1. This forum is in read-only mode.

[TUTORIAL] Guide to Enable WIFI Feature On DeSmuMe v.0.9.7

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Prectorian, Apr 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

Such issue isn't normal. Cause what is stated on page 1 is the normal steps already.

Try open your DeSmuMe folder, locate "desmume Configuration Settings.ini" Use Notepad to open it.
    Scroll down and find these;
    Code:
    [Firmware]
    UseExtFirmware=1
    FirmwareFile=C:\Users\Desktop\Game Emulators\DeSmume 0.9.7 WIFI Capable\firmware.bin
    BootFromFirmware=1
    favColor=10
    bMonth=xx
    bDay=xx
    Language=1
    nickName=xxxxx
    Message=
    [PathSettings]
    In the 'bMonth=' replace the xx with any 2 digits representing the month of your birthday [1-12]
    In the 'bDay=' replace the xx with any 2 digits representing the day of your birthday [1-31]
    In the 'nickName=' replace the xxxx with whatever username you want to use on your emulator

Remember to press SAVE. Do not press SAVE As, when you are done editting it. Hopefully it fix your problem.
    By the way, close your DeSmuMe emulator before doing the above method.

Edit:
    So you're using Save States, its ok, doesn't have any effect.
    Yes, I do mean that, maybe log out of the computer might solve it. But do the above first.
    Cause when earlier you said you ended up seeing the DeSmuMe screen go gray/black, that is normal
    as the next step should be just pressing FILE and Load any rom to play. But if it takes you back to
    the info input, that means the .ini file isn't saving properly. So just do the above steps by manually
    editting the .ini.

2. Nfsu231

Nfsu231 Active Member

My desmume config already looks like that; so thats fine. But I noticed back on the 1st page your C1 and C3 looks different to mine.
    In the firmware settings in desmume; there are two categories which arent mentioned in the information that the wifi is asking for: those are language and message. In my firmware lang and message is present but it is not present in the wifi detail information. But in your C1-C3; it looks like it asks you for your message. Do I have some outdated version of one of the following programs?

3. Prectorian

Ignore the input message, its not necessary to add anything to it.
    As for language, 'Language=1' means the interface is English.

I'm still using the SVN r3947 until this very minute. I don't use the newer versions. I like using the r3947 as so far I never bump into any problem connecting to WIFI. All the images you see in my topic are produced from that version.

Anyway if you see that its already has your info in the .ini file, then everything should have been set alright.

Anyway, its midnight in my place, got to go offline. Hope your issues are already resolved. As from hearing you had the info in the .ini as should be means its should be done.

4. Nfsu231

Nfsu231 Active Member

Im using the 4300; should i switch to the 3947?

Yea also, that was i meant; a save state; but before i said i didnt use them; i just used an in-game save.
    Regardless, i have just been re-openining the rom since i cant load.
    Also I tried the ini. again; didnt work.
    *just a side note: for the month and day in the ini. Do you have to write it as a 2 digit value even if its a single digit day in a month(for ex: writing 7 as 07?

Anyways, I am going to try to restart the computer entirely; see if that works.

5. Prectorian

No... if lets say your month of birth is May, just type in =5, same with the day of birth.
    Use SVN r3947. You'll find it better. Though some roms will require to be patched, but again its better by far in term of WIFI stability. However it does fall behind in term of speed. So if you want speed, just transfer between the 2 versions. Its ok to do so.

I've got to go now, post your question if there's more. But I'm sorry that I will have to answer them tomorrow. Bye.

6. Nfsu231

Nfsu231 Active Member

Ok, I have just restarted my comp. and it wont work still.
    I'll try 3947; maybe that will work.
    If it were to work, how would I be able to "transfer between the 2 versions"?

Edit:
    Ok, i have tried 3947; I was able to bypass the black screen this time and was able to start up my game.
    But now when I try to get a connection; like most of the people here, the connection bar is green for a few seconds and the connection is lost. I get the 52000 error. Also, do I need to enter the WEP key? Note: I just noticed whenever i try to test connection in the WFC; my actual internet connection on my laptop is lost. What does this mean?

1. Try replacing the firmware.dfc in the DeSmuMe folder with either one of this:
    a. Firmware.dfc Option 1 : Click Here Option 1
    b. Firmware.dfc Option 2 : Click Here Option 2

I tried both options; both are unreadable as firmware images.

