1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Where do I start?

Discussion in 'Flashcart Help' started by kickrz, Dec 19, 2010.

1. kickrz

kickrz Member

Ok so this is my order:
    SuperCard DSTWO DS/GBA Cartridge for DS, DSL and DSi

• Firmware Version - v1.41 (For DSi 1.41U, 1.4U and lower)
    • MicroSD Memory Card - Kingston 2GB
    • Accessories - DSi-XL Screen Protector

Is that the right version?

Once I get the card what exactly do I do with it. If it comes loaded with the firmware I need is it ready to go? Plug in and load games? OH and when I go to download from here what do the letters mean beside the file? (JP) (U) etc...

ETA: As I am reading around the forum I am seeing that Kingston cards are a bit troublesome...should I buy separate?

2. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

1. Buy SANDISK, no one been complaining about SANDISK, its the No.1 Micro Card we all would recommend .

2. Buy at least the touchscreen screen protector, the top screen protector is not necessary. This will protect the touchscreen from the scratches made by the stylus. I had to change the skin protector from time to time everytime I play games that need the use of stylus, such as POKEMON RANGER series.

3. In the console package, there's usually 2 stylus. At least that's what I got, and never lost it.

4. Basically if its pre installed kernel/firmware, you just need to add the roms into the SD card. But first I suggest you duplicate the default content of the SD card, as I've seen it way too often kids accidentally deleting a file and causes the cart to not function.

5. I don't know if the 1.4.1 is the latest. You can try to follow the latest from their official site shown on the box or the manual that comes along with it.

6. Do not ever upgrade your console's internal firmware via WIFI, since you're using flash cartridges to run pirated games. Nintendo is known to have made an updated firmware for their console that makes it impossible to read pirated games. The cheeky part is that they don't tell you prior to you accepting the updates. So just stick to updating your flash cartridge only.

3. kickrz

kickrz Member

Is that done through the console?
    I did go ahead and purchase a 4GB sandisk so hope it is the right one.

How exactly does it work? Is the DStwo like the card reader for the SD card?
    You said you would duplicate the content of the SD card but I am buying that separate so there won't be anything on that right? The firmware 1.4.1 is on the DStwo card. How would I save what is on the DSTWO?

It sounds so simple to add games but I just want to get how it works.
    When I go to the DSTWO user manual it says "Download the OS, Unzip and copy the system folder _dstwo to the root of the microSD" So if I had how would you put firmware on the DSTWO? Mine will come with it but again just curious how it all works.

4. Joseg1320

Joseg1320 Well-Known Member

Yeah the DSTWO is basically a card reader that allows you to run the games on your DSi.

You won't have to do anything but download the EOS http://eng.supercard.sc/manual/dstwo/download.htm

then extract it and drag and drop the _dstwo folder onto the root of your micro SD card. Then just make a new folder named GAMES (also on the root of the sd card) and just put the .nds game files in there, which you can get from this site, http://forum.romulation.net/index.php?board=55.0

The firmware that is in the DSTWO, you don't need to worry about, since leetmod will preload it with the 1.41 which allows it to run on the newest DSi version. If you were to upgrade your DSi firmware, then your DSTWO would probably no longer work and you would have to upgrade it when the Supercard company made a new firmware, but for now, don't worry about that. Just don't update your daughter's DSi firmware.

5. Prectorian

What I meant with my earlier post was the OS like what you've mentioned along with Joseg. Just don't upgrade your console's firmware through WIFI internet connection. WIFI has 2 functions; 1. enable multi player by allowing 2 or more consoles to communicate with each other, 2. to connect to the internet through Nintendo Online (function no.2 is what you should avoid or at least be careful)

Since you're buying the SD card separate from the DSTWO, the SD Micro will require the OS that you must download (follow Joseg's directions). Its basically download the OS, extract, and drag the entire files into the SD Micro. And what I meant with keep a duplicate/copy is that OS files.

Reason is because your daughter is 6 yrs old, she might accidentally press a wrong button and cause a certain file deleted through the console. That happens a lot, trust me, I've seen many cases. By having a back up copy, you will save yourself the trouble of searching for replacements.

Other than that, after installing OS through copy and paste to the SD Micro, you're good to go. You can immediately add game ROMs into the SD Micro. Again, you'll have to end the files with .dsi or .DSI. Cause your console is DSi XL. If you download a file and it ends with .nd5 or .nds, just replace the extension name.

There are lots of games for girls of her age as Nintendo is more family oriented and has really mild violence content, unlike Sony or Xbox which are more teen to adult oriented.

