1. This forum is in read-only mode.

What was the thing that started your pirating adiction?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tomoka, Aug 27, 2010.

1. personuser

personuser Well-Known Member

It appears to be some kind of cartridge copier.

They produced amusing messages when you used them with first-party games.

Anyways, my pirate roots started with a SNES, too. I used to have one with a LOT of rare games (Mario RPG, Kirby's Dream Land 3, etc) a lot of first party titles (Mario, Donkey Kong, etc), about 35 games in total, 2 controllers and a RARE snes-approved josytick that looked like the NES advantage but greyish-black. Needless to say, my collection was kickass.

Then my dad sold all of it on ebay for $30 and said I could save the money for college.

Just the Dreamland 3 cart ALONE cost $50.

That is the one and only thing I ever held a grudge against dad for.

So, from there on the story is generic as is gets; Boy meets online emulator; Boy waits two years for online emulator of SNES, boy discovers OFFLINE emulator, boy finds ROMs, and it builds from there. For awhile I was a bit frightened of copyrights, but not for long before I realized I wasn't a big dog.

2. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Curiosity.

I was once I die hard fan of nintendo, and...found some homebrew but couldn't play it...eventually I got my first device to play roms.

GBAmp (gba movie player), allowed nes roms to boot in...limited fashion.

Hacked it, started playing all nes roms, got curious about other types...and was with an acekard before I knew it as well as epsxe :)

3. yoshi2889

yoshi2889 Well-Known Member

I know but just curious :p

4. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

The Super UFO Pro to be exact, although mine was the Pro 8 J version.

5. msg2009

msg2009 Romulations sexiest member

Thats a nice bit of kit :)
    How much are those worth?

6. Cahos Rahne Veloza

I got mine way, way back in 1997 for 1,500 Php (Philippine Peso) which at that time was $60USD.

7. Rayder

Rayder Well-Known Member

Things being free as opposed to paying for them is was got me addicted.

8. Yutrzenika

Yutrzenika Well-Known Member

The wanting of games, and the lack of money really.

9. MohsinMVP

MohsinMVP Well-Known Member

I actually bought each and every single video game since I was 5 (and I am 18 now). I probably spent over $2000.00 on video games. Ever since 2 years ago I saw my friend navigating through some sort of menu in his DS and playing a game. I was like "OMG how did you get all those games on your DS." He introduced me to an r4 and I was like "F**k I can get games for FREE, Omg Why did I waste money on DS games!" And then I learned you can play any games for free for any system. Ever since then I became a pirate. Arrrgghhh

10. Cahos Rahne Veloza

I was like that too, back in the 80's :)

I'd save up my school allowance until Christmas & I'd buy myself videogame cartridges. Then during the SNES era, my classmates/friends & I were introduced to the Super UFO copier/Loader. There were still no internet back then (1994) here in my country so we actually bought pirated ROMs from legit selling stores, how 'bout that LOL! Then aroung 96' when the internet was at its infancy here my classmates/friends found out about ROMs, ROM Hacking/Fan Translating, emulators & ROMs hosting sites & the rest was history :)

11. usernameladiesman217

usernameladiesman217 Well-Known Member

It's weird actually.
    I download like 5 NDS games a day but I barely play any of them and if I do it's only for an hour.

Now if I had bought them... I would be playing them nonstop.
    I guess there's no nostalgia if you get everything free.

12. personuser

personuser Well-Known Member

Did you guys ever get first-party titles? I know some like earthbound, Mario All-Stars, Super Metroid, Super Punch-out and Donkey Kong Country 1-3 had strong AP when run on cartridge copiers, Earthbound being the worst. It spawns more enemies throughout the whole game, then PURPOSEFULLY crashes and DELETES ALL SAVE DATA on the last boss! The others just give a "don't copy that shit" message.

13. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Nope, never had that happen to me, as the Super UFO & The Super Magicom were created with anti AP in mind at that time. But there is an issue if I use cheat codes on Super Punch Out!

14. yoshi2889

yoshi2889 Well-Known Member

I started pirating CD's when my first CD broke...The Sims 2 ORIGINAL CD!