2. If some of you are using VISTA or WIN 7;
    * Right Click on the DeSmuMe icon on your Desktop
    * Properties
    * Security
    * Edit Permission
    * Full Control

The full control option to allow is greyed out; i cant tick it.

3. You might want to attempt editing the DNS inside the WFC Setup config to : 4.2.2.2 4.2.2.3 4.2.2

Will this alter major changes? I mean will this change IP address or some major setting? Sorry for noobish question.

4. Go to Network Connection, manually changing the bridging from PPOE to PPOA (or the other way round)

Where can I change this? And like before, will this cause a major change to a setting?

5. You might want to attempt editing the IP inside WFC Setup to : 192.168.110 or changing the last 2 digit to
    any number in the "10" multiplication; eg. 192.168.120 ,etc.

Same questions for 3. and 4.

6. Locate in your Control Panel's Firewall, for any possibilities of a setting that might block the WinPcap (eg. disable
    SPI Firewall)

My windows firewall is already disabled due to norton. Ok, so I tried locating winpcap in my norton firewall; it doesnt recognize that program at all. Come to think of it, i recall there being something wrong with the installation of winpcap?If this is the problem, how do i fix it?

7. Make sure your LAN Connection is set as HOME Network, not work or public network.

I'm actually using a laptop wirelessly; is this the cause of the problem

9. Assign STATIC IP ADDRESS for routers that has both ethernet cable port and antena(WIFI anthena).

Same questions for 3. 4. and 5.

11. Make sure the WinPcap (rpcapd.exe) and DeSmuMe are in the exception list of your Firewall and Antivirus.

Gonna do this now

12. Try to clean up your network adapters. Uninstall/disable all the VPN software like Hamachi, Tunngle, VirtualBox, and VMWare
    Workstation, etc. and reboot your computer. You can also try to make your network adapter that is connected to the internet to the
    primary one. To do this, go to the list of your network adapters and press ALT then click "advanced" --> "advanced settings"
    highlight the adapter and put it to the top with the arrows.

I dont understand this step

7. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

These are private DNS servers that may not always be available, you shouldn't use them. Additionally the last one is an invalid address

don't EVER change this. Your internet connection requires the one it is set to, the other one will NOT work. PPPoA is only for countries that use ATM for the last mile, such as the UK. Most countries use PPPoE. If the setting is for a connection unrelated to your internet connection, it should probably be PPPoE.

These are not valid IP addresses, and changing IP addresses could break your internet connection unless you know what you are doing.

Norton is utter shite, get rid of it. It's well known for causing all kinds of problems and doesn't protect against a whole lot. Get kaspersky antivirus (cheap) and comodo firewall (free) instead.

Again, don't do this unless you have at least a vague idea of what you are doing. It's not necessary.

8. Nfsu231

Nfsu231 Active Member

Ok then that just leaves:

1. Try replacing the firmware.dfc in the DeSmuMe folder with either one of this:
    a. Firmware.dfc Option 1 : Click Here Option 1
    b. Firmware.dfc Option 2 : Click Here Option 2

I tried both options; both are unreadable as firmware images.

2. If some of you are using VISTA or WIN 7;
    * Right Click on the DeSmuMe icon on your Desktop
    * Properties
    * Security
    * Edit Permission
    * Full Control

The full control option to allow is greyed out; i cant tick it.

My windows firewall is already disabled due to norton. Ok, so I tried locating winpcap in my norton firewall; it doesnt recognize that program at all. Come to think of it, i recall there being something wrong with the installation of winpcap?If this is the problem, how do i fix it?

7. Make sure your LAN Connection is set as HOME Network, not work or public network.

I'm actually using a laptop wirelessly; is this the cause of the problem

11. Make sure the WinPcap (rpcapd.exe) and DeSmuMe are in the exception list of your Firewall and Antivirus.

Gonna do this now

12. Try to clean up your network adapters. Uninstall/disable all the VPN software like Hamachi, Tunngle, VirtualBox, and VMWare
    Workstation, etc. and reboot your computer. You can also try to make your network adapter that is connected to the internet to the
    primary one. To do this, go to the list of your network adapters and press ALT then click "advanced" --> "advanced settings"
    highlight the adapter and put it to the top with the arrows.

I dont understand this step.

Ill just wait for prectorians response on these left.

9. Seratonin

Seratonin New Member

Question, will they ever implement the WIFI feature for the mac version of desmume?

