1. This forum is in read-only mode.

The Riddle

Discussion in 'Music' started by Stanley Richards, May 14, 2010.

1. Stanley Richards

Stanley Richards Well-Known Member

My first post in the HOBBIES Section O:

I've recently been listening to Gigi D' Agostino. My favorite song - The Riddle. It's filled with unorthadox words that I can't comprehend since I'm quite young. Can anyone listen to the song and tell me what it means?

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

it doesn't mean anything, the words are just random words inserted by the original artist (no gigi d'agostino is not the original artist). Basically the guy wrote the tune and his manager asked him to add words, so he added random words in as placeholders until he could think of real words. His manager then released it. The manager also offered a prize (unknown to the artist) for anyone who could figure out what the song meant. When the artist found out he was furious because the song doesnt mean anything and his fans had been misled.

Here's the original, by Nik Kershaw:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YKI2CVEC

I have a video of him performing it live, I'll see if I can upload it.

EDIT:

Nik Kershaw peforming The Riddle at Wembley Stadium for Live Aid, in 1985

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LJTZV1WY

3. Stanley Richards

I see. thank you very much. After my post, I started arguing with a friend. Now i've to go make amends. And I do know Nik Kershaw was the first to sing it.

4. MR4Y

MR4Y Well-Known Member

That's the thing that happens with "I Am the Walrus" by The Beatles. People still argue over the song meaning, even though The Beatles(not sure which one) stated they only made this song to trick fans into thinking it has some deep meanings.

You want something unorthodox? Listen to "Knots" by Gentle Giant.

5. Stanley Richards

DAMN! Thats like... a tongue twister or something.