1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Flashcart Help' started by archlvt, Jul 18, 2010.

1. LuckyTrouble77

LuckyTrouble77 Well-Known Member

Bowser's Inside Story is far superior to Partners in Time. I actually couldn't play the latter after playing Inside Story, as it just felt too primitive in comparison.

2. archlvt

archlvt Well-Known Member

I didn't like the combat at all. I mean I loved SMRPG and paper mario 1 and 2, (hated super paper mario), but the attacks were too gimmicky in partners in time. Knocking the shells back and forth was really tedious and annoying, even if I was doing well, and I didn't like the attack dodging, or the art style.

3. LuckyTrouble77

It goes back down to only two people in BIS (Inside Story), and the team attacks are far more manageable. The dodging is simple, the system is fun, and I think I would actually play through that game again. Most RPG's aren't fun enough for me to play through them a second time. After playing a good amount of Partner's in Time though, I really wasn't impressed at all.

4. archlvt

Well, in any case, it was a worthwhile sacrifice to lose BIS in order to stop my save files from being deleted, and who knows maybe a new firmware update will fix it, although I doubt it very much, I think the official firmware is pretty much finished with updates.

I haven't lost a single save file since using the official.

5. LuckyTrouble77

Your Acekard2i sounds like a complete dud. It sucks that you got one of the few bad ones.

6. archlvt

So you've heard of it happening to other people as well?

To be honest, I'm not upset about it at all anymore, knowing that my save files are indeed safe is enough for me. I mean, it's not like there's a big difference between akaio and official. They both use auto saves, they both run my emulators, they both play my games at the perfect frame rate, the only difference is BIS and the 0.5 extra seconds of loading times when booting the firmware and booting the games.

Considering what I paid for the acekard (like $28 for the acekard2i + 4gb sd + reader), I got my money's worth. Now, since you mentioned the idea of my acekard being faulty, I sure hope it doesn't get destroyed when I put the 1.4 update on it. But even if it does, it's like $13 or something for a new one.

And I actually had no idea that wifi worked on flash carts, or if it did, I thought I was going to have to do all this tweaking and whatnot to make it work. I'm astonished that it all worked perfect right out of the box, aside from the SD slot spring not working.

Just to be clear about upgrading though.... I'm supposed to download the upgrade, put it on the SD card (it should be a .NDS file iirc), turn the ds on, load the update as though it were a DS game, let it do the update. THEN, trade in my ds lite for the dsi xl, and then the acekard should work on the dsi xl. Right?

The way it was being described to me earlier sounded like I needed BOTH a DSi XL and a DS lite in the same room at the same time, which doesn't seem to be the case, and that's why I said it's not possible and gave up.

7. LuckyTrouble77

Well, every flash cart brand in existence makes faulty cards on accident. Acekards just tend to have more faulty than others. Not using third party firmware properly definitely screams that something went wrong.

It looks like updating in your lite and using it in your XL should work. I don't see why it wouldn't.

8. archlvt

You're saying I used akaio improperly? I don't see how that's possible. I download it, I drag it onto the sd card, I play it. What's to mess up?

9. LuckyTrouble77

No, I think your card is faulty because of how it reacts to a third party firmware. It shouldn't react that way at all. (Obviously :p)

10. archlvt

Oh you mean IT not using the third party firmware, not ME using third party firmware :p

Maybe when I get some more money coming in, I'll think about a supercard, cause I wouldn't mind playing ff6advance anyway. Hopefully the acekard will survive the transition though.

On a more positive note, it looks like the R button works for more than a few minutes now. I wasn't blowing on it properly. I was blowing into the button from 6 inches away, but blowing really hard. The first thing I read on google didn't mention putting my lips ON the system and forming a seal. lol. I still wanna upgrade now though, cause who knows when it'll crap out again, and maybe next time it wont respond to the blowing. Plus, my A button and Right D-pad button are losing their sensitivity.

I've had this DS for a good 3 years now and it's been through some heavy-duty usage, especially since I got my acekard, I only put this thing down to eat sleep and work. Heck, a lot of times I'm playing it WHILE I eat, and I bring it places I probably shouldnt >.>

Frankly, I'm surprised the battery hasn't died, I wouldn't be shocked if I hit that 500 charges limit already. But I guess that's why it doesn't last as long as it used to. At first I thought it was the acekards fault.

/meaningless jabber

11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Active Member

If you download the 1.4 firmware upgrade for acekard 2i, Use it on your ds lite, and then trade your ds lite for dsixl, The acekard 2i will work on the XL just fine.