1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Vtech's Vsmile: Isn't this worth emulating?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cahos Rahne Veloza, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

I'm not really sure where to post this so I decided to post this here.

A thought just popped in my head yesterday as I was strolling on the mall as I passed by the toy depeartment. I see this Vtech Vsmile product
    [​IMG]
    being demo'ed & thought, "Hey this seems to be like a console & it even has its own gamepak system, so how come there seems to be no news of this being emulated?"

I did a quick google search for "Vtech Vsmile" emulation or emulator & only found a board where some folks were talking if such an emulator or emulation project was under work, but I had no luck finding one.

Yeah I know every Vsmile cartridge is spewing with fun boring educational goodness lameness, but still it might count as part of a ROM collection, won't it?

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

if there is an emulator, if there is hardware to dump the cartridges, and if there is a demand, then yes. I doubt any of those criteria are fulfiled.

3. Cahos Rahne Veloza

The demmand bit seems to be the major problem or issue here then since the product seems to be still not considered as a serious console. After all, most of the games or software for this thing is aimed at pre schoolers or the early grades audience. Plus parents who are themselves gamers seem to disregard the toy.

As for the emulation & ROM dumping issue, I bet if the thing was taken seriously the guys who are at the fore front of the emulation stream can find ways to solve this.

It was just a thought though.

Same goes for those plug in the TV & play toys from Jakks Pacific :-\

4. grimsim1

grimsim1 Well-Known Member

There definitely won't be much demand as I doubt many pre schoolers actually play emulators (can you imagine a pre schooler trying to install plug ins for ePSXe). I suppose if you would like to have a collection it is okay to have this, but other than that, why would you really want this??

5. Cahos Rahne Veloza

It could be useful if you're a parent with 3 to 4 year old children & want to introduce them to videogaming early in life but don't want to expose them to violent games & don't want to chuck money out the window for a lame console-ish toy & have a PC at home. The fact that most of the games for the Vsmile are certified "kid friendly" is what's interesting about this toy.

6. grimsim1

grimsim1 Well-Known Member

Oh of course. That makes sense. I didn't realise you were a parent Cahos. Congrats :) I can see why that would be useful then. But again, the sad part is that most people that use emulation are of an older age and don't have children (this is just a wild assumption and not based on any statistics). But for someone like you it would be useful. Maybe there are others like it though? And if the product is japanese, perhaps someone from Japan has emulated it. It's a possibility...

7. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Well I'm not a parent yet, but my cousins' kids (wait, what do you call your cousins kids? Better yet, what should they call you?) often gets dropped off here & I get the gitters when they insist on playing with my SNES or "classic" PSOne (the big grey model with the gameshark port on the back, which is also the reason why I can't ever sell it because it's a rarity now) because they're olready out of their prime & I don't want them starting playing games that are of a violent form, Resident Evil, Parasite Eve, Legacy of Kain, you get the picture?

8. Reider

Reider Modereider

Second cousin. The "second" part is usually dropped though.

9. cjdogger

cjdogger Guest

I doubt a 3 year old would know how to use an emulator on a computer and I doubt parents are going to download illegal files off the internet for something as rubbish as this

10. Cahos Rahne Veloza

If a three year old can play Pokemon on a GBC, GBA or DS then playing on an emulator on a PC isn't that hard.

About parents NOT downloading illegal stuff off the net.... Poppy cock & Hoo dashery!

11. cjdogger

cjdogger Guest

Not for little kids

12. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Read on my skeptic friend:

https://www.romulation.org/forum/index.php/topic,9261.0.html

13. cjdogger

cjdogger Guest

Why? I'm talking about illegal games, when I was 3 I got hold of some games before

14. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

You'd be surprised how many parents write us that their "little girls (or boys, but mostly it's girls) love them now and that they're very grateful"

15. Cahos Rahne Veloza

I know it's a bit wrong to say this, but people nowadays are just being practical.

16. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Looks pretty kiddy. And I've never heard of it, so there's your answer.

17. macron536

macron536 New Member

MESS can run some Vsmile games i will test some

18. macron536

macron536 New Member

Ok here are some vsmile games that im going to test
    Noddy Detictive for a day
    Wow Wow Wubzy
    Thomas and friends working together probly going to test last because my brother hes a bother and
    Ni Hao kailan happy chinese new year
    thats it