1. This forum is in read-only mode.

What water pokemon should I use?

Discussion in 'Game Help' started by bobobob1, Apr 19, 2010.

1. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

I'm assuming that they're using it for anything found in-game, including the battle tower minus online play, as well as anything found on PBR minus online play.

2. cottonballs64

cottonballs64 Active Member

What I meant is that I don't want to pick a starter that I'm not going to use, and normally I wouldn't use Lugia, but I went through all the work of catching him without the Master Ball... I couldn't resist.
    Dusk Balls are my favorite, I always buy like 20 of them because it's usually late at night when I play, plus they look cool.
    I'm not very competitive, it's solely for fun.

3. bobobob1

bobobob1 Well-Known Member

Ok, I'll clarify. What I'm looking for is a team that together, can blast through any type of pokemon I would encounter. Basically, in your words, I'm looking for a team of sweepers. (I'm assuming that by "tank" you mean a pokemon that can take a lot of hits and survive.)

I'm also debating whether to change the Ampharos to a Venusaur. Is Venusaur better than Meganium?

4. gettajob0007

gettajob0007 Well-Known Member

Milotic is a freak but is hard to come by and i think hard to train.

5. omgwtfitzben

omgwtfitzben Well-Known Member

So basically, are you looking for an in-game team? Use this to help click here

If you want a competitive team, that's really different and way more in-depth.

My favorite in-game team would be (I have 2/3 of it right now) is: Typhlosion, Starmie, Garchomp, Gengar, Scizor, Tropius (My HM slave!). I don't have Scizor or Garchomp yet though. Starmie takes out a majority of the Pokemon in game. (Surf, Psychic, Thunderbolt, Ice Beam).

6. marzz92

marzz92 Well-Known Member

Venusaur is more like a tank as well.... If you are looking for a grass sweeper, maybe try Roserade?

7. insanecrazy07

Physical sweeper or Special sweeper? Or run a mixed set? Mixed sets are generally not as potent, but are more versatile, and since you're looking for versatility, a mixed one is probably best. I know you don't want starters, but Feraligatr and Swampert are very good sweepers, especially when Feraligatr is running the Swords Dance/Salac set. After one SD, and taken enough damage, the berry activates, raises your speed one stage, and your health is within the range to activate Torrent. Tack on Waterfall's base power 80, STAB, Torrent, and a Swords Dance, plus the speed boost, you have a very awesome sweeper. It doesn't have the x4 weakness like Gyarados has with Electrics, or the same scenario like Swampert does with Grass types, and there's one thing I like about Feraligatr over Gyarados...It can boost its attack at twice the rate.

Venusaur is an absolute terror in UU with access to Swords Dance, Power Whip, Overgrow, a Life Orb, and Return for some nasty damage. You can try a little risk with Sleep Powder, which is handy when it hits. It is generally built to take at least two hits so it can set up the sweep. The downside is its speed...
    Meganium is generally a support type, having access to both screens, aromatherapy, and the usual SubSeed strategy.

8. bobobob1

Sounds good. So, now, I'm just debating between Lapras and Starmie. Just tell me which one, please!

And, so, would a grass type like venusaur be better than a electric type?

9. insanecrazy07

Again, you're just comparing types, not roles, or tactics.
    You're simply substituting a grass type for an electric JUST for the fact that they're water killers, ignoring their roles...

10. Inunah

Inunah Well-Known Member

Mudkip is the only suggestion. Mudkip is the only water pokemon.

Mudkip is god.

You cannot deny him being suggested.

11. omgwtfitzben

Feraligatr is an excellent water Pokemon with Ice Fang and Crunch.

I wouldn't even consider Lapras because you want sweepers. Starmie is a way better choice.

12. insanecrazy07

Lapras is just an inferior boltbeamer compared to similar boltbeamers like Starmie, and Lanturn.
    Starmie is on one end of the spectrum, while Lanturn is on the other, and has neat typing to boot.
    Just because you see a tankish set, doesn't mean you can't sweep with it. Most of my favorite setups are bulky sweepers that are either self-boosted, or baton passed.

13. bobobob1

Yes, that is what I'm doing, because I just want an awesome in-game team, not one that I'm going to battle competitively with.

14. omgwtfitzben

Exactly, he wants an in-game team, not competitive.

15. insanecrazy07

Except for the fact that just about any competitive tactic can win against anything found in-game.

Do "type matching" in the Battle Tower and you won't make it past battle 70 or so. Battle Tower requires actual strategy, not just a bunch of type-effective sweepers.

Being 20 levels lower than Lance's R2 team (I was level 50 at the start of the E4 run), my Bulk Up Poliwrath with +6 Attack, and +6 Defense created "unbreakable" substitutes and completely WALLED his team, as well as dealing super effective OHKO Ice Punches.

That's just a Poliwrath...not a Scizor, Garchomp or a Mewtwo or a cheapass Darkrai.

16. bobobob1

Then can you give me some advice? I don't understand what you mean by EU, UU, OU, boltbeamer, etc, etc. Do you think that status changing moves like Bulk Up are useful?

17. insanecrazy07

Go on smogon.com and read their articles about what the competitive battling scene is all about. They tell you just about everything you need to know, from tactics to terminology.