10. Nfsu231

Nfsu231 Active Member

Also to add to my last couple of posts:
    Should I use:
    Nvidia networking adapter drive or MS tunnel interface driver for the bridge network adapter?

I tried the atheros controller but it recognize that as a network adapter

11. Prectorian

You mentioned that you are on wireless? That won't do, my topic is for LAN CABLE CONNECTION, I clearly state that WIRELESS will not work. Try using Virtual Lan emulation program like Hamachi, someone mentioned it possible to emulate DeSmuMe WIFI via wireless to trick it into thinking its wired LAN. But I've never attempted doing so cause I don't have wireless router, mine is LAN cable router. So hard to say if its true or not, but to make it clear, the Dev team said its not possible however some says they got it working. Another thing, I still don't understand why you have to disable your firewall and antivirus. I've never stated anyone should disable it.

As for those trouble shooters, those are compiled from various sources sharing how they solved it, that includes from Lune's topic in another website. As for me? I've never needed to use those troubleshooters as what I have done to make it work is the same as what I've written on page 1.

Don't know, I'm not part of the Dev team. I'm just a user like you.

12. Nfsu231

Nfsu231 Active Member

hmm ok, anyways i have downloaded hamachi; would you be able to tell me in steps how to make it act like a wired lan? The other thread on wifi for wireless lan isnt all to clear in the steps.

Note: I have an internet cable plugged into my nearby PS3. If I were to plug that in right now into my laptop; would i be able to connect automatically?

Edit: ok, so I bridged hamachi and my local area connection, plugged in my internet cable and switched the bridge network adapter to hamachi and I still get the 52000 error. Im running out of ideas as to why my desmume wont connect to wifi.
    Im pretty sure it has nothing to do with the ip address; but what are DHCP settings? Maybe that could be the problem?

13. Prectorian

If you have LAN Cable connection, just plug it into your laptop LAN port directly, no need to use Hamachi (disable it) and it should work, but if you are on wireless, try using Hamachi. But again, I never use Hamachi. It was someone somewhere that said using vitualisation of the LAN connection using Hamachi work. But I don't know how as I never use such a program.

14. brandon222123

brandon222123 New Member

Hi I'm having the same error as a lot of people (52000) and I'm noticing that people that have the same problem can't find a solution anywhere.

The problem is that in the Wi-Fi settings of Desmume, the drop-down list of the Bridge Network Adapter has nothing.
    After I disabled my firewall and Norton anti-virus, I saw that I had 3 options (all called Microsoft) but all of them were completely useless

I know what my adapter is supposed to be (Marvell Yukon 88E8059 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller) because my Wired LAN connection is working, but the problem is that it isn't showing up on the list for me to choose.

The only light that's been shed on this issue is one person who said they fixed this by updating their chipset and drivers, and I tried doing that with no success either.
    If anyone can provide information to fix this problem (make my adapter visible on the Bridge Network Adapter list), please reply.
    Thanks

15. Jhon 591

Jhon 591 Well-Known Member

Poor Prectorian

[​IMG]

xd! ^

16. Nfsu231

Nfsu231 Active Member

@prectorian

Ive tried it already by disabling hamachi and simply using the internet cable, but i still get the 52000.
    I think the problem is the DHCP or the bridge netork adaptor.
    I think i need a ethernet controller like brandon but i already downloaded the atheros one but it doesnt show up either

17. venci19

venci19 New Member

i'm getting 52000 too,
    i'm on windows 8 disabled firewalls activated network sharing but my network is on private,i'm on a wired lan,i set up severals emulators with bioses/roms/firmwares from diffrent sites,tried to set up on my fr's but they get the same error,i set the confings like severals videos and forum tutorials reinstalled winpcap several times,do i need to bridge my connection somehow,idk

18. Nfsu231

Nfsu231 Active Member

Yea, I have done everything you said too; I guess we have the same problem

19. LSA2013

LSA2013 New Member

I'm having a problem too. I keep getting the 20104 error even after trying all the steps. I used the 3947 version of 0.9.7 and also tried this on 0.9.9 but nothing seems to work. I get SoftAP in the connection list, and then I test it. Near the end of the test, it loses all of the signal.

If it helps, I'm using Windows 7 and playing Soulsilver, using a wired connection.

20. Dn_Apantw

Dn_Apantw New Member

I'm using a wired connection ..

Post Merge: [time]1341949162[/time]
    I used an other version of Desmume .. 0.9.7 svn3947 wi-fi capable and get a 20104 ..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.