1. This forum is in read-only mode.

visualnovels not quite working.

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by xkoolguy90x, Jun 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

There are .novel files for direct download there:
    http://digital-haze.net/vnds.php

You need to download them and put them in the Novels folder.

Like this one:
    http://digital-haze.net/files/vnds/novels/narcissu/narcissu-r5.novel

See, ".novel"

2. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

If you're sure you have a clean novel file that should work properly with FAT in VNDS, have you considered DLDI patching?

3. TirithRR

He can't seem to find any .novel files, that's his problem :)

4. anandjones

DLDI patches problems that exist within the libfat library with compatibilities with firmware. Which leads to problems for searching manually for files within a card etc.

:) :) :)

5. Fredbox

Fredbox Well-Known Member

TirithRR means he can't find a .novel file on the website to download. I'm glad I'm not the one somehow creating magical downloads from thin air. It is just xkoolguy90x somehow missing them.

6. anandjones

I was answering his edited post, when he got the error about 'no novel file found'. Although it seems he's confused anyway.

7. xkoolguy90x

xkoolguy90x Well-Known Member

this is what i got from narcissu file tirithRR posted. see, theres no .novel file in it. either its being removed automatically for whatever reason or i dont know. its all coming up with no avail.
    http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n31/xmysticx_01/Untitled4.jpg

8. TirithRR

Why did you save it as a zip file? Save it as the original file name.

narcissu-r5.novel

http://digital-haze.net/files/vnds/novels/narcissu/narcissu-r5.novel

That is the whole novel file. You are opening the novel file with your zip program. Just put narcissu-r5.novel into your novel folder, don't try to open it with winzip or anything.

9. xkoolguy90x

why didnt any of you just say it in the first place? you shouldve said to not use winrar and just download right into the novel folder. ill go check it now. once i click on the link, it automatically is a zip file. dont know why

10. TirithRR

Except I did say that, pretty much exactly ;)

See, I even linked directly to the .novel file and told you to put it directly into your novel folder.

Should I tell you not to try and burn it to a CD either? :)

11. xkoolguy90x

thing is that once i click on the link, it ses its a zipped file. zipped files need to be opened. and apparently once i open it, its screwed. anything else to try?

if you want ill make an image of that too.

12. TirithRR

Just because a file can be opened with WinRAR/WinZIP, etc, does not mean it should be or even has to be.

You can open up BIN and ISO image files with WinZIP and extract the contents, doesn't mean you should.

Rename the file to a .novel file and use it, you probably have some screwy file associations because you tried to open the .novel file before and just let Windows choose what ever program it thought it needed.

13. xkoolguy90x

wont the file remain the same even if the name changes?

and thats vista for you. it sucks and i hate it
    http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n31/xmysticx_01/Untitled5.jpg

14. TirithRR

If you rename the file, including the file type, it will change the file type.

Also, you should upgrade to Firefox.

15. xkoolguy90x

for now im looking how to change the file type because it wont let me. it ses i can open differently but the only option is winrar or internet explorer.

and all sites i find are how to change file types TO a zip file. i need the opposite. vista is very different and all the things written are for xp computers, not vista. i hate vista so much

16. TirithRR

Just rename the whole file.

Intead of .rar write .novel

[​IMG]

See that? Instead of renaming everything before the .txt, rename the txt as well.

XP and Vista are not that different, the basics of Windows are still there. Including renaming files, etc.

17. xkoolguy90x

works now. i probably had to do something with the organize button. it said for hide folders or something like that with a box checked. played with the options on the folder and it apparently allowed me to rename the whole thing. i did rename it before but it didnt change the .zip but now it let me. playing with options and doing what vista probably doesnt want to seems to be the only solution. thanks for the help. hopefully i didnt leave anyone almost breaking their screeens or keyboards. if you did, well, blame vista. blame gates for making upgrades that are uneeded and pointless.

18. TirithRR

Well, I won't go much further, but I'm just going to say that Vista isn't to blame ;)

And use Firefox.

19. xkoolguy90x

what about the +sound? is that also a .novel or something else?

20. Fredbox

Fredbox Well-Known Member

I'm slightly apprehensive about telling you how to do anything else, in case it confuses you even more, but I'll give it a go. You need to delete the .novel file you already downloaded. Then click the +sound link next to the novel you want. Do not open it with winrar or anything like that. If it's not a .novel file, rename it so it is, and put it into the novels folder. It contains the novel with the sound aswell. But be warned, the sound makes the files pretty big, so it'll fill up your microSD quite a bit.
    And when you say
    What the hell do you think this means?!
    And this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.