1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Thinking of buying a PSP, need help.*Resolved*

Discussion in 'Non-Emulation Help' started by GothiqueFTW, Jan 1, 2011.

1. GothiqueFTW

GothiqueFTW Well-Known Member

Dearest Romulation;
    In you I have found all the answers for the questions I seek and here I have one more.

As the title suggests I want to buy a PSP and of course since I use Romulation, I'm the kind of person that dabbles with modifications, playing game dumps and so on.

The only options I have are PSP-3000 and PSPGo, and of course I will need to do the modifications at home, the problem is I can't find a complete tutorial to help me through the process, I either find tutorials that assume you did another step first or outdated tutorials for PSP 2000.

Now for the questions How hackable are each of them? since all the info I find is about a year old.
    Did they find a way to run ISO or CSO on the PSPGo?
    How risky is it to perform the modification at home?
    How hard is it to un-brick the PSP if the modification fails?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

2. manaseater

manaseater Well-Known Member

Re: Thinking of buying a PSP, need help.

You can now run isos on a pspgo and a 300x. (as of this christmas)

Now is the time to buy, chances are they will start producing psps that have unhackable firmware very very soon like they always do.

Check out
    Starting point ( About two weeks behind the scene, so it doesnt entail the latest for pspgo and 300x running isos, see below)
    http://forums.psp-hacks.com/f133/the-hack-your-psp-mega-thread-t227349/

Iso loading on pspgo
    http://forums.psp-hacks.com/f133/video-tutorial-installing-6-20tn-a-and-using-t269872/

Downgrading anything without pandora
    http://forums.psp-hacks.com/f133/videotutorial-6-20-tn-b-how-to-downgrade-t270030/page8.html

the site i have given you is the latest and greatest (to my knowledge) and provides all the info you need if you browse around a bit (or for hours, you wont get bored)

Currently unbricking is impossible for your selection (go/3k) if you are careful and follow directions to the letter, you will have no issues.

Risk wise, im not sure, since i havent had any issues, (but im on a 1000 so im not sure), i can confidently say that 95% risk free, just follow directions carefully.

if you have more questions id be glad to direct you.

3. GothiqueFTW

Thanks a million for that thorough reply.
    If I could get an older one I would have.
    Now for the other users, one more question has been added, has anyone actually tried the new things?

4. meganova

meganova Well-Known Member

At past, 3000 can only be hacked(partially) if the firmware is 5.03 or lower through chickHEN, while GO can only run homebrew games through HBL,
    but since the new 6.20 TN HEN has been released, both models(with 5.03+) can now run emulators, as well install some applications.
    Plus, ISO Loader also has been released just after the few days TN was released, enabling the TN HEN to run ISO/CSO/Backup games.

Ah yes, they did, through the ISO Loader, which are OpenIdea ISO Loader, and Prometheus ISO Loader.
    Like any new applications, both are still unstable and have some compatibility issues.

If you have done the hacking by yourself before, then there should be less risky to do it.
    But, just follow the guides which has been confirmed working, and you should do just fine.

If you mean by unbricking 3000 or GO, it can't be done.

Although TN-B DOES offer a method to downgrade your firmware on 3000(GO is still unconfirmed), I highly suggest don't ever try to do it,
    as there are HIGHER chances your PSP get bricked, instead of getting the result you hoped for. Try getting 3000 with 5.03 firmware if you're going to buy it.

For the up-to-date tutorials, I suggest go to PSP sites, such as PSH, and Psp-Hacks.

5. GothiqueFTW

I guess I will wait a little and see how the new ISO loaders will work. I hope I can get a 3000, I like them better than the Go.
    I'm still a little worried about the hacking though, it would be my first time.

6. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Well, because it's a temp hack and not messing with the innards, it won't destroy it...unless you downgrade it.

I temp hacked mine, got the iso loaders working, the ONLY problem is if it is turned off is re-starting the whole hack, but that's a nusiance than a problem (though with the recent update to the hack, it'll be more stable :) )

7. meganova

Well, TN HEN is pretty much like chickHEN, but with different method.
    The next release of TN is going to take a while as TN-B is only a fix for 3000 with 4G motherboard, as well adding the downgrading feature.

8. mpc2007

mpc2007 Well-Known Member

i suggest you to buy 3DS than PSP......

9. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

And why would you suggest buying a new system where we can get a system that has been cracked, we can play free games and do all sorts of things that the 3ds cant yet.

And we might be able to.

Dumb suggestion dude, I'd suggest a ds but people like the power of a psp...especially when they are cheap.

10. GothiqueFTW

I'd appreciate your suggestion, except that I already have a DS and I like it a lot. I just wanted to add another handheld to my collection and the PSP seems like a good contestant, with all the hardcore games.

As for the 3DS I might get one, in 50 years.

11. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

I too have a ds, though I moved on...you can't beat n64 emulation on a psp :D

I'll end up trading my gran turismo psp 3000 towards a 3DS, I still got my proper hacked psp 2000 with custom shell (see thru black), which runs alot better (it's a stable firmware, I can shut it off without worry).

It was the power of the psp that ropped me in, not the hard core games.

12. GothiqueFTW

I'm still looking into the hacking videos and tutorials, it seems simple enough, I'm still a little uncertain.
    I think that the PSP and DS are two different handhelds that can't be compared all the time.

13. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

I didnt even see for a vid like when I did my 2000, I just rammed in the software, clicked around and went.

It's easy and safe, so dive right in.

14. GothiqueFTW

You guys make it sound like a piece of cake. Can you tell me about the games that work with this iso loaders?

15. meganova

The Prometheus ISO Loaders has higher compatibility, more stable compared to OpenIdea ISO Loader,
    and has been reported to be able to run some of the latest titles, including Ys Seven, Tekken 6, God of War, Dissidia etc,

16. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

So promethus iso loader works on the 3000 hacks now?

Well it is preety easy.

There is a pre-made pack on slim hacks (it's a psp hacking site), it has all you need.

Throw the patapon demo in the GAME folder, throw the hacked save data in the SAVE folder, and the hack loader files are already laid out, just copy and paste those into the allocated folders on the psp stick.

I say it's easy because there is no risk of destroying it :p

17. meganova

Yeah, any PSP with TN can run it.

18. mikeac

mikeac Well-Known Member

I've been out of the PSP hacking scene for a while, thanks a million everyone. I need to update my old guide gathering dust in the Tut section.

19. Duncan Idaho

Duncan Idaho Well-Known Member

umm one question is the special edition PSP of GTA hackable?

20. meganova

On which firmware was it? and which models?