1. This forum is in read-only mode.

The saddest ending in literature

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by Griffandir14, Dec 13, 2009.

1. ggrroohh

ggrroohh Well-Known Member

I remember reading that one.
    It was in the school's scylibus
    I remember the title now ;D
    Its "The Lotus Eater"

2. timmy1991

timmy1991 Well-Known Member

I forgot the title of the book, but this kid was searching for his dad, and he got mixed up in some terrorist organization from Italy (not the Mob) in order to help him find him. All he had to do was work for them. By the end of the book, he finds out that the group had killed his dad before the kid came to them, and when he tried to hide from them, he ended up being shot by a sniper (from the organization) from a building across the street as he left his apartment building....

well, it's either that, or the ending of Half-Blood Prince

3. Griffandir14

Griffandir14 Well-Known Member

I've got another one i just thought of. All four books in the Virtual War saga had very sad endings.

4. crimson089

crimson089 Well-Known Member

Can this be included?: The Illiad. paris, hector, achilles, and a whole lot more died. The trojans lost. it was really sad...

5. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Well-Known Member

That would be Scorpia.

6. Prios

Prios Member

I would say the Iliad counts, a great read also, everyone should read that and Anthony Esolen's translation of Dante's Inferno (Divine Comedy). But, I'm going to have to agree with TirithRR, Red Fern was downright depressing at times.

7. BubbleGumLove

BubbleGumLove Member

I agree with the book thief, that ones pretty depressing
    Has anyone read Gifted by Nikita Lalwani? That's got a pretty sad ending I think. In which an extremely bright child is pushed by her father to the point where she can't take it any more and puts herself in care..
    Also I don't remember the name, but when I was a little kid I read this book... It seems really nice and happy but then she has a miscarriage and is haunted by the baby, then at the end she dies of carbon monoxide poisoning. I looked at it the other day and was like, daaamn is that really a kids book?!

(I must admit its a bit stupid, but The Key by Marianne Curley totally made me cry when Rochelle died :'( I suppose I just get a little too involved!)

8. SlicedandDiced

SlicedandDiced Well-Known Member

For me its The Green Mile by Stephen King, The story is just too sad

9. NeoStriker

NeoStriker Well-Known Member

Do Visual Novels count? If so, the White End of Saya no Uta is saddest ending I have ever read in my life, and is the only one that has made me bawl and sob like a baby.

If not, the ending Of Mice and Men was sad too.

10. Fineliners

Fineliners Member

That was going to be my choice exactly. I cried :(

11. dean89

dean89 Well-Known Member

It may be sad, but I was angry at Stephen King for a long, long, long, long, long...time. I mean how?!! Why?!!

12. crioza89

crioza89 New Member

Hahaha for me it has to be tristan & iseult. I remember bawwing a bit after reading it a long time ago. Hardcore piece of classic lit.

13. SlicedandDiced

SlicedandDiced Well-Known Member

well he does make good tragedies... and horror and suspense and psychopathic and everything his best author of our life time =] that i give him

14. MessoMesso

MessoMesso Well-Known Member

The short story "The Scarlet Ibis." God dammit, why?! He was just a child, he was just a boy! It's not fair...

I'd post another story, a novel, but... I'm afraid some of those on this forum -coughs- would kill me after discovering the book's premise... Even though it's an autobiography?

15. catclarisa

catclarisa New Member

Twilight, because it makes me cry to think that the once dark, mysterious, blood-sucking, awesome vampires have now turned into a sissy, sparkling, all-over lame creatures.

But seriously, I'd have to say either Anne Frank's Diary or Deathly Hallows.

16. MessoMesso

MessoMesso Well-Known Member

MARRY ME.

17. stirgo1212

stirgo1212 Well-Known Member

Spoilers
    He doesen't die , there are 3 books after this one, a new one has just been released. However ive never read it.

18. bellsarc

bellsarc Well-Known Member

I read a book called Red Rage about a skits girl who was a loner and ended up getting expelled from the last school she could ever go to when she nearly killed the sister of a boy she likes because she thought the girl was his girlfriend.

19. msg2009

msg2009 Romulations sexiest member

the chinaman by stephen leather
    builds up the character right through the book so you really feel for him, then right at the end....

20. timmy1991

timmy1991 Well-Known Member

Well I just had to read that one for school, so I don't know how the rest are...