1. This forum is in read-only mode.

VisualBoyAdvance development IS Still Active!?

Discussion in 'Emulation News' started by Cahos Rahne Veloza, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Out of a whim recently, I re-visited VBA'S home website:

http://vba.ngemu.com/

And lo & behold I find out that the main site has finally accepted VBA-M as the spiritual successor to the original Author's final version of the emulator which was version 1.8 beta 3. I've heard of VBA-M from anandjones back in 2008, but back then it was an independent "spin off" (for lack of a better term) version based on a previous version of the original emulator which was version 1.72.

Back then VBA-M was but a variant along with two others VBA-L (which had link support) & VBA-S which I have no idea what it offered.

But, it seems ngemu finally chose VBA-M as the rightful successor & it is upto date, albeit the last version released was back in December 2009 (read the news headlines on the link).

I haven't tried this "new" version of VBA-M yet, as after I downloaded the archive, extracted it & tried running it for the first time I encountered an error saying that the emulator was looking for a d3dx9_42.dll (or something along that lines). A quick Google search helped me realize that it was a component of DirectX that I seem to do not have.

My OS is XP SP3 so my version of DirectX is up to 9.0c only.

I want to try updating it to either DirectX 10 or 11, but I found a post on some other forum stating that DirectX 10 &/or 11 are not compatible for XP users as those were meant for Vista & Windows 7 users.

I did found a recent downloadable "update" file on Microsoft's Windows Downloads site which was released last month, but I am reluctant to try it as it might eff up my system, according to the part of the information page about it saying that the update is permanent & non-removable unless a restore point was made prior to application.

So, though my "news" report may be lacking in information that'll make you go "Oooohhh KEWL!" I leave to any of you whose interests I might have piqued to try out this latest version & tell us of any new & awesome features this version has to offer.

Again my sincerest of apologies if I left you hanging by the edge of a cliff LOL!

2. dracky w

dracky w Well-Known Member

I think they are making 64-bit version(as to why is anybodies guess) the most stable version for GBA is still VBA Link 1.7.3 and it runs 100% on anything Pentium 2 an up

3. MR4Y

MR4Y Well-Known Member

The most amazing experience for me was baing able to run GBC games at full speed with a DOS emulator, on a old Pentium 75 pc, XD

4. Jonez001

Jonez001 Well-Known Member

Yes, and they are porting it to the Wii also! nice huh?
    Only with the numbers for the versions ... I found that weird!

5. M.AzaryPika3172

M.AzaryPika3172 Well-Known Member

I loves VBA so must since version 1.72. Also loves VBA Link for multiplayer gamer likes pokemon. About VBA-S, the real name is VBA-SDL-H which debugging version of VBA. There another two called VBA-H for hacking features and VBA Rerecording for recording movies and videos plus more memory search function.

6. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Has anyone tried this latest version of VBA-M yet?

I really want to know if it has resolved issues with a few GBA & GBC games in my library:

1. Hamtaro Ham Hams Unite! - In VBA 1.72 & 1.8B3 this game suffers from severe graphical distortion especially when you go into the Ham chat window.

2. Lufia: The Legend returns - in 1.72 & 1.8b3 this game suffers from severe emulation lag when you're walking in towns & caves.

3. Ballistic! - This game has flickering sprites on 1.72 & 1.8b3.

4. Petz Vetz - in 1.72, the dialog & menu text shows normally, in 1.8b3 they're not there. You'd hear the text being printed but you see nothing on screen.

And several other GBC games suffering from graphical glitching on different elements (sprites & menu screen glitching).

7. brostav

brostav New Member

i am downloading it atm... and ill give it a go and let you know!

8. No, the DirectX update doesn't eff up your system. I did it for NullDC and Dolphin.