Edit:

Read this : http://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.cfm/2010/09/09/latest_dsi_firmware_blocks_flashcart_usage
    and
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_DS_storage_devices
    This is what I meant, so be careful when going online via WIFI, avoid accidentally upgrading your console's firmware. (Not talking about the flash cartridge's) As this might cause your console not able to read the DSTWO. Neither the console or the DSTWO becomes broken, but the firmware upgrade will cause the 2 not 'compatible'.

6. kickrz

kickrz Member

Wow you guys are amazing! Thank you so much for taking the time to explain it to me. What a great bunch :)
    When I create the file folder called games can I create more then one folder? I want to keep things as organized and easy to find as possible so can I create a bunch of folders or 1 folder called Games and then create like sub folders?

I can't thank you enough for the help. I love how people help and this actually seems less complicated then doing Wii Iso's :)

7. Prectorian

Yes, its not complicated.

Well, if you want to make folders to catagorize the games, since the DSTWO can run not only NDS/DSI games, but also run GBA and SNES games too. Yes, you can do that. You can add other folders too, but again it depands on whether what you add can be read by the console or not. If it can't be read, actually there would be no point in adding it into the SD Micro as it will only take up precious space.

I would rather suggest you do that to a folder in your computer to keep all back ups and roms that your daughter no longer play or not yet play but you want it ready if she ask for that game.

You can get walkthrough/game guide/tutorial from gamefaq.com, just in case your daughter had trouble playing the game. There's also where you can see what games are going to be release too.

If there is any game you have trouble running in the DSTWO, come over to the Technical Section in romulation.net, some of us uses DSTWO also. They can point out what you should do. I can tell you who they are but it won't be appropriate at the moment. Cheers.

8. kickrz

kickrz Member

Thank you again.

I just wanted to clarify 1 more thing. When I download from this site and there is the country code (JP) (J) (E)...etc do those matter to me? I thought I read the were for the developer or something. If I download the one with a J or E beside it is it going to be in japenese? I do notice there are are duplicates for some so it got me thinkng why have an (J) version and a (US) version if technically they are the same :)

THEN I may stop bugging you ;)

For example the last 4 I downloaded have a (JP)

9. dedboy

dedboy Guest

NTSC are Japan and US style roms.
    E(European) run on a PAL format.
    Yet, some Japanese roms are in Japanese language. Most though, have a language select feature.
    On occasion patches are released(language patches), but that isn't always the case.
    Again, if you have a question about any titles, Google them, or ask it here.
    Chances are you'll find out what you need to know. And the territorial(Country) codes, are more for the dumpers and hosters of the rom itself.
    Of course it does help to know you've got peanut butter before you go and try to deep fry it -_-;

Some titles even have compatibility issues. That's another story though.

10. Prectorian

Base on my experience, I can play the Europe (E)/(EU), Japan (J)/(JP), USA (U)/(US), etc. version with no issues. Mostly just different in language. The (E)(EU) version can mean anything from English, Spanish, Dutch, Franch, German, etc. But those are usually marked as "Multi-5". Other version includes Korean (K), Spanish (S), German (G), Chinese (C), France (F), Italian (I), etc.

Actually, I too don't understand why there should be a U and E version that both run in English.

In PS games yes they actually mark regions lock and the video type (NTSC/PAL), but NDS as far as I know doesn't follow this rule of thumb, usually only regarding language. Mostly if you can't run it or have issues (glitch, freeze, black screen, etc.) its mostly caused by Anti Piracy Protection. Its this that you'll need help to bypass using a patching tool.

The most common around here are xDelta Patch and Rudolph Child's Play Patch, there are others too. But you'll need to wait until its made by those who understand. The easiest in Rudolph's made by Rudolph, it basically drag and drop. xDelta is a bit more complicated, but still easy to use. Look around in the Technical Section when this happen. Its normally between a couple of hours to a few days after the release of a new game that the patch comes out. Depanding on how popular the game is. Best is to simply download a rom marked as "Cracked" or "Pre-patched" so that you don't need to bother about how to patch.

11. kickrz

kickrz Member

Just wanted to thank you for referring me to this website. I placed the order on Sunday the 19th, item was shipped on the 20th and is currently on route to my house now. 2 days as stated on their site :)

12. tsubakix2

tsubakix2 Well-Known Member

Screen protectors for me are much more hassle than they are worth. I had them on my DS Phat back in the day, and they were hard to put on and not really needed. I've used my DS lite without them and no problems. Also, a small problem I've had is that sometimes my stylus falls out of my DS Lite but that's to be expected with how long I've had the thing. Just grab a couple extra on the cheap.:D