1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Video games kill concentration?

Discussion in 'General News' started by mds64, Nov 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/lifestyle/technology/long-playing-video-gamers-lose-concentration-on-other-tasks-iowa-state-university-study-finds/story-e6frfhj6-1225790177489

I was looking for a topic about sleep disorders and I found this...

All I can say is, I expected eye troubles (mine has been twitching non-stop) but not this...

But it makes sence why I jump around here sooo much XD

Thoughts?

2. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

Oh please, I highly doubt you have as much trouble concentrating as you think you do.

As for the study, I don't think it's as severe as you make it out to be.

3. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

You'd be surprised, but only a teacher who know's me would understand.

Ethier that or I'm still hyperactive from age 2!

It might be a short attention span though, otherwise I'd bother to study with IT and get a proper job...

(I was expecting thoughts on the mater :( )

4. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

how long do you play games for per week?

i don't play 40 hours, but a good amount of time.......i just have trouble concentrating on something that i don't really want to do.........like economics!!!.....(i'm gonna have to retake that class....)

the people who are the test subjects are only a small percentage of people who play video games. and what if these people that they tested have always had trouble concentrating on what they were doing even before they started playing video games for 40+ hours per week?

that is why you cannot rely on one research team or article.....this is why there must be multiple research teams from all over the world and from different areas of expertise and not divided about if video games are the devil or not.

they could have been biased as well and chosen people who had low concentration levels who just happened to play lots of video games?

5. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Before I became a regular around here..let's see...

5 hours a day on week days...

10 on weekends...

45 hours?

These days I'm with my laptop, hanging here...less game time really.

6. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

that's what i've been doing more lately too.

7. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I really dont think this is such a big deal. Scientists often try to find reasons that video games are bad (because they're told to by people with a vested interest).

8. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

It's funny, I got the laptop, loaded with games, ps2, gamecube, many emulators, as well as a psp, and every nintendo pocket console...and I hardly play now...

I played more when they were outside my room XD

I suppose, I suspected that much...but it kinda makes parents think "so that is why my son is failing school" and makes them want to believe.

Funny how the odd "good" news comes out XD

9. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

Yeah! it's a netbook and i put a load of emulators from NES up to Gamecube!!

though it won't play gamecube games and runs DS games pretty well!!

10. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Same here,cause my laptop wasn't designed for games...despite having the power to run resident evil 5-a bit weaker than reccomended spec but it works with everything off...

Man we are getting off topic-attion span on decline...

I'll be on spam if you wish to discuss.

11. phscarface

phscarface Well-Known Member

People that don't like video games say that shit just for you to stop playing.They put on your mind that video games are bad for concentration.They don't know, but video games are a good inteligence stimulator.For example, When I've played a world war II game, i did good in a history test.You can learn everythin' when playing video games.I play 4 hours in a day and nothin' bad happened, and if somethin' will hapen, it'll not gonna be because i've played video game.They say that if you look to muchin a monitor you gonna gettin blind, i say: that's bullshit, my grandpa and grandma use glasses and never played a video game in their life.I say playing video games don't fuck your performance, it can turn it better.So, play games dudes and don't be afraid of any shit they say.Just let what they say come in a ear and come out in hte other ear.

12. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

It depends on if you study or have good intelligence...

And by your logic...I can learn everything about world war 2 by just playing stuff like medal of honour?

I think not.

I agree with you EXCEPT that point, I had a so-called mate who reckoned he knew everything about cars...all from gran turismo.

Bull$***!

I made him listen to my farther-no option menu's in real life, there are many factor's gran turismo can't terach you, it just get's close...

Even edu-tainment teaches NOHTING.

Sorry dude but that point ain't right, games, no matter how close to being accurate, don't teach you, in my opinion they can make you catch a glimpse of something, tell a small story, make you laugh, and a grea time waster..but to learn from a game...

Your doing it wrong.

13. tehuber1337

tehuber1337 Well-Known Member

Short attention spans are not solely caused by games. People just become used to the whole instant gratification thing; instant noodles, microwaves, fast internet, fast cars... Whatever they want, they can get quickly. Younger people, who are more likely to play video games, have grown up in such environments and take instant gratification for granted, which is what leads to shorter attention spans. It's the product of the very society we live in.

Video games can educate (or at least interest people in things), but they shouldn't be seen as replacements for traditional means of education.

14. ggrroohh

ggrroohh Well-Known Member

Heh,your statement remind me of my friends.
    They know the chinese history from playing Dynasty Warriors XD
    Don't this kind of stuff apply to almost everyting in general..?(The kill concentration part,I mean)

15. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

That makes alot more sence than the dam story I posted XD

I agree with this...partly because i get everything done for me and enjoy take away regulary XD

Oh yeah-got far too many of them as so-called friends :(

16. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

Video games kill concentration?

Bullshit, if any, it help build concentration, without concentration, gamer wont able to beat any game ever, since game like platformer, FPS, action RPG, puzzle game, racing game for example need concentration.

now attention spans is a differ thing..... because attention spans work with intrest, when people doing something thiey like, thier attention spans will be longer when compare to something that thier dont like.

17. Irili

Irili Active Member

I'm getting kind of sick of hearing people blame thier lack of attention on other things like ADD or playing video games or... whatever. Fact of the matter is, most of these people can put effort into concentrating on something unpleasant (like economics. I regularly go into a comotose like state in economics). Some people have real problems with their attention spans...but I find it hard to believe that so many people do.
    Are video games bad for you? No.
    Are video games in large doses (like 45 hours a week) bad for you? Yes.
    Why? Too much of ANYTHING is bad for you.

18. ax_colleen

ax_colleen Active Member

Video games don't kill concentration, it depends on the game.

For example, there is an addicting game you play 24/7, that means you forgot your concentration on the outside world, being a human and all.

But, there are video games that improves your concentration, like Brain Age, fun and convenient.

for all who hates video games, please don't generalize ALL video games as "BAD, KILLS YOU, EVIL, etc..." Lots of video games help elevate depression, gives imagination, anger-relief, and ideas.

Always look at things with positives and negatives, be wise, don't choose things that'll kill you.

Smoking are just stimulants(?), not really good for life.
    And bad drugs kill you, the positives are lies.
    And etc...

19. phscarface

phscarface Well-Known Member

can't learn aboult world war 2 by playing medal of honor, because this game don't help.But play call of duty and you'll see what i meam.Of course not all games help you, but some help with puzzles that make you use your head, others you can learn surviving,xsports and etc.For example I've learned english by playing videogames dude, and i play several hours and don't affect my job or education at school.

20. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

someone allegedly saved a life using first aid skills they learnt in battlefield 2042 or some other online FPS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.