1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Thinking of buying a PSP, need help.*Resolved*

Discussion in 'Non-Emulation Help' started by GothiqueFTW, Jan 1, 2011.

1. GothiqueFTW

GothiqueFTW Well-Known Member

Re: Thinking of buying a PSP, need help.

Thanks a lot for all the answers, videos and tutorials.
    I was a little busy yesterday and just saw them now. It seems it's pretty easy and mostly risk free, I guess I'll get a PSP after all, I just have one more question.
    There was something that didn't allow you to shut down your PSP or you will have to re-hack it every time it was turned on, but I didn't quite get it. What was that??

2. meganova

meganova Well-Known Member

Its called chickHEN, which is used to allow CFW to be installed on PSP with 5.03 OFW,
    As well the TN-HEN for the PSP with 6.20 OFW.

3. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Basically a temp hack, if you got a pnadora battery you have no need for concern.

4. GothiqueFTW

Does that basically mean I can never turn off my PSP?
    Also Pandora doesn't work on newer models or so I heard.

5. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Correct, mostly the later 2000's (I got lucky, got an older one), 3000's and go's.

You can, it just means the hack must be re-done.

I hope you get a 3000 with the firmware on or below 6.20, it's easy to re start that hack, and except for running the n64 emulator, it's very stable :)

6. GothiqueFTW

I hope I get a 3000 too, I'm not a big fan of the go, and if the software is below 6.20, I'd be very lucky.

7. GothiqueFTW

Re: Thinking of buying a PSP, need help. *Some updates happened, read last post.*

I went and asked in a famous shop around where I live so I found a PSP 3004 with a firmware lower than 5.03, is that better??
    I know this one is hackable, but I wouldn't know how to update to only 5.03 or so on, more help please.
    Also how big is the bricking risk in this case?

8. meganova

Re: Thinking of buying a PSP, need help. *Some updates happened, read last post.*

Nope, as long the firmware is on 5.03 or lower, then you shouldn't have any issues with it.
    If the PSP firmware is lower than 5.03, you can just update it to 5.03 easily with the specific update file,
    and then download required files to run CFW on your PSP.

9. GothiqueFTW

Still I will not be able to turn it off. but that's not a problem. I might even buy it soon. What is the difference in 3004 anyway??

10. meganova

Yeah, just keep it in standby mode, and you shouldn't have to flash it all over again.

You mean the last number of the 300X?
    That's a region code, for example, 3004 is from Europe, whilst 3000 is from Japan.
    The hardware are still the same, but the buttons might differ though, for example 3000 'Yes' button is O, and 'No' button is X.

11. GothiqueFTW

Still worried about the brickage, also what ISO loader should I get to run newer games (like KH: Birth by Sleep)?

12. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

I recommend the Prometheus loader.

Also, don't completely power it off, just flick the power real quick, it puts it into like a powersave mode. :)

13. Duncan Idaho

Duncan Idaho Well-Known Member

uknown to me, its a recent PSP, but well ti the discovery of the keys im assuming every model will be customizable

14. meganova

The Prometheus addon should let you run any new games,
    e.g chickHEN -> GEN-C -> Prometheus 2/3(or 4)

15. GothiqueFTW

Thanks a lot for the help, Should I use Google for ISOs or is there a specific place?

16. meganova

One of the Romu affiliates host PSP games,
    but yeah, using Google is still recommended. ;)

17. GothiqueFTW

Thanks a lot ^_^

18. GothiqueFTW

Re: Thinking of buying a PSP, need help.*A new challenge appears :(*

I was looking at some electronics shop and found a PSP fat/phat . The salesman says it's better for modification, but I'm not sure if I want one. Should I go for it, it's still more pricey than the PSP 3000, which is weird to be honest.
    I know that this shop can do the modification for me. What should I do now?

19. meganova

Well, since the Phat model is not in production anymore, I'm not that surprised it will get pricey,
    but still it shouldn't get too pricey than the Brite model, at least at my place.

Its up to you, Phat can have permanent CFW than the Brite model, which is better. However, with 5.03 HEN that has been signed just recently,
    I'm sure it will perform as good as the permanent CFW.

20. GothiqueFTW

I was going to buy the PSP 3000 tomorrow and modify it at home
    I'm not really sure anymore, the fact that th shop will do the modification on the phat for me is pretty tempting.
    I think temporary CFW is safer, but I read that it took some people as much as 20 times to get the HEN running.