1. This forum is in read-only mode.

What are your thoughts on: The ozone layer?

Discussion in 'Debates' started by kamage, Feb 14, 2008.

1. kamage

kamage Well-Known Member

Debate away! An old topic, new thoughts

My thought are that the Ozone layer is thinning, not because of the product we use, but because of age...Yeah I think that way! I think that the old age of the earth will eventually break the earth, just like glass...always breaks eventually. I also think that the products may be contributing, due to the fact of people using products inwhich their skin becaomes adapted to it, it will be more sensitive. All of these may be contributing, but the Ozone's layer thinning also reduces the overall effect of the Green house effect, since a thinner atmosphere is being kept, as well as more heat escaping into space. but eh problem is: Without the Ozone Layer, how would we be able to breathe?
    I for one, strongly believe it is a natural occurance, and will rebuild itself soon enough, uust look at pluto, sometimes it ahs an atmosphere, sometimes it doesn't our atmoshpere may wok like that someday...but Pluto's atmosphere appears when it is frozen. This is all part of a cycle, soon, we will die out, and insects will learn how to talk, breathe, and walk like us, and they will soon try and avoid our same fate... I'm not so sure about that, because that was a dream i had last night okay?

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Scientifically, we are naturally losing supplies of some gases because they are so light that gravity can't hold them in the atmosphere and so they escape. Helium is one such gas.

3. Tboi

Tboi Well-Known Member

I think we don't have to worry about it, what ever we do, we can't live without harming it.

4. 1Blacks1

1Blacks1 Well-Known Member

to me the ozone layer will crack, seconds after humans are sufficating to death at the same time when the ozone layer fully cacks open it will send wave pitchs so high/low that it will cut open time its self because the ozone layer will act as a knife. and since there is no time theres no balance so the universe will just crumble appart. thats my thery. to cut it short. when the ozone layer cracks it will trigger a chain of events that will end all existance

5. iamlegend

iamlegend Well-Known Member

The ozone layer can't....crack, so to speak....

That's a strange theory.....do you have any basis for it ?

6. 1Blacks1

OK. the ozone layer gets thin well i think of the ozone layer like glass. mystical nNoblegasses fused and formed nnatural its just how i see it rreally

7. iamlegend

Well your theory is already disproven, as, if i'm not mistaken, there is already a hole in the ozone layer

8. 1Blacks1

well. the ozone layer has a hole well. my question is how big is the hole? and how come the earths atomisers hasn't yet escaped into space? because if you open a rocket the atomisers inside the rocket will quickly escape

9. iamlegend

The ozone layer isn't holding everything in....
    It's just a layer of gases that protects us from the suns more harmful rays....

10. 1Blacks1

Well you cleared my theory :D yay

11. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

If I may....

There is no 'Hole' in the ozone layer. The ozone layer has a naturally weak spot above the antarctic. during a certian season when the polar vortex picks up, the lower stratospheric clouds are effected and this causes the so called 'hole' to worsten. I cant remember the complete specifics cause I did Ozone Science a while ago but this should clear it all up.

http://www.atmos-chem-phys.org/6/2837/2006/acp-6-2837-2006.pdf

12. kamage

kamage Well-Known Member

So, um Almo, can you simplify the answer...for those of us who can't understand it ;D

13. Solus

Solus Well-Known Member

The ozone layer is a layer of a certain gas right? So I hear that using cloroflorocarbon(CFC) products cause these 'holes' in the ozone. Im not sure the actual facts but I just think that maybe somehow it dilutes or disperse the ozone gases in the certain affected areas. Thats how those holes are formed.

14. Loonylion

CFCs react with the ozone layer to produce 'free radicals'' (atoms missing an electron, from memory) which sustain the reaction. The result is a massive chemical chain reaction, with ozone as one of the primary reagents, hence the ozone in that area becomes depleted.

15. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

pretty much on the money there loony.

CFC's react with ozone (O3) in a way which breaks it up into O2 and O. Essentially destroying the ozone layer. The biggest problem is that at the end of the reaction CFC's are reformed at end point so can continue to destroy mollucule after mollecule.

For those interested in the chemistry...

[​IMG]

16. ultra

ultra Guest

here is where the hole is :p ;D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:160658main2_OZONE_large_350.png

you see that chile and argentina are close to the hole. those living in it will be exposed to the suns deadly rays and develop skin disorders [cancer and the likes] faster then normal.

there is an arguement that the ozone layer will one day be gone. there is speculation that the earths poles [north and south] will switch places [north to south and vice versa]. when this occurs, there will be many changes that the earth will endure, one of which is the thinning of the ozone layer. but of course this idea and theory [switching of the poles] will and may not occur for hundreds of years from now. so by then we'll more then likely colonize mars or venus by then or live as mole people or have a technological solution to solve the problem.

17. Loonylion

since venus has no water and an atmosphere of mainly sulpher and carbon dioxide I doubt we'd live there.

18. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

Also yes the earths magnetic field will infact flip. It has happened many times before. The magnetic field at the moment is weakening, when it reaches a certian point it will flip completely.

19. ultra

ultra Guest

i'm sure we'll find a way for terraforming venus into a livable planet.
    if not, maybe jupiter. wasn't there a theory that jupiter had water underneath the surface of the planet??

20. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

Unsure but since mars has icecaps id say that would be the first place to consider.