1. This forum is in read-only mode.

What Is and ISNT an rpg

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by tevak, Aug 9, 2009.

1. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

actually i got Dungeon and Dragon in mind....

2. hahahahaha

hahahahaha Well-Known Member

Soma Bringer. Phantasy Star 0. Just guessing, though.

3. tevak

tevak Well-Known Member

BREAKING NEWS
    forgot about this one. STOP
    Harvest moon, except for rune factory STOP
    Isn't STOP
    an STOP
    R P G STOP

4. tehuber1337

tehuber1337 Well-Known Member

We know. No one cares.

5. MadmanNero

MadmanNero Well-Known Member

I CARE!....Oh. No, no I don't. Sorry.

6. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Zelda-not rpg.

Castle vania-not rpg (despite level up methods)

Suer mario rpg-well...you all know XD

This could go on-however the easiest to define as rpg are the one's with turn based combat.

Hence-pokemon.

7. MadmanNero

MadmanNero Well-Known Member

What about Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood I call that an RPG...well actually an Action/RPG but that term seems to piss people off these days.

8. tevak

tevak Well-Known Member

Sonic Chronicles is, besides the skills a by the book RPG, I think.

9. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

You guys are thinking that a game can only have one type of genre.

Castlevania is an Adventure/RPG. As it has a level system and different types of weapons and magic that are in an RPG like fashion.

Zelda is mostly adventure but has an RPG quality with the items, the dungeons, and the story.

Games are allowed to have more than just one genre.

Although the term RPG is very ambiguous. Think about it, Role Playing Game. So basically any game with a story is an RPG. That's how the board games were, and translates into video games. There's no official gaming definition of an RPG, the definitions you guys are coming up with are merely personal opinions. Technically every game where you take control of a character is an RPG.

Doesn't matter what the genre of game you're playing doesn't even matter. You don't play differently if it's described as an RPG or shooter. You just play.

10. tevak

tevak Well-Known Member

Story is not an rpg quality. Gameplay is. Neither is dungeons. Items? Are you kidding me? Items differ with almost any game you can play.
    The term rpg is ambiguous, however in gaming & in this discussion it is a CRPG. (console role playing game) meaning any Video Game stapled with the rpg genre.

the playing, isn't the problem. It's the fact that zelda ain't an rpg. or any of the other ones cited by anyone else in this thread. simple as that.

11. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

This topic is basically filled with arguments when either some games are RPGs or not. Everyone's opinion of an RPG game is different. Because there is no official definition.

It's still ambiguous no matter which way you put it. My definition of a RPG is no less right than yours or anyone else. Until an official definition comes out, arguments like these will continue.

12. darky000

darky000 Well-Known Member

Unless you have read a book about Game Development with definition on each genre.

13. tehuber1337

If such a book exists, someone had to have written it. In that case, the same would apply.

Just because something's in a book, doesn't make it fact.

14. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

I was actually looking for a stone slab...
    I give you these 15...whoops!...10! 10 Commandments!

Really, if it is turn-based and NOT an RPG, then I'll be concerned.

15. tehuber1337

What about turn-based strategy games like Advance Wars?

16. darky000

It is a book because it is a fact. It's not a book about probability or statistics or any kind like that. The book was made for everyone to have a uniform knowledge of something that one wants to acquire. To avoid argument like these.

17. insanecrazy07

Are they going around calling it an RPG?
    Nope.
    Not concerned, because it's clearly Turn-based Strategy, not Turn-based RPG.
    They have absolutely no premise to call that an RPG.

You could make a similar argument for FE, but FE is much different, having levels, items, classes, anime characters that just talk all day, more talking, cutscene, back to talking, spend the next 30 minutes applying Bonus EXP, resorting the damn Convoy, etc.

The game's genre is always determined by what is most dominant if there is more than one particular genre. I'm pretty sure that last statement can stand.

Books can be misinterpreted, embellished, and all sorts of things. What's the title of the book? Not all books are factual.

18. tehuber1337

Point = missed

19. darky000

I've read it and it's main element to be called an RPG is "experience points". Tell me a game that has experience points and isn't an RPG.

That's why I don't believe in religion. They are made to control the people. :)

20. insanecrazy07

lol I'm tired. I don't know what I'm talking about anymore. I don't know what you're talking about anymore. I should just go to bed.
    I don't believe in religion because they still haven't proven shit.
    End of THAT discussion. lol :D
    I win.