1. This forum is in read-only mode.

We need new consoles.

Discussion in 'Debates' started by usernameladiesman217, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Void

Void Well-Known Member

You'll notice that this happens every several years. This is why God invented desktop computers.

Yeah I went there.

2. drybones41

drybones41 Well-Known Member

Currently the consoles today are doing pretty well. A new console would be nice however would it really be worth the money? An xbox 360 and a ps3 goes from £180-£250 in my area, a nintendo wii goes for £90-£120 aswell.

In my opinion new consoles aren't really needed right now, maybe in a few years then yes we need new ones. Computers in a couple of years would've gotten better though...

3. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

Huh

4. shredc0re

shredc0re Guest

I think he means that in a couple of years, the computers would have gotten alot better than consoles?

5. drybones41

drybones41 Well-Known Member

Something like that. What i meant is that computers today are better than consoles. They're just more powerful. In a few years when new consoles are released computers would've gotten better. Probably not by much however improvement is improvement.

Consoles are great, no need to upgrade parts to play the latest games. Computers are also great however to play the latest games you might need to upgrade the computer if it doesn't run it or it runs it with poor performance.

6. alexong96

alexong96 Well-Known Member

When the PS3 was released, it came with a thing called "OtherOS", which could launch Linux. You could say that they decided to sell it as a multimedia platform rather than just a simple gaming console. They decided to remove it to "Prevent Piracy". Guess what happened. A lot more users decided to join the PS3 scene.

7. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

we have otheros back now. And with a lot more functionality than sony ever gave it.

8. lewis9191

lewis9191 Well-Known Member

or they actually started making games

9. Loonylion

10. alexong96

alexong96 Well-Known Member

Really? When? Hack or FW?
    Great games were made even when the OtherOS was still intact. Sony isn't really concentrating on OtherOS, fyi. Users get to customize on what OS they would use.

11. Loonylion

custom firmware called otheros++, its capable of unlocking the reserved SPUs and has an RSX driver in the works.

12. esnym

esnym Member

Ghost trick, anyone?
    It's a perfect example of innovative gameplay, interesting storyline, and non-3DomgHD graphics. in my opinion, more games like that should exist. We don't need a new console. We need more games like ghost trick, chrono trigger, 999....

13. athemoe

athemoe Well-Known Member

Ghost Trick and 999 aren't on Consoles.

14. esnym

esnym Member

Okay, my bad. XD but theoretically, the principle remains the same. Gameplay over graphics. Chrono trigger has outdated(yet still appealing) graphics, and a huge fanbase. Not just the original players, but people who played updated versions. Theyre's a reason why games like that are successful. Ghost trick and 999 may not be console games, but with some adjustments could probably still work as such.

Graphics DO have significance in gaming for visual appeal, but what is wrong with attractive 2d art? What is wrong with the graphics we have on xbox and ps3 right now? While a more powerful engine wiuld probably allow games on a hypothetical PS4 look as good as they do in ps3 trailers or cutscenes, such an improvement wiuld likely push people to abandon gameplay and innovation for shiny 3d, and we've had enough of that in the recent years.

15. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

I like a psyduck as the new name for the ps4.

(well you did say to think whatever i'd like to eh?)

16. athemoe

athemoe Well-Known Member

Better consoles are not only necessary to improve graphics, but also gameplay.
    I really want 128v128 bf4 maps.

17. BornToTease

BornToTease Member

When a new console comes out it is a rather tad expensive and have a lot of issues, bugs, etc. I let the rich kids try it out first.

18. nate98360

nate98360 Member

I just got an xbox 360 for xmas and i think its amazing. Microsoft is gonna release like 20+ games soon , and i would love that the xbox stays for good.