1. This forum is in read-only mode.

What's the best antivirus?

Discussion in 'Computers & Modding' started by Reemr, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

For the people who don't like taking the performance hit of having an on-access scanner (resident protection) (even though I don't notice mine running) there is a good free AV that does not have resident protection, instead relying on scheduled scans (which you configure) and right-click scans of individual files and folders. get it here: http://www.clamwin.com/

2. Gietz

Gietz Well-Known Member

I use zone alarm security suite, thats setup to virus and spyware scan once a week. It also has a firewall, everything you need really.

Its still yet to fail me.

But if your looking for a free one thats good, I've used avast! in the past and that was also good.

3. Loonylion

Avast! scans rather slowly. I've no idea what ZoneAlarm antivirus is like, but ZoneAlarm is primarily a firewall.

4. Gietz

Gietz Well-Known Member

Zone Alarm is actually quite good. I've heard stories from a mate that it wouldn't let him do anything, but it works prefect for me, nothing goes wrong, and doesn't stop me from gaming or anything.

I have security suite, which comes with all antivirus, spyware and firewall all in the one program. I think you can get them all seperate with Zone alarm firewall, or something.

5. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Zone Alarm Firewall can be gotten separately, for non 64bit OSes.

6. 1Blacks1

1Blacks1 Well-Known Member

LOL !!

"From a Mate"

Well, i did have ZoneAlarm once in my life time and like loony said Its "primarily a firewall".

7. luster_shade

luster_shade Member

Primarily what I know there is a free version of ZoneAlarm, but its only a fire wall. Is there free version of ZoneAlarm anti-virus?

8. majormovies

majormovies New Member

i use avast pro ... much faster than the home version and works great with p2p sharing .....

9. b0tnet

b0tnet Member

Avira is the best. It has high virus/spyware detection ability and low resource usage.
    The second best is ESET cpu wise, but I have to question its detection accuracy. I always seem to find no viruses on my system with its scanning system, but I find tons of malware if I use MalwareByte's scanner.

10. berowra3

berowra3 New Member

Avira is the best because the reviews they are the best
    The avast is second best

11. Loonylion

Avast is slow as hell though.

12. Hyza

Hyza Active Member

Would most likely be AVG. Stay away from anything McAfee, Like Norton.

13. mister_djirlow

mister_djirlow New Member

Avira and AVG from the free ones, Kaspersky and Nod32 from the non-free ones.
    Avoid Avast!, Make-a-fee(Mcafee) and Slowtorn.(Norton).

14. hellhound650

hellhound650 Member

A quick question, Is Symantec Antivirus good?

15. Loonylion

no, it's crap. Symantec = norton

16. hellhound650

hellhound650 Member

Really? Oh well, I got it for free. I'll get a better one such as AVG free edition since I'm a cheapskate.

17. n0thealthy

n0thealthy Well-Known Member

I disagree again. The new 2009 version is really good.

18. Loonylion

the version was not specified, and even if that version is good none of the others are. It will take a lot more than one decent version to redeem them.

19. n0thealthy

n0thealthy Well-Known Member

Yes it will, but it won't help if people keep saying they're rubbish without even trying them.

20. hellhound650

hellhound650 Member

Well, I have Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition. It updates the virus definitions every week or every few days. I can't tell what year it was made, so I have no clue if it is good or not.