1. This forum is in read-only mode.

What Is and ISNT an rpg

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by tevak, Aug 9, 2009.

1. asdzxc123789

asdzxc123789 Well-Known Member

But if we look at classic RPG elements (lvling up ,setting an inventory or so) we can say CoD 4 is a RPG ,but CoD 2 is not?

2. tevak

tevak Well-Known Member

I just said that leveling up isnt the ONLY one but the most fundamental one. I never said enyhting about gaining expierience, but crisis core is barely an rpg. And I said to check my previous post to see that I said that you also:
    Gain equipment
    Have stats

And things I cant remember.

3. Krusha

Krusha Well-Known Member

Just allow me for a sec

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    Zelda and Metroid have NEVER been RPGs (well, with the exception of Zelda 2)
    What even gave you such a ridiculous idea?

4. asdzxc123789

Lol i think zelda is a rpg :]

5. tevak

tevak Well-Known Member

Zelda is not nearly an rpg. And I know several people who think metroid prime hunters is their favorite ds rpg.
    Yeah, I know.

6. asdzxc123789

Means?

7. tevak

tevak Well-Known Member

What do you mean means? name eight rpg elemnts in zelda. and dont give any of that epic story or good characters bullcrap.

8. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

a RPG is a game where you create your own character, interact with NPC to get quest and raid dungeon to get treasure guarding by the dungeon boss.

but now days,

a RPG is a game where we play as a preset character that interact with NPC to learn the plot, beating up monster via random encounter to level up and get item and equipment to beat the final boss.

9. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

You have these mixed up.
    Your second description defines the older RPGs, where the newer ones don't have random encounter, have a weaker plot, and the whole create your own character/raid dungeons/l33t equipment all says WoW to me, which is way newer.

10. tevak

tevak Well-Known Member

That isnt an rpg. thats story stereotypes. some rpgs have no dungeons. and treasure? yeah right. It sounds like WoW to me too. both of them.

11. olliebot

olliebot Well-Known Member

WoW is defined as an MMORPG. So it's still an rpg.

To me an rpg is a game where you are constantly managing your character's stats and equipment and suchwhat. So MOST games with a leveling system to me is an rpg. of course this is all subjective. Some people view rpgs and what makes them differently.

12. timmy1991

timmy1991 Well-Known Member

I define an RPG as a game that is turned-based, you are in a party of 3-4 characters, random encounters, and the ability to level up...

In my opinion, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles is not an RPG, but an Action/Adventure game... It only meets 2 of the requirements of what I consider an RPG (the party and leveling), there are no random encounters, and you can attack as much as you want without waiting for your opponent...

Just my opinion, no one has to agree with me

13. asdzxc123789

Then this can solve it:

If game includes stats ,it contains genre of RPG.

Think about it.

14. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

So sports games that have stats are RPGs?

Try a new theory.

15. olliebot

I forgot about party members. It needs party members. And battles. Doesn't have to be random encounter or turn based but battles none the less. This makes sports games void from the rpg genre. XD

16. Krusha

Krusha Well-Known Member

Doesn't have to be turn based, you have real-time rpgs too

17. MadmanNero

MadmanNero Well-Known Member

Wow...I guess I retract my statement of how I think its redundant to argue over a genre of a game. Actually more responses than I expected. Almost like a debate without all the flames.

18. tevak

tevak Well-Known Member

The gist of this topic wasn't to debate what an rpg is. It was to decide what is and isn't one.
    just remember people..... Megaman Battle network/ starforce ARE NOT RPGS
    Zelda ISNT AN RPG.

19. olliebot

what an rpg is ties into the what is and isn't an rpg, if not the same thing.

20. tevak

tevak Well-Known Member

I suppose. just remember what i made the topic for...