1. This forum is in read-only mode.

The saddest ending in literature

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by Griffandir14, Dec 13, 2009.

1. themarquis

themarquis New Member

"Stardust" by Neil Gaiman.
    the guy and the girl get together, he dies after a normal lifetime, she lives forever with a limp to remind her of him.

2. m3xicanjo3

m3xicanjo3 Well-Known Member

"of mice and men" that or the outsiders "stay gold johny boy stay gold"

3. ADMSeraphes

ADMSeraphes Well-Known Member

I'd say To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee. Makes you sad about the way white men cheat black men.

4. ndsrapid

ndsrapid Well-Known Member

Alice in Wonderland! Damn, she just "woke up"! Wonderland was gone... *snif*

5. Zaertix

Zaertix Well-Known Member

The Outsiders and HBP probably were the two books that got me to actually cry. And yeah... One for the Morning Glory (John Barnes, GOOD BOOK!)

I could go on and on... But I digress.

6. Griffandir14

Griffandir14 Well-Known Member

Just read the new Jim Butcher Dresden Files book, Harry loses EVERYTHING! His ***, his *****, his ******, even his freaking ***. Then at the end he ends up getting ****. When Butcher said Changes he meant Changes.

7. katemurph1124

katemurph1124 Member

I think 'P.S I love you' is the saddest book I have read, I think I cried every time I picked it up.
    And then the film came out and it was Gerard Butler as Gerry, the guy who died and it just like who in their right mind would want to kill off Gerard Butler and that just made it sadder.

8. Adnan1992

Adnan1992 Well-Known Member

Hahaha- can't believe it - iv'e read most of these- except a Tale of Two Cities.

9. jaimitovond

jaimitovond Well-Known Member

A hundred years of solitude made me incredibly sad, knowing the only relationship based on true love would end up destroying the lineage, as well as the destruction of the town made me cry like a hungry baby

10. trimbletown

trimbletown Well-Known Member

The Boy in Striped Pyjamas was a hella bummer. I was all like "Awww....damn". Poor kid.

11. Protean44

Protean44 New Member

How about "the Happy Prince" by Oscar Wilde (the cartoon was narrated by Christopher Plummer or "The Gentle Giant". Just thinking about those cartoons/Books makes me well up..

''Little sparrow...?!"
    :'(

12. katemurph1124

katemurph1124 Member

I really want to read this, is it any good? even though its sad?

13. MessoMesso

MessoMesso Well-Known Member

While a bit inaccurate with the whole "the children in the camps aren't sent to their deaths along with the elderly and the rest part," it's a really good read. The movie did justice to things too.

14. Fathus

Fathus Member

How Many Miles To Babylon by Jennifer Johnston.

Fecking Masterpiece. No one else likes it as much as I do though. Supposedly the main character isn't demonstrative enough. *rage-face*

15. goodle101

goodle101 Well-Known Member

on the beach nevil shute very good book but ends sadly

16. Zydaline

Zydaline Well-Known Member

I thought the ending to Stephen King's The Shining and Carrie was really sad.

More mainstream-ish/literature-ish would be The Lotus Eater, Oscar Wilde's The Nightingale and the Rose and CD's The Great Expectations.

17. 2DamCerius

2DamCerius My eyes for your brain...fair trade.

H.G. Well's "The Invisible Man"

It was a "grotesque romance" so to speak. The scientist had many ways of going about himself, it's just that he could not find the cure to his own demise.

Imagine not to be able to be seen ever again by anyone, while you have to live with the fact that you will die unknown or unseen in this case.

18. Inunah

Inunah Well-Known Member

The entire Twilight saga has a sad ending. I mean, Bella didn't get ate, she just got bit. I wanted her to die! Dumb betch......

19. tarotmaniac

tarotmaniac Well-Known Member

And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie had a sad ending. They All died. No one survived, the never found out who the killer was and the killer committed suicide. So Yeah pretty depressing if you think about it.

20. Don9aldo

Don9aldo Well-Known Member

I've got a whole bloody list of books with depressing endings.

The Last Summer of the Death Warriors - Francisco X. Stork (About a boy with cancer, he doesn't die at the end but you get the feeling that he eventually does)

Caught in the Crossfire - Alan Gibbons (The main character dies at the end for no real reason)

Small Steps - Louis Sachar (The main character's pop-singer pseudo-girlfriend has her career ruined by an evil uncle/manager and a whole bunch of other bad stuff happens)

The Book Thief - Marcus Zusak (Everyone dies)

And I agree that the His Dark Materials trilogy had a depressing ending too.