1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Theory says this Universe is a hologram

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adnan1992, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

^ lol yeah just realized I interpreted your post wrong. See i read theres no such thing as an empty space, as in an area or whatever, not as in outer space :p

but yeah ive read plenty of interesting articles in the new scientist magazines, i love those things, makes you realize how much humans still don't understand :p

2. Void

Void Well-Known Member

Actually, space is constantly expanding. So there always is an 'end' to space. We don't know what's at the end, but (a lack of, possibly,) something is. :)

3. iamlegend

iamlegend Well-Known Member

I don't agree that there is an end.....
    space/the universe is everything.....
    just because it is expanding, doesn't mean there is something outside it....

4. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

^ how can something expand if it has no space to expand? From what ive gathered the Universe is just a term that is givin to space as a whole and everything within it. The universe is just a term and only has a meaning depending on what WE define it to be. Similar to an Ecosystem. An ecosystem has to be defined before it even exsits, and even then we have to draw a line and cut things out. Chances are there is no edge to the 'universe' just more 'space'

5. iamlegend

But we've already established there is no such thing as space.....space is composed entirely of matter...
    Therefore the universe is composed entirely of matter

If you want to argue that outside the universe is a vaccum...
    A vaccum is the absence of matter ie. nothing...

I don't know....I'm no scientist....this is just the way I see things

6. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

^either way its too much for the human mind to comprehend. Chances are we will never know.

7. jc_106

jc_106 Well-Known Member

i've been thinking. if the universe was a hologram, we'd be a hologram also, because we're in the universe.

8. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

lol yeah i guess thatd be true....

9. jc_106

jc_106 Well-Known Member

so, as we are not holograms, we can touch each other, we're tangible (i'm remembering another thread about philosophy), and the moon also exists and is tangible too, and people have already been in space, i don't think the universe is a hologram.

10. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

hmm I guess thats a conclusion. However since everything is made of matter we are all one in the same. Theory says that because the matter that we are made of vibrates and millions of times faster than the matter of say a table, that we should eaisily be able to split the matter of the table and push our hand through it if it were liquid. Plus its out mind which makes us register the things that we touch, its our mind which makes it real, and our minds are easily tricked (motion sickness is a form)which makes you think, are people really real? or does out mind make them real?

11. jc_106

jc_106 Well-Known Member

i don't believe our mind could be that easily tricked.

12. jadin72

jadin72 Well-Known Member

thats it... im never taking quantum physics OR philosophy.

but jin, i disagree. our minds are a product of the universe, and what it wants us to think, we think. now, watch this lead onto the "is there a god" discussion...

13. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

blaugh dont even start that shit.

14. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I quite like quantum physics :)

15. DragonQuester

DragonQuester Well-Known Member

What the heck, now i am confused :-\ lol

16. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Those are two careers I do not want to do.

17. jc_106

jc_106 Well-Known Member

i love discussing these kind of things! i simply love it, and i don't even know why!

now, all of you, you can say i'm weird. :p

18. iamlegend

Incorrect.
    Your minds want you to think what I want them to think

19. jc_106

jc_106 Well-Known Member

that's a religious matter, now.

20. sir spamalot

sir spamalot Well-Known Member

there's a giant celestial walmart handing out free minds...

i like hearing an author's idea of quantum physics - take terry pratchet. he mentioned the source of all ideas being a small subatomic particle that flies through space. every now and again an idea will hit beings - like, for instance, perpetual motion. unfortunatley not all of these ideas hit people - the idea of perpetual motion hit a cockroach

nice ideology... but this comes from his idea of a "multi-verse" where as a joke god (or gods) decided to make the human world flat, sit on the backs of 4 elephants who all ride around on a giant turtle of no defined sex