1. This forum is in read-only mode.

What Anime/Manga are you Currently Watching/Reading?

Discussion in 'Anime, Manga & Cartoons' started by Yutrzenika, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Armed

Armed Well-Known Member

Reading History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi at the moment. Felt like reading a combined Tekken Chinmi and Eyeshield 21. ^^a

2. toffster92

toffster92 Well-Known Member

Currently reading Rave Master.

No special reason really, I just like it.

3. Rumiko

Rumiko Well-Known Member

Death Note IS the shiznit. Naruto really isn't anything special. Shippuden is a lot better though in my opinion.

4. yassine1

yassine1 Well-Known Member

Akiba Girls

5. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

OMG. I can't believe I actually waited 7 days after downloading Death Note to watch it. I'm on the 12th episode already. I should have started this when it finished downloading.

It's very similar to Code Geass (or Code Geass is very similar to Death Note), which I like.

6. Rumiko

Rumiko Well-Known Member

Yeah, it is. I noticed that too which is why I liked Code Geass so much (I watched it after Death Note). They're both amazing anime. I'm sure you'll love Death Note even more as the episodes go by.

7. Yutrzenika

Yutrzenika Well-Known Member

All caught up on Baka to Test II. Very funny series, I can't wait for more episodes.

8. insanecrazy07

Finished, and awesome. I'm thinking I like Code Geass more, but not too much more. Misa Amane is the sole reason why I think Code Geass is slightly better...

Looks like I'm watching Naruto until I find something else. 220 episodes will bide my time to find another.

9. toffster92

Try "The World God Only Knows." It's a great series if you like high levels of comedy, non-stop fun and just the right amount of romance.

Also,try these anime with two distinct variations on the "zombie" theme.

High School of the Dead
    Kore Wa Zombie Desu Ka?

The first one involves an actual zombie apocalypse in real life japan. Hence, no powers, no special tricks, just regular high school kids trying to survive. (Also, LOTS and LOTS of fanservice)

The second one is more of a comedy/romance/action anime - in that order. I can't really say anything about the plot since it's a relatively unique one (at least by my experience) needless to say it involves scenes where the guy undergoes a mahou shoujou (magical girl) transformation - not unlike sailor moon - and has a costume like this:

[​IMG]

Hilarity ensues

10. Rumiko

Rumiko Well-Known Member

Yeah, I actually just finished Highschool of the Dead. I mean it's OK. The plot is really weak, but there's lots of bloody zombie action and great visuals so that's a plus. You may be interested in it, just because it's entertaining to watch. Though I warn you, some of the voice acting is very weak and the fan service is ridiculous...Though it's only 12 episodes and it's in english dub so you may want to watch it first. And insanecrazy07, if you need any more recommendations, feel free to ask me ^^

11. toffster92

If you plan on watching HOTD, go for subs. As what Rumiko and I can attest to, the dubs are HORRIBLE.

12. insanecrazy07

Started The World God Only Knows.
    I actually had to go to 2 sources to get both seasons. Damn uploader can't even standardize his own uploads.

Oh well, I have them now.
    Give me about a week and I'll be done with this, and then I'll be back. lol

And I wish my PSP had a pull out keyboard...along with games to actually use it.

Also, I just found this on the Code Geass photos on facebook.
    [​IMG]
    Despite the spelling error, I thought it was pretty cool, and it seems someone else noticed the similarity between the two shows.

13. Yutrzenika

Yutrzenika Well-Known Member

The fan service killed it for me. I was able to tolerate it for something like 6 episodes, but I just honestly could not stand it after awhile. Apparently the dude who created HotD did a lot of hentai previously.

14. Rumiko

Rumiko Well-Known Member

@Insanecrazy: How is that anime anyway? I heard it was supposed to be funny. Also, that picture is AMAZING. *Saving...*

@Yutrzenika: I KNOW >.< It was totally overboard. You can only tolerate it for so long. Otherwise, it's like watching Hentai, except the characters have their clothes on...

Anyway, I'm currently watching Ouran Highschool Host Academy (Comedy, Parody, School, Shoujo) and Bleach (Action, Comedy, Shounen, Super Power, Supernatural). Ouran is actually really good. I'm on episode 7 now and I really like it. It's funny and the characters are awesome (Mori is the cutest!) The dubbed voice acting is great and if you want to watch it in higher quality, the entire series is available on Youtube (Funimation's channel). I usually watch those drama-action anime, so it's nice to take a break from them.

Bleach...Well, so far it's interesting. I'm only on episode 4 so I'm slowly getting in to it. But I can say it's pretty good for a shounen-super power...

Also, I'm reading Naruto. From the beginning. I'm on book 3 right now. Sure love Naruto. Brings back memories...

15. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member

Stop watching after Soul Society, it's better that way.

16. Rumiko

Rumiko Well-Known Member

Why, are those fillers?

17. insanecrazy07

@Rumiko,
    Compared to Code Geass and Death Note, this is by far classed third from those three, but still good.

The premise is still the same, high school student obtains some otherworldly power, and uses it per the contract. The person who holds this power is very smart, cold, calculated, and cares little for others.

Unfortunately, conflicts arise and are solved within the same episode or sometimes 2 episodes. It reminds me of the same structure as House, M.D.

There's really no deep involvement with any of the supporting characters. Once they've debuted, and their problem is solved, you really don't hear from them again. The characters in general are very static, unlike the characters from both Death Note and Code Geass.

There's also no best friend/worst enemy conflict like L was with Light, and Suzaku with Lelouch.

The overall feel of the anime is much lighter than Code Geass and Death Note, which is nice for a change of pace.

In a few words, The World God Only Knows is much less complex than the other two.

Oh, and I'm almost through the first season.

18. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member

Bleach takes a massive dip in story quality soon after the end of that arc. Some of the fillers are actually pretty good though, you should check out the Zanpakuto Tales arc, and I read that the filler arc that's running currently is pretty good, but if Kubo is writing something post-SS it's generally garbage.

19. Rumiko

Rumiko Well-Known Member

(Looks like we've revived this topic a bit)

@insanecrazy07: Thanks. I'll definitely take a look at it. EDIT: I read the first few pages of the manga:

[​IMG]LOL
    I can see that it's already pretty funny. I know what I'm watching after Ouran... ^^

@Devon-chan: Alrighty then. Thanks, but I'll probably continue watching it anyway. Just so I don't miss out on anything. I'd rather not skip an entire ARC, y'know what I mean. If anything, I'll at least read the manga to get through it faster if it IS that "bad."

20. toffster92

Okay, a conundrum.

I absolutely LOVE "The World God Only Knows" anime. I'm waiting on tenterhooks for season three.
    The problem I have is, should I read the manga in the meantime? I'm apprehensive about doing that since I know it will spoil the anime for me, but at the same time, I want to see what happens next in the story.

What do I do?