1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Too much coffee causes hallucinations ?

Discussion in 'General News' started by ClydeOne, Jan 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ClydeOne

ClydeOne Well-Known Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7827761.stm
    Still under research, but this is what's being said about people who drink seven or more cups of coffee. That's just plain weird if you ask me.

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I can see it being possible. Caffine is a stimulant drug after all.

3. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Well I'm sure normal people don't have 7 cups of coffee a day. One is enough.

4. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

I usually have 3 or 4.... maybe I should start drinking more.

5. ClydeOne

ClydeOne Well-Known Member

Well, they are still researching it. I can't wait to hear the results of that experiment. I don't even drink coffee, so I can't say I've experienced any of the so called symptoms of too much caffeine consumption.

6. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

well the only symptoms i face shortly after i drink 1 liter of coffee (yes you heard it right, 1 litter) is weakness on my feet and dizziness (much like fatigue when you over work your body)

7. rayquaza634

rayquaza634 New Member

The only thing coffee does to me is make me all tingly and just can't stay still.

8. Datanotfound

Datanotfound Well-Known Member

I love coffe, but I would never be able to drink 4 cups a day, let alone enough to cause hallucinations =/

9. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

I had 5 red bulls, 3 cans of V and 2 or 3 cups of coffee the other day, still no hallucinations :( lol

10. Datanotfound

Holy crap, I bet you havent slept since then =p

11. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

my body handles caffine really well, I can hardly feel it at all (I usually have a coffee before bed)

12. Datanotfound

I'm the exact opposite, my body has very bad reactions to caffeine, when I was younger my doctor had me lay off caffeine for several years because it was ripping up my lower GI.

I just started drinking soft drinks again last year...and ive been trying regular coffee over the last few months

going good so far =p

13. kanakacheek

kanakacheek Well-Known Member

Oh wow, isn't it dangerous to drink so much red bull?

My record so far is 3 cups of coffee, 1 red bull, 1 rockstar, caffeine gum (3 pieces), and caffeine pill. I felt so sick and couldn't concentrate and no hallucinations either.

14. Gietz

Gietz Well-Known Member

It isn't really dangerous unless you have that much in a very short space of time.

It basically all depends on your metabolic rate, like how fast you can digest or convert the food and drink into energy. Caffeine is good for energy, but for me I hardly feel the effects of caffeine. I eat quite a bit, so my metabolic rate is really high. The less you eat, say if you skip breakfast etc, your metabolic rate will drop, and then if you start eating lots more there is a good chance you won't actually convert it into energy as fast, and that can lead to weight gain. Kinda off topic, but whatever.

I don't really see how caffeine would cause hallucinations though.

Its all taken into your bloodstream really quickly after you ingest it, and then stimulates your nervous system

15. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Too much stimulation, your brain goes into overdrive and it's like dreaming while awake.

16. Gietz

Gietz Well-Known Member

Yeh, I figured your brain would have way to much stimulation, but caffeine wears off quite quickly, so you'd need to consume a lot, in a very short space of time

17. Void

Void Well-Known Member

Almost any stimulant in excess can cause hallucinations, so this isn't really surprising.

18. jc_106

jc_106 Well-Known Member

I know quite a bunch of people who have 8 cups of coffee per day, regularly.

I like coffee, only downside is I almost fall asleep when I drink a cup of coffee. :p Really bad if you ask me.

19. gary1068

gary1068 Guest

so caffine is a stimulant but it's NOT that strong or powerful enough to maske you start seeing things
    like those "Magic Mushrooms" people used to consume for a "Acid Trip". to answer the question that was posed for this forum "Is There A World Out There?" and the answer is yes ther is a wild crazy world out there. I drink about about 1/2 of a 64 ounce jar of instant coffee a day and i never get strung out from drinking that much.

20. equitypetey

equitypetey Well-Known Member

people still consume magic mushrooms! even tho they are now fully a class A drug in the uk now they are still easyily picked off the ground if you know what your looking for or grown in a propagator.

which brings me to my next point, they asked 200 uk uni students. here in the uk lots of people go to university for the "experience" that means sex drugs and rock n roll and the type of people to stop and do these tests are the people who are mindless on some sort of drug :D

the test probably went something like this

scientist: hey can you share a minute to do this questionnaire
    student: yeah sure man, whats it about
    scientist: coffee and its afects
    student: cool
    scientist: so how much coffee do you drink
    student: shit loads man i got to stay awake some how for my lectures
    scientist: have you ever experienced any odd effects on your body or mind lately
    student: yeah man, i've been tripping my nut and i keep hearing things

that ends the study but all it shows me is that his ears a screwed from loud music in clubs every night and the drink and drugs most nights is destroying his brain

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.