1. This forum is in read-only mode.

The Pandora Console

Discussion in 'Gaming Lounge' started by anandjones, Feb 24, 2008.

1. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

I just saw on this article on nintendo-ds.dcemu.co.uk that there is this console that is supposed to be as powerful as the PSP and is supposed to be able to emulate DS games on it. It's called Pandora and it kinda looks like a DSL but bigger and with a keyboard and other buttons. It even has USB and SD slots. See the full article here.

http://nintendo-ds.dcemu.co.uk/the-future-of-homebrew-pandora-console--93261.html.

A bit more information here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandora_(console).

2. PhatomKids

PhatomKids Well-Known Member

Wooo... i would sure to buy one of those and sick it up to all my friend who have a psp.. look very cool with the keyboard and everything... But is this a console or a handheld

3. anandjones

Err, it's a handheld. They say it's going to be released in April this year in the US I think.

4. Tboi

Tboi Well-Known Member

Maybe i'll buy it, looks nice

5. kamage

kamage Well-Known Member

Looks big...The Price...

6. anandjones

Yes it is quite big but the price? It's gonna be the same as a PSP, well here in NZ anyway..

7. Warren_303

Warren_303 Well-Known Member

That looks pretty cool.

I'll wait to see how others like it when its released first.

8. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

its is me or it look heave?.....anyway IF it is able to emulate NDS game, that i really wonder how do you play game like EBA on it....clearly Analog Stick arent the same as Touch Screen

9. kamage

kamage Well-Known Member

Are you sure that the price will be like the PSP

Yeahh, I didn't post that....I was showering during that time, maybe it was my little cousin...

10. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Kamage, post that video one more time and you will be banned for 3 days. Enough is enough.

11. kamage

kamage Well-Known Member

Loony, Sorry about that, but I didn't post that man, My little cousin somehow got into my room while I was showering, and he loves Rick and Roll, and loves people getting Rick and roll'd....sorry once again, he just left my house, and he managed to do this forum, because the window was open, he doesn't know about the rules, and he went to his youtube account...and started following the threads, and posting the stuff... He's ten anyways... and very annoying, forgive me for his act of displeasueement to the forums :-X

Oh and the This, or That post, (My last post) was me, but I didn't check what he did, but he ran out of my room when I got in... then I just went to the This or That forum....and now here I am :-\

12. darkman

darkman Well-Known Member

The article stated that it was $330 USD. That is a bit much for a handheld system. But with the abilities that it claims it is capable of, I guess it would be a good deal. I think the future of homebrew and emulation has found its next generation portable. With the high cost of owning one, I think sales will start slow and gain momentum as the software support comes rolling in. It would be hard for me to scrape together enough cash to own one. I will probably be standing outside the store and pressing my nose against the glass wishing I had one. I really don't see any chance for the price coming down due to the nature of it not being a mainstream portable.

Having been in the GP32 and GP2X homebrew scene for a long time, the GP2X since the beginning, I would say that the GP2X is now entering its prime after about two years. Unless the developers are working on things right now, you will probably see a lot of ports and emulators transferred from the GP2X to the Pandora at first. I would think that original homebrew for the system that takes advantage of the hardware might take a little longer, being that it is more powerful and being more capable. I would hope the community that gathers around the system would be patient and very supportive of the developers giving them breathing room to work, as they will be doing it mostly in their free time and for free. I hope the system attracts the interest of new developers.
    Things may progress faster than I think. :eek:

edit: But I really don't see this system reaching its full potential in original homebrew software. The GP32 never did and the GP2X never will. The reason is, that it takes teams of developers working daily, taking sometimes months or even a year, on the mainstream software that we enjoy on the commercial systems, like PSP, DS, etc. The homebrew developer usually works alone and in their limited spare time while working a full time job, or going to school. You can usually see a little of the potential of a system by the emulation the hardware can handle.

13. trigun0x2

trigun0x2 New Member

I'm guessing that's a REALLY big coin.

14. airsoft1117

airsoft1117 Well-Known Member

If they would be able to make a N64 emulator for that i would most likely buy one.

15. Born2killx

Born2killx Well-Known Member

It's just Rick Roll.

16. Relys

Relys Well-Known Member

Ditto.

17. kamage

kamage Well-Known Member

wow 330 bucks? I'm not gonna buy that, I bet I can buy a new DS and PSP for the same price, and get the roms online ;D

18. anandjones

Yes but that doesn't seem that much to me, just a bit more than a PSP.

19. Warren_303

Warren_303 Well-Known Member

We should be safe to wait till the price drops after the release. Thats what I'll do anyway.

I agree with you guys on the N64 emu thought that would be cool.