1. This forum is in read-only mode.

What's the best antivirus?

Discussion in 'Computers & Modding' started by Reemr, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

actually, no. Some AVs are shit. Like Norton/McAfee

also no OS is 100% virus free. Even Acorn computers have viruses, albeit very few.

2. snebbers

snebbers Well-Known Member

McAfee is a Ram whore. I'm never putting that pile of excrement on my pc.

3. Loonylion

quite apart from resource usage (one thing thats terrible about norton especially), norton has very poor detection rates and even worse disinfection rates, and mcafee has an unreasonably high rate of false positives (detecting clean files as viruses).

4. timmy1991

timmy1991 Well-Known Member

AVG does that a lot too, also uses up ram... I need to find a different AV since I can barely use my computer while a scan is running, makes it so slow

5. Loonylion

slowing your computer down during a scan is true of any AV.

6. Fire_Ice

Fire_Ice Guest

I do not agree with that why?? I'll say:

When you are on the net you must have a virus program bedcause even just a thing like
    surfing on the net can give you a virus a keylogger or spam

when that sits on your pc without a virusscanner or spyware detecter
    your pc will be wrecked in no time

the programs hepls you to keep your pc safe even it means that it willslow your pc
    i do not mind that as long as my pc keeps clean of viruses

that's why i say every pc must have some sort of protection for viruses and spyware

7. yoshi2889

yoshi2889 Well-Known Member

I say AVG-free, its free and it detects it when opened, it stops the program too...

8. damanali

damanali Well-Known Member

what is the difference between a Firewall and anti-virus?
    cause when i was downloading avg free, and installing it, you need to update it before finishing installation.

so meaning, the antivirus is down but microsoft firewall or something is up. so I was wondering about that...

9. Loonylion

antivirus protects your computer from viruses, firewall protects your computer from hackers. Or in the case of Micro$oft firewall, doesn't.

10. yoshi2889

one tip: dont set automatic updates on, the screen shrinks and you have to reboot the PC (like what happened by my grandfather)

Corrected a letter, but it was a bit late...

11. Loonylion

thats nothing to do with the antivirus, and you should leave AV updates on automatic, and at least once a day.

12. AbstractChaos666

AbstractChaos666 Well-Known Member

Re: What\'s the best antivirus?

That my friend, is called malaware >_<
    Post Merge: [time]1254559015[/time]
    Btw I use Kaspersky and it works fine besides the fact that it is NOT free and it is very picky at times.

13. Loonylion

you mean 'malware', and in this particular instance, the term is 'scareware', because it scares you into paying for the software. The viruses it 'finds' do not exist, and when you pay for the software it either does nothing or causes damage.

14. AbstractChaos666

Thank you for the correction Loony, to be honest I thought it was malware myself but I relied on google for the correction LOL. I've had that problem once with my younger sister, who accidentally thought it was true and downloaded it. Some of them are just bad though...who would believe they had 3569 viruses on their computer? They sure are a pain to remove.

Just to add to the post, AVG free should work absolutely fine, no need to pay for an antivirus program. Also if your computer's performance is substantial or good enough, you won't have to worry too much about an antivirus program slowing your computer down once it has pretty much synced with it. ^_^

15. Loonylion

I've seen computers with far more than that.

16. AbstractChaos666

That's a sad story ._.

17. PuffyChain

PuffyChain Well-Known Member

me too...
    [​IMG]
    bcoz it have high detection rate...

18. timmy1991

timmy1991 Well-Known Member

If you know where to dig around, you can get the paid version of AVG for free... like I found an activation key for mine in a description in a youtube video

19. yoshi2889

you can get AVG free here: www.download.com , its scanning now here... hope my computer don't falls off... :p

20. snebbers

snebbers Well-Known Member

Hence why you use a firewall and basic windows security protection, Which on my computer is disabled.

If I need this software so much, then how comes I've not had a virus in two years? You might say that because I don't have any software I won't be able to detect a virus or a hacker taking control of my computer right? Well I have Kaspersky with the heuristic scan turned off. And to be frank, I don't even have Kaspersky turned on 90% of the time anyway.

So again I'm led back to my point, how comes I have never obtained a virus from the net or anything? It's not pure luck I can tell you that.