhere.

9. gaynorvader

If you were arrested for a violent crime against your spouse, wouldn't you try to justify it by saying he/she abused you?

10. buchichu

I think the real question is why you and so many other men try so hard to ignore the fact that women are usually the victims of violence by men and most certainly not the other way around. I find it worrying that attitudes like yours are still so prevalent but it does give some serious insight as to why these issues are still not adequately addressed.

11. msg2009

msg2009 Romulations sexiest member

I know of many times a woman has hit a man, ive seen it a fair few times.
    Women are just as violent, but which man would ever report been beaten by a woman? none that i know of.
    These crimes dont get reported.

12. buchichu

dear god...how can anyone sit there and say women are just as violent and commit just as many acts of violence only it doesn't get reported?? It's disgusting. I have to sit there and watch news report after news report about YET ANOTHER woman who was brutally attacked, raped or murdered and then be further insulted and really, really disappointed to see more males justifying it by claiming we just don't see how men are really victims too. Good grief, when men are victims it's usually by other men, they're not hunted down REGULARLY the way women are, they don't have to always be aware of their surroundings the way women do, they don't have fear not only strangers but men close to them the way women do. They can just sit back and watch while women continue to be victimized and desperately try and convince themselves it's not really as big a problem as we think. Horrifying.

This answers the question, though, who's harder to raise: it's clearly girls. Boys never really have to deal with even a fraction of what women will have to deal with in their lifetime and are apparently quite content with that.

13. msg2009

wow....you have issues...
    Google up some facts on women beating men, i assure you it happens more often than you think.

14. buchichu

and I assure you, my biggest issue continues to be men's denial of violence against women. Men who refuse to face facts about this problem are only adding to it, so congratulations. Women the world over can thank men like you for not stepping up and helping to solve the problem and instead trying to turn it around on them.

15. msg2009

wtf?
    Nobody ever said men didn't beat women, I think everyone clearly knows they do.
    Why are you unable to see anything else but your own biased view?

I never tried to turn it around i just pointed out a FACT that women also beat men which you tried to turn around and blame me for something!

So congratulations, beaten men the world over can thank women like you for not stepping in and helping to solve this problem and instead trying to turn it around on them.

16. gaynorvader

Sexist! :mad:

17. markswan

From my first link: "More than half of women in UK prisons say that they have suffered domestic violence and one in three has experienced sexual abuse". So half the women in prison are there for violence against their spouse?
    Gaynorvader didn't say that...
    I don't think that women are naturally as violent as men, but I think they have the potential to be as aggressive.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2476841/Violent-women-binge-drinking-culture-fuels-rise-in-attacks-by-women.html
    But on the other hand; you have this:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4284744.stm
    This debate seems to have turned into men versus women :(
    What happened to the "angry" smiley? Removed so that it wouldn't offend?

18. gaynorvader

That seems to have been the implication, that these women are somehow justified in their violence because they were abused by their spouse.

19. markswan

I never said that they were justified in any acts of violence that they may have commited.

20. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

What the hell are you spouting off about?