1. This forum is in read-only mode.

What was the last anime series you completed watching ???

Discussion in 'Anime, Manga & Cartoons' started by rock91, Dec 29, 2009.

1. light_x_dark

light_x_dark Well-Known Member

*sigh*

Finally finished Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood.

2. yougotmail42

yougotmail42 Active Member

Just because it follows the manga doesn't instantly qualify it as a better show, and I didn't say the story was bad either. And as a matter of fact they did rush through it, most notably the first 14 episodes. If you'd just stop blinding yourself with this "but it follows the manga" excuse, you'd see what I mean. (Besides, it did not follow the manga to the letter. They skipped the train arc and covered the coal mine arc in a flashback.) Also, "incase ya didnt know," a great ending doesn't always make a great anime (Code Geass, or Code Gay-ass, as you call it).

The first 14 episodes followed the assumption that the audience is already familiar with the first series and wanted to get down to the new stuff, so it just trims down all the major canon events from the first series, strings them together with a dash of the actual manga storyline, then compressed them down into the first 14 episodes (or 13 to be exact, the first episode was pretty much a filler). Now the problem with doing that is that not only do you lose the viewers who aren't familiar with the first series, but you also wring out all the emotion from the story and characters and such. For example, the most critical event in the Elric brother's lives, the death of their mom, was simply passed as a narration. She is simply introduced in one scene, followed by a cut to the next scene showing the brothers sitting at her grave with Edward narrating the fact that she died. Without the emotional buildup that was present in the first series, it was impossible for the viewer to actually feel sorry for the Elrics with just that. Same thing with Hughes's death. They didn't really build up his character at all, so I didn't feel as much real emotional impact for his death as I did in the first series. Also, there was really no sense of tension or suspense in the entire anime as far as I recall.

It's a shame. This reboot really had a lot going for it, but although it was pretty (the fight scenes were amazing for the most part), it didn't reach it's full potential at all. Disappointing. Maybe if the anime wasn't trying so hard to catch up to the manga and had better direction/execution/planning, this would have been an amazing show.

3. CrashmanX

CrashmanX Well-Known Member

Wahhhh, Wahhhh. Anime didnt follow exactly, Wahhh. They didnt do as good of a job as I could have, Wahhhh..

Oh I'm sorry, did you say something else? Because thats all I heard. It sounds more like your bashing a series for a single thing, assuming the fans THEY ALREADY HAD knew the basics. Honestly I highly doubt this series was directed at anyone besides their already existing fanbase. This series was not directed towards a new audience of any sort. Your whole argument is based solely on the first 13/14 episodes, now that doesn't do you a whole lot of good when we're essentially talking about a sequel.

You might as well be comparing Hellsing Ultimate to Hellsing. Sure, they skip out on a lot, but thats because they assume the fans already know this stuff. They arent aiming it at a new audience. I suppose yet another example would be Evangelion 1.11 compared to the first part of Evangelion.

4. dee292

dee292 Well-Known Member

from all 5 seasons

5. CrashmanX

What did you think of Frontier? (Season 4) IMO its one of the best.

6. dee292

dee292 Well-Known Member

they say that the worst season of all

7. Yutrzenika

Yutrzenika Well-Known Member

Yeah, your sounding more like the troll more than anybody else.

8. yougotmail42

yougotmail42 Active Member

If such is the case, it's sad to see FMA become such a blatant cash cow franchise. I don't follow a series out of ignorant fanboyism; I watch it for actual quality work.

