1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Which one of you...

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by cjdogger, May 26, 2009.

1. Wintrale

Wintrale Well-Known Member

All I know is that I fear for those Apple addicts once they find out about Apple's £500 handheld game's console. :D

But yeah, I wasn't going to get a DSi for a while... I mean, I still hadn't figured a reason to get it over the DSPhat - since I'm not big on buying a new console just for aesthetic improvements - until I saw what DSiWare had in store for gamers. Sure, here in England the DSiWare store basically sucks (PiCOPiCT or whatever it's called is the only thing worth downloading so far), but it'll pick up by the end of the year. I'm really hoping Nintendo announces a handheld VC for it at E3 or TGS.

2. cjdogger

cjdogger Guest

Well that's like saying the XBL Marketplace is what makes the 360 special

3. Wintrale

Only if the first generation 360 didn't come with it.

4. cjdogger

cjdogger Guest

You mean the Xbox?
    The DSi is a new handheld, not a new edition

5. Wintrale

Nah, the DSi isn't a new handheld... It's just a remixed version of the DS... No different to the Gameboy Micro, which basically removed GBC/GB backwards compatibility in exchange for a sleeker, more defined appearance. You can tell that the DSi is just another DS, since they even say as much here.

6. cjdogger

cjdogger Guest

Then the games shouldn't be DSi only that come out in the future

7. Wintrale

The DSi has features the standard DS doesn't have, like twin cameras, an SD card slot and access to DSiWare. So it makes sense to have DSi-Exclusive games. The standard DS will be phased out over time, by developers rather than Nintendo, as more and more of them start using the extra features (Intelligent Systems, the guys behind Advance Wars and Fire Emblem, is already working on six DSi-exclusive games and Ghostwire have been working on a game, as well) now available to them. DLC is a massive market, so expect a lot of developers to abuse the high price point for DSiWare downloads.

8. cjdogger

cjdogger Guest

That makes it a different handheld!

9. Wintrale

No, it's a DS with extra (premium) features. It's not a wholly different console, since it shares more than it differs... It just has more features is all, with the possibility of even more software-based features added later on.

10. crazytuna

crazytuna Well-Known Member

But I don't get it, how can they include the camera within a game? wouldn't that be hard since we all live in different places and the pictures we take are all different?

11. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

put a picture of your face on the game protagonist?

12. crazytuna

crazytuna Well-Known Member

yeah good point, but still make a good DSi-only game just to see your face?
    That would be lame >_>

13. Wintrale

Easily. I linked to one such game elsewhere here... The game GhostWire is working on... The outside camera is used to "scan" rooms for ghosts and whatnot. There's also WarioWare Snapped, which proves that games like those motion-sensing Eyetoy-like games can work... Nothing has been properly worked out yet, obviously, but we can't go expecting too much so soon - it's obviously not very easy to think of ways to use a camera within a game. But the option is there and developers are doing stuff with it.

14. timmy1991

timmy1991 Well-Known Member

as soon as i can get free dsiware and a decent flash cart, i will go get one

15. Wintrale

Well, the AceKard 2i is good enough. It plays ROMs and has cheats, what more do you need? :D

And yeah, I'm wondering how long it'll be until someone cracks the DSiWare. Heck, I'm wondering if it's even possible.