1. This forum is in read-only mode.

The Thin Cord of Life- When to say there is no coming back

Discussion in 'Debates' started by dedboy, Apr 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dedboy

dedboy Guest

I haven't made a debate in a minute. Of course I haven't come across something like this in my personal life either.

I met this kid named Paul about five years ago, I was finishing up college, he was starting.
    No need to tell all about the fact we used to chase girls, study so deep, it would singe the skin off your teeth.

He was outgoing, very energetic, and always optimistic.

I hope you see the 'was' in the above sentence.

Eight months ago, after he moved to Kansas, he was struck by a driver on amphetamines and alcohol. T-Boned on his side of the car. He suffered very catastrophic injuries, the worst by far is the fact his skull was crushed.

Now at age 27, he spends his life in a hospital bed. On a feeding tube, with advanced brain damage.

This brings me to the topic at hand.

He always was adamant not to end up a vegetable. The man wanted the usual two weeks, then have his tube and artificial support pulled. Of course that was almost nine months ago now.

We all have seen other cases of people being sustained by feeding tubes, and artificial machinery.

But on a moral debate I suppose, how long is long enough, before you realize they may never recover. The team of doctors have said that there is no way physically he will ever leave the confines of the bed he ridden in.

My worst fear isn't death, being paralyzed sacres the hell out of me.
    If this happened to you, or someone you loved, what would you do?

Thank you for your input.

2. markswan

markswan Well-Known Member

Ugh.
    You word things very strangely :p
    By "the man" do you mean a person (doctor)? Or are you talking about some sort of medical protocol? Is taking a patient off of life-support after just two weeks legal in America? I can't find any evidence of a two-week limit...
    "Of course", why? : \
    In real life, I haven't.
    I don't want to sound like an asshole, but I'm going to go ahead and say: if there is absolutely no chance of him ever recovering from his vegetative state, then I don't see anything wrong with pulling the plug on him. However, the doctors could be wrong; are they really certain that he will never recover?
    If I were a vegetable, there would be nothing that I could do. If I were responsible for whether or not someone else with no significant brain activity and no hope of recovery; I'd let them go. If they were suffering greatly, and I knew that they'd want me to let them die; then I would definitely let them go (although, this likely wouldn't be possible for legal reasons). The idea of being paralysed scares me too, but it would only be terrible if I were conscious at the necessary level to acknowledge that I were paralysed. Something like Alzheimer's Disease would be a worse way to die, I feel; but being mentally aware whist being paralysed in a serious way would also be awful. It isn't really black and white across the board on this issue, it's hard to make decisions without specific examples.

3. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Well-Known Member

Pull the plug.

4. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

Hehe. I love that part of the Dethklok song.

Anyways. I have no idea. It is hard for me to say. Life should be lived, but if someone is like that, then I personally have no idea what to do. Flip a coin and decide your fate I would say.

5. msg2009

msg2009 Romulations sexiest member

My best friend and his family had to make the decision when his brother was assaulted they didn't want him to be a cabbage, in the same position I would do the same.

6. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member

Sounds about right.

7. dedboy

dedboy Guest

Good enough for me.

I felt the same thing too, oddly enough, the women usually choose to see if he'll pull a miracle. The guys would rather let him go.

Thanks again for the input- No need to let this get to a trolling state by letting in stay open any longer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.