Anyway, the flaws of the first 14 episodes carries over throughout the whole series. The unmoving demise of Hughes and the lack of character development made Mustang's lust to avenge him felt off. Sure, logically, you can see it, but emotionally, there's really nothing there. You don't feel the same fury Mustang feels. Same thing with the Elric brother's relationship with their mother. Maybe it was because the first series brought her back as Sloth, but in Brotherhood, there was little to no emotional scarring for the Elrics from the loss of their mom. On other points, the entire character dynamic between Kimblee and Scar leads to nothing. They built up so much of the Scar vs Kimblee dynamic only to drop it out completely. Lust and Sloth play very small roles. The Xing characters, while important to the plot at times, are really nothing more than just that: plot devices, with them actually disappearing from the show entirely at some points, then reappearing in a deus ex machina fashion. What I really don't like is how Ed's character was reduced to be really whiny and screamy this time around, which I've seen lead to comparisons with Naruto.
    Probably my biggest problem with Brotherhood is that it's not as emotionally engaging as the first series. And I've went over that quite a bit already. Yes, the story was better and grander (epic is a word I hear many people overuse to describe it), but there was no real attachment to the characters.

Well whatever. I don't expect you to hear any of that either. A lot of people these days only hear what they want to hear.

9. CrashmanX

I will admit you do have some excellent point there and you obviously have taken you time on this. But the fact remains, this was never directed at a new audience. It was never meant for someone new just to hop on and go "AWESOME!" it was meant for long time or general fans. Once again I can make more similarities. This is like saying You watched Star Wars Episode 4 (A New Hope) without watching any of the prequels. Sure you get a lot of information, but you miss out on a lot as well. I suppose what it boils down to is that since its a series based on a manga, they expect you to read at least a little bit of the manga.

Also, congratulations. You've finally managed to read one of my posts while noticing my Avatar. However, you have read the wrong post. You assumed that I was trolling there when in fact I was not. Thanks for the effort though.
    Post Merge: [time]1278725922[/time]
    Lies, all of it. Season 3 was a crap fest IMO. Never cared for it, it felt like Imitate season 1. S4 (Frontier) was easily one of my favorites because it gave a new spin on things. Rather than relying on the skill or power of the digimon they were using, they had to actually be good themselves. They had to know how to fight and defend themselves.

10. Yutrzenika

I don't think I read the wrong post... Besides, your logic is irreparable. Enough of you.

Post Merge: [time]1278726667[/time]
    Yeah, if that's not being an arrogant prick, then I'm not sure what is.
    But as it I said, no point in arguing with a troll.

11. crazytuna

crazytuna Well-Known Member

ok we can all agree

Strike Witches > Full Metal Alchemist : Brotherhood

12. Yutrzenika

I just heard of Strike Witches today. It wouldn't bother me so much if the characters actually wore pants. But I heard it's pretty accurate to all the World War II history facts it presents.

13. alexong96

alexong96 Well-Known Member

Ouch.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

14. Yutrzenika

I can't really roll with either. I've never really cared for FMA in general, and Strike Witches, well, I haven't seen it. But if I had to pick one I'd go with FMA.

EDIT: I was about to check out episode 1 of Strike Witches, and then I saw the three prominent themes in the series "Ecchi, fanservice, Lolicon". Yeah, no. XD
    I usually don't mind Ecchi that much, unless there's tons of it all up in your face, but when I see it combined with "Fanservice", and "Lolicon" that's an instant no. :p

EDIT: I just watched about 7 episodes of Area 88. It's pretty awesome. It's about a bunch of mercenary fighter pilots in a civil war, along with a War Photographer there to get a perfect shot for his employer.

15. CrashmanX

Damn it, now I have to ask my friend to upload the pic from 4Chan.

"What do you think getting a foot job from a Strike Witch would be like?"
    "Stick your dick in a fan."

16. Rakgi

Rakgi Member

Last anime I finished was R.O.D tv, before that was Air and El Cazador De Bruja (loved the music)

17. Yutrzenika

Y'know, I might just have to check out Strike Witch... For the lulz of course, but it's starting to bug me. XD

18. p4tman

p4tman Guest

Just finished Kamen no Maid Guy, it was alright.

19. Yutrzenika

4 episodes away from finishing Area 88.
    EDIT: Scratch that, 3 episodes away.
    EDIT: I was wrong again. XD
    2 episodes left...

20. CrashmanX

This isnt your personal blog. Post here WHEN you finish an anime. You dont need to let us know before hand.